Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Wasn't there also a white grommet module? I was done some reading one night about duraspark II and someone on another forum was looking for one. Apparently the same as the blue grommet but retards the timing 10 degrees on startup?

I took the old distributor apart and man that thing was total junk. The main shaft bushings were egged out, the shaft especially where it rides in the upper bushing was really worn and grooved. The slop in the top of the distributor was the bushings in the advance slot plate were all worn oblong and the upper half of the shaft really worn also. Not really surprised with the main shaft bushings, but for how little the centrifugal advance moves it sure wore itself right out. Vibration caused it? only thing I can think of. It's now a 351W oil pump priming tool. Can't say I recommend the Cardone select distributors after seeing that one OR the reman version which is what the truck had when I bought it, it was also junk.

Took the truck into town and back to get some food and it ran excellent with the new distributor, handled 90 degree heat and 200 degree coolant temps just fine without quitting or leaving me stranded. Fired right back up when I got home so that's good. Seems to be a good buy. Leaving the intake exhaust crossover passage unblocked doesn't seem to bother this thing at all in the heat either. My favorite part about it, is I can't feel that thing idle in gear at all.

I've never encountered one, but that's not to say they don't exist.

The module can't read timing degrees.

Gary showed on his ocilloscope that powering the (I) wire produces an X millisecond delay in opening the ground, and firing the coil.

Maybe the white one is a 2X delay? :nabble_anim_confused:. Sounds about right....

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've never encountered one, but that's not to say they don't exist.

The module can't read timing degrees.

Gary showed on his ocilloscope that powering the (I) wire produces an X millisecond delay in opening the ground, and firing the coil.

Maybe the white one is a 2X delay? :nabble_anim_confused:. Sounds about right....

For the life of me I cannot find an easy way to pull these locking washers off these parts like this actuator. Very much need to replace these actuators, the bladders are all dry rotted.

Any tips?

20240720_222928.jpg.ad834dd40537166191fad0adba92a41a.jpg

For the life of me I cannot find an easy way to pull these locking washers off these parts like this actuator. Very much need to replace these actuators, the bladders are all dry rotted.

Any tips?

Oh those things suck. I've never had much luck removing those and being able to reuse them. Usually grab them with wire cutters or some sort of cutter and twist and pull them off and replace with new. Should be able to find those axle nuts at the hardware store.

Oh those things suck. I've never had much luck removing those and being able to reuse them. Usually grab them with wire cutters or some sort of cutter and twist and pull them off and replace with new. Should be able to find those axle nuts at the hardware store.

It is what it is. I need to blow out this actuator and see if there is a way to test it because looks like they are hard to find outside of a junk yard.

It is what it is. I need to blow out this actuator and see if there is a way to test it because looks like they are hard to find outside of a junk yard.

Finished the A/C install today. Even vacuumed and charged the system. Hard to tell on a day that is unusually cool for late July in OK, but the short drive back from the shop I was working in, was a rather pleasant ride.....

Finished the A/C install today. Even vacuumed and charged the system. Hard to tell on a day that is unusually cool for late July in OK, but the short drive back from the shop I was working in, was a rather pleasant ride.....

Excellent! :nabble_anim_jump:

I'm glad it finally came together for you Paul. 😊

My lowly Custom never came with AC, but I can't imagine living down south without it.

My luck has been pretty crap.

So the replacement for the DB alternator that I ordered from Amazon showed up.... It was another water pump, but this one is a different water pump.:nabble_poo-23_orig::nabble_smiley_hurt::nabble_smiley_angry:

Now that it has happened twice Amazon won't do a third replacement. So I searched the part number and found it from DB Electricak direct for $114 vs the $91.

Cool, done, ordered.

Then I noticed the pulley looks a bit different...

It's the 130amp version not the 220. So I go back and check the site. The one that looks right is actually a 250amp one for 1992-1996 E-series vans. And it's $190 a fully Benjamin more than I paid. So a bit miffed. Sent DB a message telling them what's going on and asking them to cancel.

Between this, dropping and cracking my heater core cover and not being able to find relay/fuse terminals to rebuild that 1997 distribution box I am feeling pretty defeated today.:nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

My luck has been pretty crap.

So the replacement for the DB alternator that I ordered from Amazon showed up.... It was another water pump, but this one is a different water pump.:nabble_poo-23_orig::nabble_smiley_hurt::nabble_smiley_angry:

Now that it has happened twice Amazon won't do a third replacement. So I searched the part number and found it from DB Electricak direct for $114 vs the $91.

Cool, done, ordered.

Then I noticed the pulley looks a bit different...

It's the 130amp version not the 220. So I go back and check the site. The one that looks right is actually a 250amp one for 1992-1996 E-series vans. And it's $190 a fully Benjamin more than I paid. So a bit miffed. Sent DB a message telling them what's going on and asking them to cancel.

Between this, dropping and cracking my heater core cover and not being able to find relay/fuse terminals to rebuild that 1997 distribution box I am feeling pretty defeated today.:nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

What's different about the pulley?

More ribs? Because you're going to need a 10 rib belt to drive that much amperage...

(See the Mitsubishi ambulance alternator)

I'm still not sure what kind of onboard equipment you think is going to draw that much...

Ambulances have the AC & old halogen floodlights burning full tilt for hours at a scene, plus whatever else is going on in the box (vacuum aspirators, all kinds of electronic monitors, the microwave for snacks....)

When you're on Amazon, you're not buying from DB's store, and if you're not buying firsthand from Amazon itself then I can't begin to help you.

DB has excellent customer service in my experience, but you shouldn't be complaining to them about someone else ripping you off.

What's different about the pulley?

More ribs? Because you're going to need a 10 rib belt to drive that much amperage...

(See the Mitsubishi ambulance alternator)

I'm still not sure what kind of onboard equipment you think is going to draw that much...

Ambulances have the AC & old halogen floodlights burning full tilt for hours at a scene, plus whatever else is going on in the box (vacuum aspirators, all kinds of electronic monitors, the microwave for snacks....)

When you're on Amazon, you're not buying from DB's store, and if you're not buying firsthand from Amazon itself then I can't begin to help you.

DB has excellent customer service in my experience, but you shouldn't be complaining to them about someone else ripping you off.

I got the 220 because it was on sale that is all. If I am going to get the 130amp I can grab it from Rock Auto cheaper. But I also already ordered wire, fuses etc for the 220.

Excellent!

I'm glad it finally came together for you Paul. 😊

My lowly Custom never came with AC, but I can't imagine living down south

without it.

This truck didn't leave the factory with A/C, but had a dealer installed system added at the point of first sale. Everything from the evaporator case and expansion valve forward is all new.

Drove it to Tulsa just after posting that last message. Two words: stiff nipples.

One of the ducts going to the far driver side vent came unhooked, and it still froze me out. Evap case drips a little water onto the floormat, but I think I can solve that pretty easy.

I never really could use the A/C before the diesel swap. The radiator was still the non-A/C tiny unit, so the engine tended to run rather warm anywhere but on the highway when the A/C was engaged. Now it has a cummins radiator, so it should be plenty capable of keeping it cool.