Bullnose Forums

Too tired to search for start problem

BeagleRock

Hi gang,another semi-stupid question.

83 ford f150 351w won't start w/key intermittently but will start every time w/remote starter switch from Harbour Freight.

Key switch on column is kind of stiff but it still turns on everything i.e.; Radio,blower fan etc. Oh and the engine does turn over every time via the key it just won't start.

Thanks Randy

Randy, you might try checking the neutral safety switch (or the clutch interlock, if '83's have them)

If you consistently get signal there, maybe it needs adjustment or replacement?

Your Sig doesn't say which transmission you have...

If it's an automatic, try starting in neutral instead of park next time it happens.

If you have a clutch switch, you can unplug it and jumper the harness socket with a spare 15-20A fuse.

I showed pictures of this a month or so back.

Randy, you might try checking the neutral safety switch (or the clutch interlock, if '83's have them)

If you consistently get signal there, maybe it needs adjustment or replacement?

Your Sig doesn't say which transmission you have...

If it's an automatic, try starting in neutral instead of park next time it happens.

If you have a clutch switch, you can unplug it and jumper the harness socket with a spare 15-20A fuse.

I showed pictures of this a month or so back.

Sorry it's a C6 auto.

Yes I thought about that but was leaning towards the ignition switch as I occasionally have to jar or thump the steering wheel to get my gauges and blower motor to come on.

Sorry it's a C6 auto.

Yes I thought about that but was leaning towards the ignition switch as I occasionally have to jar or thump the steering wheel to get my gauges and blower motor to come on.

Completely disregard my first reply.

Somehow I never read the second paragraph of your post.

Can you imagine how many times it's been used in the last 36 years?

Try looking at the EVTM's under resources when you get some rest.

Go to the ignition section and find starter engages but no spark.

Either there's no power to the coil, or a problem with the distributor/ignition box.

Intermittent electric problems are the most difficult to diagnose.

It never cuts out on you while driving?

Sorry it's a C6 auto.

I'd bet on the ignition switch. It is a common problem this time of year as things start getting cold - and this morning, Randy, it'll be worse with the wind whistling through from Canada. But usually the truck will run although the gauges and blower motor won't come on. However yours is just slightly more badly adjusted or the grease is harder, and it isn't allowing the switch to come back to the Run position fully.

One thing you can try instead of bumping the column is to roll the key back a bit farther. But the way to fix it is explained on the Ignition Switch tab here: Documentation/Electrical/Ignition.

Completely disregard my first reply.

Somehow I never read the second paragraph of your post.

Can you imagine how many times it's been used in the last 36 years?

Try looking at the EVTM's under resources when you get some rest.

Go to the ignition section and find starter engages but no spark.

Either there's no power to the coil, or a problem with the distributor/ignition box.

Intermittent electric problems are the most difficult to diagnose.

It never cuts out on you while driving?

Thanks Jim, no cut out while driving. Yes that switch has been used a few times for sure!

I'd bet on the ignition switch. It is a common problem this time of year as things start getting cold - and this morning, Randy, it'll be worse with the wind whistling through from Canada. But usually the truck will run although the gauges and blower motor won't come on. However yours is just slightly more badly adjusted or the grease is harder, and it isn't allowing the switch to come back to the Run position fully.

One thing you can try instead of bumping the column is to roll the key back a bit farther. But the way to fix it is explained on the Ignition Switch tab here: Documentation/Electrical/Ignition.

Good morning/afternoon Gary and yes it's a bit frosty today and yes the grease has become hardened because its been stiff for awhile now, even when temps were in the 90s. I'm inclined to believe the ign. Switch is faulty mainly due to the jarring required to get some things operable. A cleaning w/deoxit would more than likely cure my problem but $15.99 for deoxit vs $19.99 for a brand new Borg Warner switch. I think I'll install a new switch w/lifetime warranty.

A good cleaning and lube job however is necessary at this point as it's getting very difficult to turn the key switch. I fear if I don't fix this I'll be looking at repairing that little switch engagement rod or whatever its called. Anyway thanks for the diagram and experienced knowledge!

Stay warm tonight :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Good Sunday afternoon Gary,it's a beautiful day to replace ignition switch. It's done ,however I failed to mention last week ,and this sounds weird. So I'll do my best. When you turn the key to start ,the engine turns over fine but won't actually start until you release the keyswitch because you're thinking its not going to start. I hope you understand that little explanation. Also on the old ignition switch the starter would grind as if to still be semi-engaged but still you would have to release before the engine would actually start but the starter grind would happen while releasing the keyswitch.

Any questions let me know please and enjoy this beautiful November day in okie land!

Good Sunday afternoon Gary,it's a beautiful day to replace ignition switch. It's done ,however I failed to mention last week ,and this sounds weird. So I'll do my best. When you turn the key to start ,the engine turns over fine but won't actually start until you release the keyswitch because you're thinking its not going to start. I hope you understand that little explanation. Also on the old ignition switch the starter would grind as if to still be semi-engaged but still you would have to release before the engine would actually start but the starter grind would happen while releasing the keyswitch.

Any questions let me know please and enjoy this beautiful November day in okie land!

Randy - Did you use the process shown on the Ignition Switch tab here to properly set the switch up? Documentation/Electrical/Ignition.

As for the day, it is beautiful!