Bullnose Forums

Tool Trailer for Handyman Service

Ray Cecil

I don't know what the frame is like but could you swap in a heavier axle that already has ebrakes?

Gary's saying that it's going to be as heavy as the truck.

Is that safe on a 3,500# axle?

I think a heavier axle would encourage overloading the frame. I can put electric brakes on the existing axle and not put too much in it. I should be able to have basic tools loaded, plus whatever I need for that day.

I think a heavier axle would encourage overloading the frame. I can put electric brakes on the existing axle and not put too much in it. I should be able to have basic tools loaded, plus whatever I need for that day.

Also, I havent weighed it, but with the 4x4, a tank of gas, and me in it, it might be pushing 4000lbs....maybe.

Also, I havent weighed it, but with the 4x4, a tank of gas, and me in it, it might be pushing 4000lbs....maybe.

So a 116" wheelbase f150 4x2 is just under 3000lbs. This truck is very basic. 4x4 is worth what? Maybe another 400lbs? Axles, diff, hubs, tcase. Yeah, there is no way its going to hit 4000lbs.

So a 116" wheelbase f150 4x2 is just under 3000lbs. This truck is very basic. 4x4 is worth what? Maybe another 400lbs? Axles, diff, hubs, tcase. Yeah, there is no way its going to hit 4000lbs.

Ray,

I actually weighed my '84 Flareside, and it was just under 3400 lbs. That was with me NOT in it, and I believe I calculated it based on the fuel tank being empty. Not sure how a 302 compares to a 300 in weight though.

You'd have the add weight of the transfer case, front driveshaft, and front diff and axles, wider springs, etc. I think you'd be pretty close to your 400 lb estimate once you added it all up.

I did post about it, so I'll see if I can find the thread back when I did it.

Edit:...Here is the link to when I weighed the truck.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/My-1984-F150-2wd-Flareside-Project-Blue-Mule-tp4515p14566.html

Ray,

I actually weighed my '84 Flareside, and it was just under 3400 lbs. That was with me NOT in it, and I believe I calculated it based on the fuel tank being empty. Not sure how a 302 compares to a 300 in weight though.

You'd have the add weight of the transfer case, front driveshaft, and front diff and axles, wider springs, etc. I think you'd be pretty close to your 400 lb estimate once you added it all up.

I did post about it, so I'll see if I can find the thread back when I did it.

Edit:...Here is the link to when I weighed the truck.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/My-1984-F150-2wd-Flareside-Project-Blue-Mule-tp4515p14566.html

We have had a page that was intended to answer some of these questions: Documentation/Specifications/Dimensions & Weights. Heretofore it has just had the dimensions and base curb weights, but today I've added the accessories weights.

However, as of now it doesn't include the engine and transmission options, and I've not found that information - yet. :nabble_smiley_cry:

We have had a page that was intended to answer some of these questions: Documentation/Specifications/Dimensions & Weights. Heretofore it has just had the dimensions and base curb weights, but today I've added the accessories weights.

However, as of now it doesn't include the engine and transmission options, and I've not found that information - yet. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Well there you go Gary, that documentation confirms that when I weighed my truck it was pretty accurate (I calculated the weight without driver and without fuel to be about 3385 lbs iirc), and the specified 4X2 weight is 3424 lbs. It also confirms Ray's estimate on the weight of the 4x4 components as the same truck in 4X4 is specified at 3825 lbs curb weight (exactly 400 lbs heavier than a 4X2).

Interesting that the 460 with EEC only adds 89#.

Also, that I have a ton of stuff in my truck (including myself)

Though the D44 HD probably weighs more than the straight axle I'd imagine was contemporary to this catalog.

Interesting that the 460 with EEC only adds 89#.

Also, that I have a ton of stuff in my truck (including myself)

Though the D44 HD probably weighs more than the straight axle I'd imagine was contemporary to this catalog.

Jim - I think you may be reading it incorrectly. I certainly did when I first looked. I was looking at the A/C weights, which vary by the engine. Is that what you were looking at?