Bullnose Forums

Winch Mount Options

Ray Cecil

Oh, the debate and :nabble_poo-23_orig: flies over batteries and brands.

It's been said that there are only really three manufactures and everything else is rebranded.

So Yuasa, Johnson Controls and (I forget.. :nabble_smiley_teeth:)

Make everything like Die-Hard, Autocraft, etc..

I think i am going to get a deep cycle and see how it goes.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought the Odyssey at 4Wheel Parts in Tulsa, but they are available lots of places. 4Wheel Parts said they sell a lot of them to offroaders as they are good, solid batteries.

No experience with Interstate other than Rusty had one and it worked fine.

Gary, your test user account is active....

Not any more. Fixed it. But thanks.

Not any more. Fixed it. But thanks.

If your battery is just going to be running the winch, deep cycle would be ideal. I have the cheap deep cycle from oreillys and I run a fridge on it while camping. Id rather buy a 100$ battery and risk ruining it with a new system than a 200$ battery.

Depending on how hard/long youre running it, bring something to monitor your Volts so you dont drain it while youre still having fun.

My inverter cuts power once the battery drops to 11.9V.

And I have had to use this battery to start a v6 engine and it did.

If your battery is just going to be running the winch, deep cycle would be ideal. I have the cheap deep cycle from oreillys and I run a fridge on it while camping. Id rather buy a 100$ battery and risk ruining it with a new system than a 200$ battery.

Depending on how hard/long youre running it, bring something to monitor your Volts so you dont drain it while youre still having fun.

My inverter cuts power once the battery drops to 11.9V.

And I have had to use this battery to start a v6 engine and it did.

Upgraded from 105 amp to 145 amp alternator tonight on the silverado. Already had the 145 from the 4.8 LS motor sitting here. All I needed was a longer belt.

Ive got logs to retrieve this weekend. So tomorrow I will be testing out the winch without the aux battery setup yet. Ive got several logs in the yard I can run the experiment with.

Upgraded from 105 amp to 145 amp alternator tonight on the silverado. Already had the 145 from the 4.8 LS motor sitting here. All I needed was a longer belt.

Ive got logs to retrieve this weekend. So tomorrow I will be testing out the winch without the aux battery setup yet. Ive got several logs in the yard I can run the experiment with.

Specs on the starting battery....

Screenshot_20191114-184941_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8239c5119a0d996feba9aae0e07493d6.jpg

You should be good. Have fun!

Specs on the starting battery....

Just for your info. On something like this I usually run seconds on batteries. Interstate has them, I used to get them for my daily driver back in the day. Oreilly calls them Recycled, Once they have been on the shelf for so many months then they get marked down. price is considerably lower. I just got an Optima for @50 $. Not the best battery but for the money it will work in my jeep. Wanting to do the double battery setup since I added a winch to the jeep last month.

Those new Apache boxes (Pelican knock offs) at Horrid Fate are getting great reviews....

"Horrid Fate"!!! Hahahahaha!!!!

Yeah, I just missed a $45 truck toolbox on FB marketplace just down the street from me!!! Day late and a dollar short.

I've been waiting for "Horrid Fate" to get the receiver hitch winch mount back in stock. I've tried twice now. Maybe today will be the day.

The 13x18x6" case is on sale right now.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4800-Weatherproof-Protective-Case-X-Large-Black-64250.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMzI3NzY1NTAiLCJza3UiOiI2NDI1MCIsImlzIjoiNDQuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0AIjoiMTI4NTMifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A

I've seen people who use them for panniers go down before.

On the trail, no problem and on the street just rashed up.

Neither one cracked or popped open.

The 13x18x6" case is on sale right now.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4800-Weatherproof-Protective-Case-X-Large-Black-64250.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMzI3NzY1NTAiLCJza3UiOiI2NDI1MCIsImlzIjoiNDQuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0AIjoiMTI4NTMifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A

I've seen people who use them for panniers go down before.

On the trail, no problem and on the street just rashed up.

Neither one cracked or popped open.

I had a set if Pelicans on a KLR650. They are tough. Way better than aluminim panniers.