Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, I remember that. So the company is selling an ICVR replacement.

I did some searching on Amazon and found a solid state ICVR that says it fits, so we'll see how this goes. It was only $25. Also bought some better green LED's for the instrument cluster since a couple are tweaking out.

Edit: on the way home from work I gave it about 50% throttle from a stop, about crapped my pants. It never had that kind of power or acceleration before that's for certain.

I did some searching on Amazon and found a solid state ICVR that says it fits, so we'll see how this goes. It was only $25. Also bought some better green LED's for the instrument cluster since a couple are tweaking out.

Edit: on the way home from work I gave it about 50% throttle from a stop, about crapped my pants. It never had that kind of power or acceleration before that's for certain.

Maybe you should limit the throttle travel. We don't want any messy drawers. :nabble_smiley_cool:

As for the French truck, the latest is here.

Maybe you should limit the throttle travel. We don't want any messy drawers. :nabble_smiley_cool:

As for the French truck, the latest is here.

That was funny. I think now it can finally keep up with my 390 with a stock intake and exhaust manifolds :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Yes, as explained on the page at Documentation/Electrical/ICVR. But there's a link on that page to Dennis Carpenter where he's selling a plug-in replacement.

Strange thing: I ordered the Dennis Carpenter one and the gauges are still slightly squirrely. If I am running the hvac blower, the fuel and heat gauges creep up. I love the idea of unlimited fuel, but I think there is still something wrong here...

Strange thing: I ordered the Dennis Carpenter one and the gauges are still slightly squirrely. If I am running the hvac blower, the fuel and heat gauges creep up. I love the idea of unlimited fuel, but I think there is still something wrong here...

Have you checked your engine block to firewall ground? my trucks gauges will do all kinds of crazy things with that disconnected or dirty.

That's a shame. My home-made ICVR has the gauges very, very steady and reliable. And it was easy to make.

That's a shame. My home-made ICVR has the gauges very, very steady and reliable. And it was easy to make.

On my Bronco, I swapped out the 3+ year old puny size 56 590 CCA battery with a size 65 850CCA battery. The size 56 came with my 'pristine' parts truck and it has had 9 lives.... keeps going after sitting at an auction for months, but I don't want to test its luck.

Just like Big Blue 2WD, the Bronco has a mild heat soak problem which happens if I try to start it like within 30 secs after a long trip... It will not crank at all... The engine compression fights the starter.. despite the timing retard built into DS-II during crank.... and the starter needs enough CA from the battery to overcome this... Its not due to any wiring problems in my opinion, just a short term marginality. If I let it sit for 2-5 mins then I'm back to normal.....

Anyway after a 25 mile trip today on the Bronco, I turned off and back on.. Heat soak.. Crannnnnnnnnk..... and I see the starter smoking.. well. I let it sit for a few mins and then back to normal thankfully. If I had the size 65, I am sure the starter would have had more juice to fight it...

Just a wild (likely dumb) thought. Since this is a 460, the intake manifold vacuum is tied to distributor full-time.. Can the HVAC vacuum reservoir supply vacuum to the distributor (via manifold) shortly after turning off.. to keep an advance which might be causing the "heat soak" problem ?... something to test... I mean what happens to manifold vacuum right after turn-off ? How long does it take to go to atmospheric pressure.

On my Bronco, I swapped out the 3+ year old puny size 56 590 CCA battery with a size 65 850CCA battery. The size 56 came with my 'pristine' parts truck and it has had 9 lives.... keeps going after sitting at an auction for months, but I don't want to test its luck.

Just like Big Blue 2WD, the Bronco has a mild heat soak problem which happens if I try to start it like within 30 secs after a long trip... It will not crank at all... The engine compression fights the starter.. despite the timing retard built into DS-II during crank.... and the starter needs enough CA from the battery to overcome this... Its not due to any wiring problems in my opinion, just a short term marginality. If I let it sit for 2-5 mins then I'm back to normal.....

Anyway after a 25 mile trip today on the Bronco, I turned off and back on.. Heat soak.. Crannnnnnnnnk..... and I see the starter smoking.. well. I let it sit for a few mins and then back to normal thankfully. If I had the size 65, I am sure the starter would have had more juice to fight it...

Just a wild (likely dumb) thought. Since this is a 460, the intake manifold vacuum is tied to distributor full-time.. Can the HVAC vacuum reservoir supply vacuum to the distributor (via manifold) shortly after turning off.. to keep an advance which might be causing the "heat soak" problem ?... something to test... I mean what happens to manifold vacuum right after turn-off ? How long does it take to go to atmospheric pressure.

I had my old distributor do the same thing. The pickup was binding on the breaker plate collar when it got hot and would hold the pickup advanced until it cooled off. Disconnect your vacuum advance, drive it and see if it starts right back up. Took a long time to find that problem. I replaced the distributor with a NEW cardone distributor and it's been problem free for years now.

I had my old distributor do the same thing. The pickup was binding on the breaker plate collar when it got hot and would hold the pickup advanced until it cooled off. Disconnect your vacuum advance, drive it and see if it starts right back up. Took a long time to find that problem. I replaced the distributor with a NEW cardone distributor and it's been problem free for years now.

Yep... I'll try that. I have a brand new cardone as well... which wasn't problem free because the wiring on it was wimpy new. The ground wire broke loose on a brand new one...

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Double-check-cheap-distributors-tp148154.html