Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Wow!! What a trip !! How was your trip through Arkansas ? Probably the muggiest of all ?

I glanced through that thread. Replacing the fuel pump on the road and moving along.. that was such a satisfying feeling I'm sure. How many modern vehicles can that be done on ? I will excuse that 4000 mile life simply because of how easy it was to replace.

Ok no complaints on AC. Yes, those vent windows are terrific!

Went and test drove a couple of vehicles in Dallas for the lady I'm buying the truck from. She told me if she could line up a deal in Dallas maybe she could drive the truck down and drive back her SUV. I went and drove a couple of mid 2000s SUVs with the 5.3 LS and 5.4 Triton. Unfortunately, both of them didn't work out as there were issues that the facebook listing didn't go into. Various electrical issues (including knock sensors, etc) that will be too much for the lady to handle.

It was sort of a courtesy help... I probably will just drive up there...

On a side note: I did realize as I "gunned" these vehicles that they didn't quite seem to possess the raw acceleration power that I have seen on the 351W/460s.. The 5.4 Triton was better than the old 5.3 LS...even though torque specs are ~same. I know its apples and oranges.. but with modern transmission etc, I was expecting more....... (I didn't want to tell the Lady that she is going to have a harder time pulling a horse trailer with these trucks... she probably knows that already)

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went and test drove a couple of vehicles in Dallas for the lady I'm buying the truck from. She told me if she could line up a deal in Dallas maybe she could drive the truck down and drive back her SUV. I went and drove a couple of mid 2000s SUVs with the 5.3 LS and 5.4 Triton. Unfortunately, both of them didn't work out as there were issues that the facebook listing didn't go into. Various electrical issues (including knock sensors, etc) that will be too much for the lady to handle.

It was sort of a courtesy help... I probably will just drive up there...

On a side note: I did realize as I "gunned" these vehicles that they didn't quite seem to possess the raw acceleration power that I have seen on the 351W/460s.. The 5.4 Triton was better than the old 5.3 LS...even though torque specs are ~same. I know its apples and oranges.. but with modern transmission etc, I was expecting more....... (I didn't want to tell the Lady that she is going to have a harder time pulling a horse trailer with these trucks... she probably knows that already)

I had a 5.4L in my 2008 lemon truck, and I have 125% of one in my 2015 motorhome (the 6.8L V10). They aren't necessarily bad engines, but they simply aren't truck engines. They get decent mileage and they make impressive power numbers. But none of that power is below 3000 rpm, and you really need to get above about 4000 to really wake them up.

I had a 5.4L in my 2008 lemon truck, and I have 125% of one in my 2015 motorhome (the 6.8L V10). They aren't necessarily bad engines, but they simply aren't truck engines. They get decent mileage and they make impressive power numbers. But none of that power is below 3000 rpm, and you really need to get above about 4000 to really wake them up.

That is a good point. My definition of "gunning" is probably still sub 3000 rpm. I have a mental block in exceeding 3000 rpm on a truck V8. My mental blockers are relaxed for 5000+ rpm on something like a Honda VTEC :nabble_smiley_cool:

Oh... I once said for retro truck swaps, I would prefer the Godzilla as the 'Coyote' (which in my head is a 5.4L with all flaws addressed) wasn't a pure truck engine, the millennial community on Facebook went nuts. I never said 'Coyote' was a bad engine, just that Godzilla would be a better truck swap candidate.

My son has an 02 Excursion with the V10. He towed his 1986 F150, 5.0L 4WD long bed down From WV to Chesapeake VA on a trailer, right near where the F150 was built in the Norfolk assembly plant. On US 50, East from Winchester VA, there is a crest labeled as the Eastern continental divide. He had that Excursion drop down to 2nd in the 4R100 on that slight grade. I towed a loaded, heavy contractor's trailer with Darth, bed also loaded, and he came out of 4th into 3rd on the Chesapeake Bay bridge-tunnel up slopes. 54 mph at 2200 rpm. Darth has a 3.55 rear, dual LT215/85R16 tires, Excusion has 3.73 gears and whatever was standard tire size.

