Bullnose Forums

Fuel tank sending unit

I may be having a similar problem here's the story:

I installed the plastic tank (MTS 4252B) and a new sending unit, the correct PN that I imagine (Dorman equivalent of E0TZ9275G).

It certainly pays to compare pricing... these currently are on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Fuel-Tank-Level-Sending-Unit-For-Ford-E0TZ-9275-G-/182402944935

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ford-OEM-E0TZ-9275-G-Fuel-Sender-Sending-Unit-NOS-SHIPS-FREE-/254460100859

I've had similar problems. I put an AutoZone (Chinese, of course!) pump and sender assembly in my '86. I don't know where my problems lies, but my gauge is inaccurate. Full means full, but at 1/4 reading on the gauge I can only get about half capacity in the tank.

I guess if a gauge is goint to be off, I'd rather it err like mine does. It sure beats running out of fuel!

I ordered one from RockAuto for my ‘81. It has worked fairly well. It reads past full when you top off, and tends to have 2-3 gallons left when it reaches E which suits me fine. I wouldn’t say it’s super accurate, but for the old pulsing ICVR system I can’t complain. It has never let me run out.

I got my senders from A1 Auto years ago and with 5 gallons in the tanks the needle come up to the E mark and when full is over the F mark and I am happy with that.

I did have the rear float sink shortly after I put them in service. I used the old sender float and has been good since.

I did match each new sender to the old ones to make sure they were close to the same. I was sure the old ones were factory senders.

I don't see why you could not measure from the tanks flange to the bottom of the tank and do the same on the sender(s) to see if they reach close to the bottom.

Did you install the filter sock? Wonder if that could have something to do with how low the level gets before it will not pull fuel?

I thought both new senders had the filter socks but when I pulled the rear for the float it did nothave the sock on it. Because I did not drop the tank all the way out I had no way to look inside to see if it fell off and was floating around inside or not.

Dave ----

I ordered one from RockAuto for my ‘81. It has worked fairly well. It reads past full when you top off, and tends to have 2-3 gallons left when it reaches E which suits me fine. I wouldn’t say it’s super accurate, but for the old pulsing ICVR system I can’t complain. It has never let me run out.

I got my senders from A1 Auto years ago and with 5 gallons in the tanks the needle come up to the E mark and when full is over the F mark and I am happy with that.

I did have the rear float sink shortly after I put them in service. I used the old sender float and has been good since.

I did match each new sender to the old ones to make sure they were close to the same. I was sure the old ones were factory senders.

I don't see why you could not measure from the tanks flange to the bottom of the tank and do the same on the sender(s) to see if they reach close to the bottom.

Did you install the filter sock? Wonder if that could have something to do with how low the level gets before it will not pull fuel?

I thought both new senders had the filter socks but when I pulled the rear for the float it did nothave the sock on it. Because I did not drop the tank all the way out I had no way to look inside to see if it fell off and was floating around inside or not.

Dave ----

When I get the Arduino going for Big Blue so I can use the later senders with Bullnose gauges it will have a table that translates resistance on the sender to current to the gauge. In other words, I'll be able to tune it so the gauge reads what I want it to read.

And, since it is a computer it won't know if we change out the table and put in Bullnose resistances. So, if y'all want we'll have a way to calibrate the fuel gauges. :nabble_smiley_wink: