Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Well I have to work 1/2 day today, then 3 full days. But I can at least make some progress on it. Going to also be cleaning 40+ years of dust and dirt from inside the dash area as I go.

In the end, I'm almost gonna hate putting that dash pad back in. It's seen much better days.....

Since it was so blasted hot the last two days I didn't touch the truck, but this morning it wasn't too bad so I hooked my pre heater hose back up to the air cleaner and checked all fluids and double checked all the hose clamps. Took it for a drive to fill both tanks full of fuel and get some food. The torque converter most definitely had air in it or something because it felt totally different today. The torque converter feels great now and pretty much how I wanted it to work. One thing I noticed with the low drag/full roller kit in the transmission is when you're cruising at a steady speed and let off the throttle it coasts a lot farther before slowing down now. I really like that Comp cams 255 DEH, actually like it better than the XE250H that was in the old engine. 449736762_1001189624531098_611360175818833382_n.jpg.1fbffbbb00615b7d8d59c68c94dabd5b.jpg

My pre heater hose setup is a chrome exhaust tip secured to the headers with stainless steel zip ties. It works pretty well.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since it was so blasted hot the last two days I didn't touch the truck, but this morning it wasn't too bad so I hooked my pre heater hose back up to the air cleaner and checked all fluids and double checked all the hose clamps. Took it for a drive to fill both tanks full of fuel and get some food. The torque converter most definitely had air in it or something because it felt totally different today. The torque converter feels great now and pretty much how I wanted it to work. One thing I noticed with the low drag/full roller kit in the transmission is when you're cruising at a steady speed and let off the throttle it coasts a lot farther before slowing down now. I really like that Comp cams 255 DEH, actually like it better than the XE250H that was in the old engine.

My pre heater hose setup is a chrome exhaust tip secured to the headers with stainless steel zip ties. It works pretty well.

That looks really good! :nabble_smiley_good:

I know that people with the 300 who switch to EFI manifolds have problems getting heat into the plenum floor and for their choke.

I guess I'm pedestrian with my cast iron and that there's enough left of my heat stove that it is still connected.

What size tip fit your flex pipe?

This might be good information for someone who finds this post in the future. 💡

That looks really good! :nabble_smiley_good:

I know that people with the 300 who switch to EFI manifolds have problems getting heat into the plenum floor and for their choke.

I guess I'm pedestrian with my cast iron and that there's enough left of my heat stove that it is still connected.

What size tip fit your flex pipe?

This might be good information for someone who finds this post in the future. 💡

I'm pretty sure the tip is a 2 inch chrome pencil tip, I bought it years ago and can't remember but the hose is 2 inch as well. Dorman 96024 for the hose. I left the exhaust crossover unblocked this time since these heads have the ports for it. Can't say anything negative about idling when hot or how it runs hot with the intake plenum being heated. It fired right back up immediately at the gas station today with the coolant temp at about 210 after sitting there heat soaking. I did buy one of those carb cheater setups that guy on Youtube is making for it, I'll probably install it this weekend. I bought one of those for my galaxie a couple months ago and it was a very nice addition.

I'm pretty sure the tip is a 2 inch chrome pencil tip, I bought it years ago and can't remember but the hose is 2 inch as well. Dorman 96024 for the hose. I left the exhaust crossover unblocked this time since these heads have the ports for it. Can't say anything negative about idling when hot or how it runs hot with the intake plenum being heated. It fired right back up immediately at the gas station today with the coolant temp at about 210 after sitting there heat soaking. I did buy one of those carb cheater setups that guy on Youtube is making for it, I'll probably install it this weekend. I bought one of those for my galaxie a couple months ago and it was a very nice addition.

Carb "heater"? :nabble_anim_confused:

I'm not sure I've heard of a "cheater" other than the Stub Stack I run on my Holley.

I've seen big aluminum heat shields that go under the carb and try to pull and radiate engine heat from the base flange while reflecting IR that would otherwise boil the bowls.

Do you have a link?

I'm old and stupid... 😂

I'm not sure I've heard of a "cheater" other than the Stub Stack I run on my Holley.

I've seen big aluminum heat shields that go under the carb and try to pull and radiate engine heat from the base flange while reflecting IR that would otherwise boil the bowls.

Do you have a link?

I'm old and stupid... 😂

Don't have a link handy but there's a website for it thecarbcheater.com and if you go on YouTube and type in the carb cheater there's videos on the setup showing how it works and what it does. It's pretty simple and works great.

Do you have a link?

I'm old and stupid... 😂

carbcheater.com I think.....

Interesting concept, I have to say....

carbcheater.com I think.....

Interesting concept, I have to say....

I visited the site but am still a bit confused. :nabble_anim_crazy:

This is a data acquisition device that compares actual numbers to whatever desired parameters you've entered into it?

It combines a tach, vacuum gauge and AFR in one display?

It's a new paradigm since the last carbed 460's left the motorhome line in '90 or so.

Processors were painfully slow and memory bulky and expensive.

SEFI in pickups was a dream, but we've certainly made progress!

I can understand the place for this.

I hope they do well!

I visited the site but am still a bit confused. :nabble_anim_crazy:

This is a data acquisition device that compares actual numbers to whatever desired parameters you've entered into it?

It combines a tach, vacuum gauge and AFR in one display?

It's a new paradigm since the last carbed 460's left the motorhome line in '90 or so.

Processors were painfully slow and memory bulky and expensive.

SEFI in pickups was a dream, but we've certainly made progress!

I can understand the place for this.

I hope they do well!

Yep, it has all of those features and you can set the AFR to what you want. For example the first one, I bought it because the 390 in my galaxie will go from idling at 13:1 during normal stop and go driving to 10:1 and idling like crap during prolonged idling on a hot day from the massive amount of under hood heat it creates. If I set the AFR when it's running that rich to 13:1 it's way too lean under normal driving. Situations like this is were the carb cheater shines. I can now idle for a long time and the carb cheater will compensate keeping it idling 13:1 no matter how hot it gets under the hood just great and when you turn it off in that situation itll be 10:1 and idling like crap. I also noticed a difference just driving down the road using it and it will compensate for altitude as well. It also has an ignition cut feature so it's a bit of an anti theft device as well. There is also a rev limiter and built in two step function you can set for launch control as well.

Yep, it has all of those features and you can set the AFR to what you want. For example the first one, I bought it because the 390 in my galaxie will go from idling at 13:1 during normal stop and go driving to 10:1 and idling like crap during prolonged idling on a hot day from the massive amount of under hood heat it creates. If I set the AFR when it's running that rich to 13:1 it's way too lean under normal driving. Situations like this is were the carb cheater shines. I can now idle for a long time and the carb cheater will compensate keeping it idling 13:1 no matter how hot it gets under the hood just great and when you turn it off in that situation itll be 10:1 and idling like crap. I also noticed a difference just driving down the road using it and it will compensate for altitude as well. It also has an ignition cut feature so it's a bit of an anti theft device as well. There is also a rev limiter and built in two step function you can set for launch control as well.

Didn't know it was ThunderHead289. This guy knows his stuff.

Yeah, I've been following the progression of this device for a while, from it's earliest days. I want to get one for the 390 truck.

I did get about half the A/C hoses routed and figured out, just got to finalize a couple things before cutting. Once cut, I'm commited to where ever they land.... The comp and dryer aren't actually mounted yet, but tose won't take long. If all goes well, I can finalize the hose lenght and routing, along with clocking/marking the fittings in order to take them to be crimped.