Bullnose Forums

Fog Light Bezel, Switch, etc

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait! :nabble_anim_jump: I love the process of drawing things up that become 3-dimensional items.

Ok, guys, got a new toy for Christmas, a Flashforge 3D printer. If I provide a good sample can someone make me the needed file so I can manufacture some trim clips for my convertible? There are 10 of them NLA from anywhere except one company says maybe, but at $14.58 each that is $145.80 = shipping and maybe tax. Even for a spool of the high priced filament it will still be cheaper.

Ok, guys, got a new toy for Christmas, a Flashforge 3D printer. If I provide a good sample can someone make me the needed file so I can manufacture some trim clips for my convertible? There are 10 of them NLA from anywhere except one company says maybe, but at $14.58 each that is $145.80 = shipping and maybe tax. Even for a spool of the high priced filament it will still be cheaper.

Bill - I'll be happy to draw it up and send you the file. Most printers I've researched like .STL files, but you should check yours to see what it would like for optimal performance.

How 'bout you start another thread about this? I've sent you an email regarding when I can do it, but we can do most of the work here on the forum so that others can see what is going on. And, that may suggest things for the Bullnose trucks that can be made. Who knows what you can make?

Start the thread and post some pics so I can get an idea of what we are talking about. I may be able to ask for specific measurements that you can provide and won't have to ship anything.

Bill - I'll be happy to draw it up and send you the file. Most printers I've researched like .STL files, but you should check yours to see what it would like for optimal performance.

How 'bout you start another thread about this? I've sent you an email regarding when I can do it, but we can do most of the work here on the forum so that others can see what is going on. And, that may suggest things for the Bullnose trucks that can be made. Who knows what you can make?

Start the thread and post some pics so I can get an idea of what we are talking about. I may be able to ask for specific measurements that you can provide and won't have to ship anything.

what size piece is that printer capable of producing?

what size piece is that printer capable of producing?

This is the issue with "consumer" 3-D printers. they are "additive" printer for the most part and don't truly "fuse" resin.

They "spit-out" tiny drops they attach to each other.

I could not find one (under 5K) that had any structural integrity in the piece being made.

They key here is structural and thermal integrity.

Hope you have good success though......

This is the issue with "consumer" 3-D printers. they are "additive" printer for the most part and don't truly "fuse" resin.

They "spit-out" tiny drops they attach to each other.

I could not find one (under 5K) that had any structural integrity in the piece being made.

They key here is structural and thermal integrity.

Hope you have good success though......

The machines you are talking about are all filament extrusion machines.

They don't "fuse resin" at all.

They use heat to melt a *polymer* and adhere it to other polymer already laid down.

The Formlabs printer and some other consumer grade printers DO use stereo lithography to fuse a resin (or monomer) with ultraviolet lasers.

I don't know of any consumer grade laser printers that are powerful enough to do laser sintering of powdered metals like Shapeways does.

Probably due to the current required or the liability.

Although there are plenty of CNC *cutting* lasers out there that work in two planes, just like a plasma table does.

The machines you are talking about are all filament extrusion machines.

They don't "fuse resin" at all.

They use heat to melt a *polymer* and adhere it to other polymer already laid down.

The Formlabs printer and some other consumer grade printers DO use stereo lithography to fuse a resin (or monomer) with ultraviolet lasers.

I don't know of any consumer grade laser printers that are powerful enough to do laser sintering of powdered metals like Shapeways does.

Probably due to the current required or the liability.

Although there are plenty of CNC *cutting* lasers out there that work in two planes, just like a plasma table does.

Hmmm,

It does look like Formlabs is coming out with a printer that laser fuses (sinters) Nylons. (11 & 12)

https://formlabs.com/3d-printers/fuse-1/

Nice machine, but at $10K I could wait a while for someone else to make it and ship it to me. :nabble_smiley_argh: However, one of these days those capabilities will come down by a factor of 10. I hope.

And this is why we have places like Shapeways that can give us mere mortals access to printers costing a half million dollars....

And this is why we have places like Shapeways that can give us mere mortals access to printers costing a half million dollars....

Yep. Shapeways just announced their new HP printer that does Nylon. If we get Bill's retainer nailed dimensionally but it doesn't have the needed strength then he can have them print it.