Bullnose Forums

Winch Mount Options

Ray Cecil

Okay. I need a winch mount for the front of my truck. I am going to buy a 2nd winch for the truck. Just bought one for the trailer. I went with the Harbor Freight 3500 lb winch for the trailer. Might get a 2nd one for the truck. The winch is NOT for pulling the truck, but is for pulling logs.

I need options. Fast. People are filling my calendar up with tree to collect and some of them are nice specimens. I need to take advantage of this.

Can yall help me brainstorm?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think mounting a winch on the front of a Bullnose is going to be a quick solution. The issue is that there aren't many new winch bumpers being made for these trucks, although I did see one recently so maybe you can find it by searching. And the old Warn bumpers are sought after and are pretty rare.

Another option I've seen on Facebook is to cut an opening in the center of a standard Bullnose bumper, mount the winch behind the bumper, and pass the line through. But that requires fabrication and will take even longer.

So, let's talk about the winch on trailer, which should be faster. You'll be tempted to bolt it to the floor/deck of the trailer, but then your line will always drag across the deck. And, the winch won't be helping you get the log onto the back end of the trailer. Instead I'd put the winch about 12 - 18" above the deck on a stand of some kind.

I don't think mounting a winch on the front of a Bullnose is going to be a quick solution. The issue is that there aren't many new winch bumpers being made for these trucks, although I did see one recently so maybe you can find it by searching. And the old Warn bumpers are sought after and are pretty rare.

Another option I've seen on Facebook is to cut an opening in the center of a standard Bullnose bumper, mount the winch behind the bumper, and pass the line through. But that requires fabrication and will take even longer.

So, let's talk about the winch on trailer, which should be faster. You'll be tempted to bolt it to the floor/deck of the trailer, but then your line will always drag across the deck. And, the winch won't be helping you get the log onto the back end of the trailer. Instead I'd put the winch about 12 - 18" above the deck on a stand of some kind.

As far as the trailer goes, I think I found a good cheap and fast option. See pics below.

2019-11-06_13-18-54.png.5b10adb1b8aaf4ff1382b959319a0a24.png

2019-11-06_13-19-41.png.824c14133f3b8ace310decff77e2d7d0.png

If I go this route, I can mount the winch to the truck instead of the trailer. I solve the issue of the winch being too low. I can also park the trailer, and back the truck down into the woods and winch logs out. Then just drag them with the truck up to the trailer.

As far as the trailer goes, I think I found a good cheap and fast option. See pics below.

If I go this route, I can mount the winch to the truck instead of the trailer. I solve the issue of the winch being too low. I can also park the trailer, and back the truck down into the woods and winch logs out. Then just drag them with the truck up to the trailer.

Looks like it'll work. :nabble_smiley_good:

You need a way to keep the nose of the log up out of the dirt.

And I would say you need a much bigger winch.

Horrid Fate winches are slow enough (except the new Warrior) and when loaded they are going to slow even more (before they melt down)

Remind me which alternator you have in this vehicle?

Be sure to run oversized cables, because when the time comes you don't want to have to redo that as well.

You need a way to keep the nose of the log up out of the dirt.

And I would say you need a much bigger winch.

Horrid Fate winches are slow enough (except the new Warrior) and when loaded they are going to slow even more (before they melt down)

Remind me which alternator you have in this vehicle?

Be sure to run oversized cables, because when the time comes you don't want to have to redo that as well.

Sorry for the confusion. Once I realized the best plan, I didnt properly update you guys.

The plan: mount winch on rear hitch of Silverado. Mount a snatch block in the middle of the trailer over the fender. Run winch cable across trailer past other fender. Log will be positioned parallel to trailer on the side opposite snatch block. Wrap cable over and back under log. Attach cable to trailer. Roll log up ramps with winch. I wont need to ever drag the log or lift one end onto trailer. The winch side loads it up over the trailer fender.

Sorry for the confusion. Once I realized the best plan, I didnt properly update you guys.

The plan: mount winch on rear hitch of Silverado. Mount a snatch block in the middle of the trailer over the fender. Run winch cable across trailer past other fender. Log will be positioned parallel to trailer on the side opposite snatch block. Wrap cable over and back under log. Attach cable to trailer. Roll log up ramps with winch. I wont need to ever drag the log or lift one end onto trailer. The winch side loads it up over the trailer fender.

Screenshot_20191106-200339_Chrome.thumb.jpg.75950da7a33ca67e8dc6f81ef2e17c9b.jpg

Something like this.