Bullnose Forums

Too Dead Center tool

Danny G

I made a simple one by taking the porcelain out of a plug, tapping the hole through the middle, and running a carriage bolt in it along with a lock nut. It isn't fancy but it works.

So I'd go with the simple one. Yes, you have to rotate the engine back and forth and find the mid-point for TDC, but it isn't difficult.

I made a simple one by taking the porcelain out of a plug, tapping the hole through the middle, and running a carriage bolt in it along with a lock nut. It isn't fancy but it works.

So I'd go with the simple one. Yes, you have to rotate the engine back and forth and find the mid-point for TDC, but it isn't difficult.

That is how I do it Gary.

But dome the end of the bolt so you don't create a burr (hot spot) on the piston crown.

Then slip the wheel around until you get the same degrees either side of tdc.

I have to remember the alternator pulley trick! 😉

Let me see if I can dig mine out of the bottom of my *homemade and specialty tools* drawer....

Edit:

IMG_20191118_050009.thumb.jpg.79af078697f890f78b4a6a040b69a28d.jpg

That is how I do it Gary.

But dome the end of the bolt so you don't create a burr (hot spot) on the piston crown.

Then slip the wheel around until you get the same degrees either side of tdc.

I have to remember the alternator pulley trick! 😉

Let me see if I can dig mine out of the bottom of my *homemade and specialty tools* drawer....

Edit:

Jim - I put the carriage bolt in with the head hitting the piston. But I may have had to turn the head of the carriage bolt down in the lathe to get it through the spark plug hole - I don't remember.

Jim - I put the carriage bolt in with the head hitting the piston. But I may have had to turn the head of the carriage bolt down in the lathe to get it through the spark plug hole - I don't remember.

I realized this after I replied.... :nabble_smiley_blush:

Facing either way, it accomplishes the same thing. :nabble_anim_handshake:

I realized this after I replied.... :nabble_smiley_blush:

Facing either way, it accomplishes the same thing. :nabble_anim_handshake:

I don't have anything to check TDC now but seems like either way is pretty close to the same method, and either are better then a thumb over the hole and feeling pressure to guess.

The stop works by stopping it in both directions and marking TDC.

The plunger you have to watch rise and fall and then mark TDC.

Maybe I'll try both lol.

I don't have anything to check TDC now but seems like either way is pretty close to the same method, and either are better then a thumb over the hole and feeling pressure to guess.

Maybe I'll try both lol.

No, there is a big flat spot (arc?) near tdc.

It's much more accurate to stop on the upswing either side, sum and divide.

Maybe I'll try both lol.

Here’s what I used on aircraft.

On a truck I’ve got it on compression stroke then use a pencil and as your moving the piston feel where it stops moving up and starts moving down split the difference and see where you are on the timing mark.

The tool for aircraft has a degree wheel to split the difference.

https://aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?id=E25

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s what I used on aircraft.

On a truck I’ve got it on compression stroke then use a pencil and as your moving the piston feel where it stops moving up and starts moving down split the difference and see where you are on the timing mark.

The tool for aircraft has a degree wheel to split the difference.

https://aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?id=E25

Ive never needed more than a pencil, stick or screwdriver to get close enough. I use my finger to feel for compression stroke.