Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Adjusted the set screw for the AOD throttle rod again and had a pretty good drive yesterday (all things considered). Ended up turning the screw back in to original position and then in one more turn.

Still have some odd behavior going on but I don't think it is the transmission at this point. Next up is looking at the U-joints like Gary suggested. Vibration was like what I'd expect if I had a low or flat tire (checked those, they're all good!).

Other than that, got the plugs changed on my wife's '01 mustang V6. That one will be leaving us soon.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Adjusted the set screw for the AOD throttle rod again and had a pretty good drive yesterday (all things considered). Ended up turning the screw back in to original position and then in one more turn.

Still have some odd behavior going on but I don't think it is the transmission at this point. Next up is looking at the U-joints like Gary suggested. Vibration was like what I'd expect if I had a low or flat tire (checked those, they're all good!).

Other than that, got the plugs changed on my wife's '01 mustang V6. That one will be leaving us soon.

That's progress, and as Jim says, progress is good. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the driveshaft, don't just check the u-joints. Some of the driveshafts have a splined section that is supposed to be lubed every so many miles, but rarely are. I've found them so badly worn that they were causing Bad Bad Bad Vibrations at certain throttle settings.

One way to give the splines a cursory check is to push sideways on the driveshaft right at the splined section. There should be no give side-to-side, and if there is I'd pull the shaft and check the splines.

You must have had a pretty stout clutch in them to split the tube. I've rebuilt several on these trucks and the tubes were in good shape but the plastic bushings were GONE and the metal below them was badly worn. Changed all the pivots over to sintered bronze and I suspect they would last a long time.

The Falcon was the stock Long 10" semi-centrifugal used on the 260 with 3 speed, Shelby had a Performance American Zoom racing clutch, which after it spit all of the damper springs out of the Lakewood scattershield was replaced with a new Ford Hi-Po 289 assembly and never had another problem after that.

The Falcon was the stock Long 10" semi-centrifugal used on the 260 with 3 speed, Shelby had a Performance American Zoom racing clutch, which after it spit all of the damper springs out of the Lakewood scattershield was replaced with a new Ford Hi-Po 289 assembly and never had another problem after that.

Bill - You are hard on clutches! Hope you aren't as hard on upper plenums. Here's yours and mine out on the town for the evening. Brandon did the blasting honors on yours, and I did mine - as well as removed the lump.

You can read all about the lumpectomy in the EFI For Big Blue thread, along with a discussion of how I plan to powder coat them. Let me know if you agree or not.

Upper_Plenums.thumb.jpg.2a44eef346342241dfd561c4cf5121bb.jpg

Bill - You are hard on clutches! Hope you aren't as hard on upper plenums. Here's yours and mine out on the town for the evening. Brandon did the blasting honors on yours, and I did mine - as well as removed the lump.

You can read all about the lumpectomy in the EFI For Big Blue thread, along with a discussion of how I plan to powder coat them. Let me know if you agree or not.

More in EFI for Big Blue, but got the upper plenums PC'd today. Here's the one for Big Blue. What'cha think?

Big_Blues_Upper_Plenum_PCd.thumb.jpg.1cdca6268c4ded5511b839cd3ce9a10f.jpg

Looks good!

Used my new DVOM today. I didn't detach the monitor because I was giving a load test lesson to the Son and Son In Law. Whitey was the patient. He has a dual battery set up so i had to isolate them. I set the DVOM to min/max of course on the DC voltage field. Anything under 9.6v is a bad battery under load. The first one went down to 8.95v. The second one dropped to 9.36v. Both of them are bad :( . Together they still start the truck. However, I really don't want be stranded.

Used my new DVOM today. I didn't detach the monitor because I was giving a load test lesson to the Son and Son In Law. Whitey was the patient. He has a dual battery set up so i had to isolate them. I set the DVOM to min/max of course on the DC voltage field. Anything under 9.6v is a bad battery under load. The first one went down to 8.95v. The second one dropped to 9.36v. Both of them are bad :( . Together they still start the truck. However, I really don't want be stranded.

Costco has Interstate 65 series batteries for $95. They come with a 42 month free replacement warranty. I don't like Interstate, but the Cistco warranty is top shelf. Sam's Club has Duracell 65 series batteries for $105 , but the only have a 36 month free replacement.

Costco has Interstate 65 series batteries for $95. They come with a 42 month free replacement warranty. I don't like Interstate, but the Cistco warranty is top shelf. Sam's Club has Duracell 65 series batteries for $105 , but the only have a 36 month free replacement.

Brandon - I really like that meter. You keep leaving things here, so why haven't you left it? :nabble_smiley_wink:

On the batteries, I've had good luck with Interstates. Not used a lot, but some.

More in EFI for Big Blue, but got the upper plenums PC'd today. Here's the one for Big Blue. What'cha think?

Big_Blues_Upper_Plenum_PCd.jpg

Lookin' good Gary! I love shiny cleaned up parts. There is a certain amount of pleasure that comes from viewing a freshly renewed part. I think most old truck owners on here would be the same...or we wouldn't be here, would we?...lol.