Years ago I was told "horsepower is how hard you hit the wall, torque is how far you take it with you".

My son has an 02 Excursion with the V10. He towed his 1986 F150, 5.0L 4WD long bed down From WV to Chesapeake VA on a trailer, right near where the F150 was built in the Norfolk assembly plant. On US 50, East from Winchester VA, there is a crest labeled as the Eastern continental divide. He had that Excursion drop down to 2nd in the 4R100 on that slight grade. I towed a loaded, heavy contractor's trailer with Darth, bed also loaded, and he came out of 4th into 3rd on the Chesapeake Bay bridge-tunnel up slopes. 54 mph at 2200 rpm. Darth has a 3.55 rear, dual LT215/85R16 tires, Excusion has 3.73 gears and whatever was standard tire size.

Years ago I was told "horsepower is how hard you hit the wall, torque is how far you take it with you".

Another truth is "torque is leaning against something, power is when it starts to move."

Torque alone doesn't move anything, because torque moving is power.

The load doesn't care how fast your engine is spinning, it just cares how much power it's putting out.

That said, I care how fast the engine is turning. I'd much rather listen to a 460 or a turbo diesel grunt than listen to a Triton scream.

And the load does care how much power the engine makes as the speed starts to drop. A flatter power curve won't force you to downshift as soon to avoid losing even more speed. Engines with the torque peak at a lower rpm seem to hold speed better without downshifting.

If you're willing to listen to it, and if the transmission and PCM can keep it at the right speed, that V-10 will do great things. But I'm not, (and my PCM can't), which is why I don't like the Triton engines in a truck.

I wish you safe harbour Shaun! 🙏

This one may pass north, but Gary's daughter in James Island is in for it, it seems.

"From Savannah, Georgia, north through Hilton Head Island and Charleston, South Carolina, the Weather Prediction Center is calling for accumulations of 20 to 25 inches, with higher totals possible in some areas. Moreover, it is possible that these high rainfall totals extend dozens of miles inland."

wpc-southcarolina-total_precip_inch-3269600.png.f7605c369ea2972a299497570e07f3f7.png

Hey guys.

This was not fun:

wpc-southcarolina-total_precip_inch-3269600.png.f7605c369ea2972a299497570e07f3f7.png

Hey guys.

This was not fun:

Bradley, I hope you and yours are all safe! 🙏

Gary's daughter, my sister and Danny are all right around Charleston.

I didn't really consider -where- you are in Georgia.

So it looks like you are right between the powder blue (10.54) and deep violet (14.60) areas?

Another truth is "torque is leaning against something, power is when it starts to move."

Torque alone doesn't move anything, because torque moving is power.

The load doesn't care how fast your engine is spinning, it just cares how much power it's putting out.

That said, I care how fast the engine is turning. I'd much rather listen to a 460 or a turbo diesel grunt than listen to a Triton scream.

And the load does care how much power the engine makes as the speed starts to drop. A flatter power curve won't force you to downshift as soon to avoid losing even more speed. Engines with the torque peak at a lower rpm seem to hold speed better without downshifting.

If you're willing to listen to it, and if the transmission and PCM can keep it at the right speed, that V-10 will do great things. But I'm not, (and my PCM can't), which is why I don't like the Triton engines in a truck.

Torque is a force, power is force over time.

Hence the 5,252 rpm factor for horsepower.

The same holds for electricity. Voltage is potential but watts is work.

Kilowatts means nothing but kilowatt hours is a measure of work done.

That's why 1hp = 746W, but doesn't say anything about how efficient the motor is.

It's just the power consumed.

I went for a drive in a new customers Rivian R1-T last week.

0-60 in 2.4 seconds is mighty impressive for a 6,000+# vehicle. :nabble_smiley_oh:

He wants me to install a sub panel and charger for it.

Says he gets 400 on a charge if in economy mode, but that would be less at speed on a highway for lack of regen and air resistance.