Bullnose Forums

Replacing Sliding Rear Window with solid Glass - good idea" Which gasket do I use?

Thickness is NOT the same.

The groove for a factory slider is like 7/8" wide.

An aftermarket slider or single glass will not stay in there.

Jim,

I meant the thickness of the body (the sheet metal width where the gasket clamps around the body) should be the same regardless of window type. I guess that would be described as the gasket's "outside spacing/gap".

I know the gasket thickness (where the glass sits - the gasket's "inside spacing/gap") is different for the slider versus solid.

Fuzzface was the first one to nail the correct answer. The factory slider used a weatherstrip with a really wide groove. If you run a solid window, you need the weatherstrip for a fixed glass.

btw - If you're looking for a used window, they're the same form 1973-1996 (and '97 F250HD/F350).

Regarding the gasket that says "Original Sliding Rear Window" it does seem strange to note that. Why would it matter? If the body opening and thickness is the same for solid window and slider window). I know the gasket is different for each style window - but what the truck came with originally should not matter.

Why would it be odd to offer a gasket for a factory slider?

It's a piece of rubber, left out in the elements, they get old, brittle and leak as Dave noted.

Would you expect 35 year old tires to hold air and drive?

Regarding the gasket that says "Original Sliding Rear Window" it does seem strange to note that. Why would it matter? If the body opening and thickness is the same for solid window and slider window). I know the gasket is different for each style window - but what the truck came with originally should not matter.

It's a piece of rubber, left out in the elements, they get old, brittle and leak as Dave noted.

By the way, I just replaced the rear window seal on my solid back window, and used the seal that came with my complete cab kit made by Fairchild. I don't know if they sell the rear window seal by itself, but it did fit OK. There is a little bit of a gap in one or both of the lower corners, but the original Ford seal was like that as well.

I'm only mentioning for this for brands sake, in case you can find a Fairchild seal.

By the way, I just replaced the rear window seal on my solid back window, and used the seal that came with my complete cab kit made by Fairchild. I don't know if they sell the rear window seal by itself, but it did fit OK. There is a little bit of a gap in one or both of the lower corners, but the original Ford seal was like that as well.

I'm only mentioning for this for brands sake, in case you can find a Fairchild seal.

I love my rear slider. I had a bullnose with a solid back glass and no A/C down in Tulsa/Skiatook area for awhile. Its hot as heck and I wished I had a rear slider then. I drove my current truck around all summer here with the slider open and it was nice. Just make sure your exhaust is plumbed well, if not, you will suck exhaust fumes into the cab when the rear slider is open.

Because it is being mentioned in the gasket choices for a solid window. See the first post (lower arrow). That gasket is for a Solid window (it's the comment below it that I'm saying is odd).

Or maybe I'm just misinterpreting the parts list.

I think all the gaskets listed on the page (in my first post) are only for the Solid Windows (Item 1 is Solid with clear glass or solid with tinted glass) there are no Sliding Window glass choices on that page.

Because it is being mentioned in the gasket choices for a solid window. See the first post (lower arrow). That gasket is for a Solid window (it's the comment below it that I'm saying is odd).

Or maybe I'm just misinterpreting the parts list.

I think all the gaskets listed on the page (in my first post) are only for the Solid Windows (Item 1 is Solid with clear glass or solid with tinted glass) there are no Sliding Window glass choices on that page.

When I re-installed my slider, I took it completely apart, that is, removed the vertical bars on both sides of the "sliding glass and all the channels. Removed all the glass panels, clean each part individually.

Applied widow tine sheets to each glass panel THEN assembled, This way there is no cut-marks or gaps where the glass meets the gaskets.

Reassembled, and still dry/quiet 3 years later...

BTW get a steel slider latch kit, plastic ones snap off after a few times.....