Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

According to that map my sister is 16m (~40') above sea level, but it doesn't seem to matter when the river backs up.🤷‍♂️

🙏 & :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig: for all of them.

Holly is up near your sister working at the hospital right now and may not be able to make it home for a day or two due to the flooding. So prayers for all of them.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The printer I'm looking at right now and I'm probably gonna pull the trigger anyway has a print area of 12.8" x 12.8" x 12.4" with a heated chamber and auto leveling. It can print in PLA, PET-G, ABS, Nylon, ASA, Polycarbonate, PLA wood fiber, carbon fiber, and glass fiber reinforced filaments. So pretty much take your pick of industrial grade materials.

There is another printer that has an extended print area I think between 15-19 inches but is not heated which concerns me for part failure, probably would have to tent it.

Even if I have to make the tool box in multiple pieces and assemble them that's a possibility. Plus with the material choices I can design a fiber reinforced bracket for it as well in lieu of the metal support bracket.

The big investment after this would be a 3d scanner that allowed me to scan an object and instantaneously recreate it in Catia.

Well, the box is bigger than you think:

Underhood_Toolbox_Length.thumb.jpg.27d6f3415e10cf5d7855bac70c674aaa.jpg

Underhood_Toolbox_Height.thumb.jpg.897a3e6fbc9436fcac587ba42957c205.jpg

Underhood_Toolbox_Inside.thumb.jpg.0a9b74b5f47a70447f18d7810232b588.jpg

I well remember when you couldn't get to the emergency room right across the bridge.

Charleston is literally a delta, it's no wonder that flooding is a big issue when offshore storms drive tidal surge and back it up (even without 25"/625mm of rain!)

IDK what the total elevation is at James Island, but I hope they heed evacuation orders if they come.

Mother nature is powerful and unforgiving.

It looks to me like they are ~20' above sea level from what this James Island topo map shows. That surprises me as I don't remember a hill of any kind between their house and the water, and I've driven it many times.

A few months ago they had some torrential rains and Ian got his kayak out and paddled down the streets in the neighborhood. But there was no water close to the house. So hopefully they will have a similar experience this time.

We have been bumped to up to 30" of rain. It's already starting to flood. Left the wedding and a car floored it and ride the curb letting me get a full shower

I had a feeling it was after seeing it next to the wash/coolant reservoir.

I pulled the trigger on the Qidi Max 3. So I will be able to make this box in two parts. I am thinking of ideas how to basically slide them together so they lock in place. But that 14" looks like it includes maybe a 1" tab there for the bolt. I still may pick up that unit that will go up to 19 inches while it's on sale the problem is it will do PET-G at the most and given the hollow nature of the box it could fail without the right environment.

14 x 9 5/8 is about the size of a legal pad, one inch wider.

30"???

I don't know if my sister is getting out of there on Wednesday, for our baby brothers wedding Saturday 🤯

I had a feeling it was after seeing it next to the wash/coolant reservoir.

I pulled the trigger on the Qidi Max 3. So I will be able to make this box in two parts. I am thinking of ideas how to basically slide them together so they lock in place. But that 14" looks like it includes maybe a 1" tab there for the bolt. I still may pick up that unit that will go up to 19 inches while it's on sale the problem is it will do PET-G at the most and given the hollow nature of the box it could fail without the right environment.

30"! Man, that is going to be horrible!

As for dimensions, here's a shot of the top. But while it LOOKS like the tab is just over 14" from the other end it is 14.5". Parallax is the problem.

14 x 9 5/8 is about the size of a legal pad, one inch wider.

30"???

I don't know if my sister is getting out of there on Wednesday, for our baby brothers wedding Saturday 🤯

Yea it's gonna be wet. The problem is after it goes down the water from Columbia etc comes down through here too a few days later.

I'm thinking I can actually print the mounting tab as a 7 inch piece that slides into a groove on the side to save that inch that puts me right at the limit of the printer for the box and I'll probably have to print in some supports that get cut out later. Worse case scenario the box ends up being 1/4" shorter than factory if printed in a single go.

Yea it's gonna be wet. The problem is after it goes down the water from Columbia etc comes down through here too a few days later.

I'm thinking I can actually print the mounting tab as a 7 inch piece that slides into a groove on the side to save that inch that puts me right at the limit of the printer for the box and I'll probably have to print in some supports that get cut out later. Worse case scenario the box ends up being 1/4" shorter than factory if printed in a single go.

I think making the box slightly smaller would work.

What are you going to print in that can handle summer underhood temperatures?

Did you ever consider just gluing/fusing it together?

Like walls down to whatever radius, and a bottom or top that is pretty flat to begin with?

I know next to nothing, but my brother's older son is printing ~20 hours a day.

Michael always seems to fight with nipping or tearing out supports, so he avoids them at all costs.

Holly is up near your sister working at the hospital right now and may not be able to make it home for a day or two due to the flooding. So prayers for all of them.

Which hospital, next time I'm in the ER I'll say hi 😂

We are at 69ft above sea level according to this map but we are surrounded by a tidal creek and wetlands. When Joaquin came through the water rose and stopped 100ft from our house.

Screenshot_20240805_184747_Chrome.thumb.jpg.20fe78a082c7e68334eb1fa40126beb5.jpg