Bullnose Forums

Question on authentic Ford accessories

Vic Roma

All Genuine Ford parts will bear an engineering number, NOT the actual part number.

The part number will be on the box, bag, wrapping or whatever type of container it comes in.

There is Motorcraft....

But from what I have seen there will be subtext in the MPC giving the equivalent Motorcraft number for things like switches and valves.

There is also FRPP (Ford Racing Performance Parts)

Gary and I were just discussing this re: the 460 waterpump backing plate.

Different numbers, exact same piece.

While Steve83 had a meltdown over this, it is absolute fact.

Do all Ford accessories have the Ford brand stamp, or are there Ford accessories that come in boxes that bear the name of the third party manufacturer?

I agree with Jim. But I don't know for sure about the boxes having the manufacturers name.

This all makes sense but this example explains what I meant.

I found this item on eBay, 48F3BD13-23B4-45AE-AC17-E8232979614D.jpeg.48edab18d61bb471e33c9878113bbca7.jpeg

It looks like an OEM Ford part, but the contents show a non-Ford branded part,

E10ECB42-820D-4B00-8C3D-9A25BC437E5F.jpeg.0f18995ae2db1763850b48c773ce04f2.jpeg

Is this typical? Do all Ford-branded OEM boxes contain Ford brand stamped parts, or is it common to have contents from different manufacturers?

This all makes sense but this example explains what I meant.

I found this item on eBay,

Is this typical? Do all Ford-branded OEM boxes contain Ford brand stamped parts, or is it common to have contents from different manufacturers?

Misuse of intellectual property

It may fit Fords, but it's not a Ford product.

Go have a look at Scatch's thread re: XLT push bumper trim.

You'll see even more of it...

Misuse of intellectual property

It may fit Fords, but it's not a Ford product.

Go have a look at Scatch's thread re: XLT push bumper trim.

You'll see even more of it...

What I thought. So, Ford parts are *always* stamped with the Ford oval and or engineering etc. part numbers?

The reason I ask:

An NOS part I bought recently came in an unopened box, yellow tape it was so old, but the box certainly looked unmolested in any way. When I opened the box, the item was neatly wrapped as you’d expect in a new, factory made/issued part, but nowhere did it say Ford. Only an unknown brand on one prominent location, and that was it. I was thinking I’ve been duped but it looks too neat and new to be a shady swap that could very well be legitimate.

Couple comments...

I just ordered a new Motorcraft DY-893 Ignition Module from Amazon as many others have, and while I haven't received it yet, there are a lot of comments stating that the module itself has no Ford Motorcraft markings on it of any kind. It's not that it's necessarily a different brand...but it's not marked in any way.

It does come in a Motorcraft bag, or in some cases a box apparently, but the modules themselves are blank as it were. I did see where one guy said that he contacted Ford and they did confirm that they are actual Motorfcraft parts and no they are not marked. Take that with a grain of salt.

Anyway...the other thing is,...

I've seen several Ebay auctions where they have part X sitting next to an original Ford box. Many times you will see in the auction comments that the box is not included in the sale. There are a couple reasons for this, but one of them is that they are selling new aftermarket parts listed as NOS Ford parts. One of them I have seen with some regularity is Flareside tail lights.

Couple comments...

I just ordered a new Motorcraft DY-893 Ignition Module from Amazon as many others have, and while I haven't received it yet, there are a lot of comments stating that the module itself has no Ford Motorcraft markings on it of any kind. It's not that it's necessarily a different brand...but it's not marked in any way.

It does come in a Motorcraft bag, or in some cases a box apparently, but the modules themselves are blank as it were. I did see where one guy said that he contacted Ford and they did confirm that they are actual Motorfcraft parts and no they are not marked. Take that with a grain of salt.

Anyway...the other thing is,...

I've seen several Ebay auctions where they have part X sitting next to an original Ford box. Many times you will see in the auction comments that the box is not included in the sale. There are a couple reasons for this, but one of them is that they are selling new aftermarket parts listed as NOS Ford parts. One of them I have seen with some regularity is Flareside tail lights.

I see those eBay/Amazon listings too. I check for “manufacturer” in item descriptions or when in doubt, I will ask the seller. But in my case, I was the first to open the box. Seller did not even open it to take photos, which I liked as it ensured there was no tampering. But it was after opening that made me question the item’s authenticity, or maybe I stumbled across a rarely occurring Ford parts phenomenon.