Bullnose Forums

White smoke.... Oh the joy...

Gsmblue

Gary, all 8 cyl bank fired truck EFI systems are grouped 4 end and 4 center cyls. So Injector 1 circuit is 1,4,5,8, injector 2 circuit is 2,3,5,6. If he has a leaking #8 injector the O2 sensor on the 1985-86 302 will not detect it as it monitors 1-4 only (right side). That is why starting in 1987 Ford moved the sensor to beyond the Y in the exhaust. The 1985-86 O2 sensors are not heated so have to be close to the exhaust ports.

Thanks for the clarification, Bill. :nabble_smiley_good:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK not that way for Mustangs, even SD

I have decided that the white smoke is not a major issue for now. No fluids are being consumed..

I think the problem has been all the short runs I do and the truck not getting up to temperature on these runs that are less than 5 miles. That combined with temps below freezing.. When I take her on longer runs of 10 miles plus, the smoke clears up...

I will keep hold of the injector and will pull all the injectors when the weather improves, but this will happen after I check all the plugs and do a compression test...

So, on to other issues, like the front windscreen leaking!

I have decided that the white smoke is not a major issue for now. No fluids are being consumed..

I think the problem has been all the short runs I do and the truck not getting up to temperature on these runs that are less than 5 miles. That combined with temps below freezing.. When I take her on longer runs of 10 miles plus, the smoke clears up...

I will keep hold of the injector and will pull all the injectors when the weather improves, but this will happen after I check all the plugs and do a compression test...

Sounds like a good plan. But, I'm not a fan of compression tests. Do a leak-down test.

On the windscreen leak, if you are looking for a temp fix you can use flowable RTV. It won't stop rust if it has already started. But if the problem is just that the sealant has cracked, this this will flow in and seal the cracks.

See my leaks I found. My truck was leaking water and it turned out to be multiple places.

See my leaks I found. My truck was leaking water and it turned out to be multiple places.

Thanks for the advice. I did see your posts on leaks and I am certain I have no real ideal where my leaks are coming from right now!

The plan is to change the windscreen as it is cracked.

Pull the interior as much as possible (in the spring when it is dry) then chase the water leak.

With regards to the compression test/leak test. I need to read up on this stuff too! Thanks for the comment, sounds like I need more tools/widgets!

Thanks for the advice. I did see your posts on leaks and I am certain I have no real ideal where my leaks are coming from right now!

The plan is to change the windscreen as it is cracked.

Pull the interior as much as possible (in the spring when it is dry) then chase the water leak.

With regards to the compression test/leak test. I need to read up on this stuff too! Thanks for the comment, sounds like I need more tools/widgets!

Mine had no factory sealant in the right side airbox, I discovered that when I was resealing the cowl area. I went out to Darth in a downpour when I had the carpet out and a bare floor, sat there and watched a trail start right up by the junction between the floorpan, firewall and inner side panel and trickle down the seam to the door opening then go right along there and puddle. Explained why I had rust all along that section. When I removed the panel (on a non-A/C truck it will be the vent) and used my phone to take a picture I saw metal with only paint on it, no sealer.

Mine had no factory sealant in the right side airbox, I discovered that when I was resealing the cowl area. I went out to Darth in a downpour when I had the carpet out and a bare floor, sat there and watched a trail start right up by the junction between the floorpan, firewall and inner side panel and trickle down the seam to the door opening then go right along there and puddle. Explained why I had rust all along that section. When I removed the panel (on a non-A/C truck it will be the vent) and used my phone to take a picture I saw metal with only paint on it, no sealer.

Dad's truck had some of the tranny-cover screws missing and others not tightened down properly. And, this was from the factory as the carpet had never been out. So, water had been coming in on the right side of the cover, running down between the carpet and floor, and rusting the floor away. Which explains why you could see the ground when I pulled the carpet.