Bullnose Forums

Tool Trailer for Handyman Service

Ray Cecil

I always thought of brush hogging and anything behind a Gravely hard work.

I'd rather shovel rocks with a pitchfork all day than spend a few hours behind one of those.

I'm glad you have a great wife and your finances together.

Good luck in your new venture! :nabble_smiley_good:

I love my gravely. 1957 model. Fires up no problem. Cuts pretty good. Its sweaty work, yes, but ive been through worse. Typically I dont operate it more than 30 minutes or so.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my gravely. 1957 model. Fires up no problem. Cuts pretty good. Its sweaty work, yes, but ive been through worse. Typically I dont operate it more than 30 minutes or so.

A coworker's dad is in construction. Was dragging his trailer home before christmas and the outer bearing on the passenger wheel disenegrated. He works out of his trailer and decided he needed to go buy a brand new one. So I got this for $950. Two bearings, a seal, a little clean up and some grease and I had her home.

12' Vnose Patriot Homesteader. Single 3500k axle.

Needs a little work to seal the roof. I think Ill do an electric brake upgrade and wire up a 7way harness.

20200104_142948.jpg.906f5a3b71c09f8d55e36162c36ea30d.jpg

A coworker's dad is in construction. Was dragging his trailer home before christmas and the outer bearing on the passenger wheel disenegrated. He works out of his trailer and decided he needed to go buy a brand new one. So I got this for $950. Two bearings, a seal, a little clean up and some grease and I had her home.

Needs a little work to seal the roof. I think Ill do an electric brake upgrade and wire up a 7way harness.

That's a steal, Ray! But I agree the electric brake upgrade is a good idea. That thing fully loaded would approach the weight of your truck.

Make sure you check out your hitch, drawbar, and ball to ensure all are up to the task.

Good score Ray! :nabble_smiley_good:

Were it me, I'd probably roll the roof with shower waterproofing like Ardex or RedCoat.

V-nose is nice for backing into tight spots...

Make sure you check out your hitch, drawbar, and ball to ensure all are up to the task.

Yeah, its a good trailer, but lacking some heavydutyness. Ebrakes for sure. Draw bar looks a little on the light duty side. 2" ball curently.

Yeah, its a good trailer, but lacking some heavydutyness. Ebrakes for sure. Draw bar looks a little on the light duty side. 2" ball curently.

I don't know what the frame is like but could you swap in a heavier axle that already has ebrakes?

Gary's saying that it's going to be as heavy as the truck.

Is that safe on a 3,500# axle?

I don't know what the frame is like but could you swap in a heavier axle that already has ebrakes?

Gary's saying that it's going to be as heavy as the truck.

Is that safe on a 3,500# axle?

I was just assuming that his Flareside is ~3500#'s. So loaded the tail would be as big as the dog.

As for swapping a heavier axle in that has e-brakes, that would probably work but it may mean you need different tires, and maybe wheels. The tires are usually load-rated for half of the axle capacity, and the heavier axles frequently have a different bolt pattern. So it can become an expensive proposition if not careful.

But, are the existing tires good? If they need replaced you can frequently order in tires mounted on new wheels for about what you can get new tires locally. My brother has done this several times lately and has been surprised how inexpensive that is.

Not that they have good prices on tires and wheels, but etrailer has been a go-to place for me when looking for parts. You can look there for axles, brakes, etc.

I was just assuming that his Flareside is ~3500#'s. So loaded the tail would be as big as the dog.

As for swapping a heavier axle in that has e-brakes, that would probably work but it may mean you need different tires, and maybe wheels. The tires are usually load-rated for half of the axle capacity, and the heavier axles frequently have a different bolt pattern. So it can become an expensive proposition if not careful.

But, are the existing tires good? If they need replaced you can frequently order in tires mounted on new wheels for about what you can get new tires locally. My brother has done this several times lately and has been surprised how inexpensive that is.

Not that they have good prices on tires and wheels, but etrailer has been a go-to place for me when looking for parts. You can look there for axles, brakes, etc.

Wow

I had no idea a truck could be so light.

My truck tares ~6,300 over the scale at the dump.

Wow

I had no idea a truck could be so light.

My truck tares ~6,300 over the scale at the dump.

Depends a lot on what the options are on the truck, but here's a page from the 1981 dealer facts book showing the base weights. Then there are extensive tables showing how much each option adds to each axle.

pg-36.thumb.jpg.df5a8b3f6c16dbaae64f81f2f66be8f3.jpg