Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

as a rule, it is that the toe in is the setting. in a perfect world the front two wheels would be perfectly square to each other to avoid any bias pulling the vehicle one way or the other based on road changes. however, we have all of these rubber bushings to absorb shock and vibrations that these trucks have a bit of "sponge" built in. this requires that the front wheels be ever so slightly toe in so that road forces and bumps hold them nearly square against the built in cushion. toe out will give the wheel with the most road holding to control direction. possibly giving the operator a real job of holding a strait line, especially on bumpy roads.

LMC still sells that steering dampener I'm wondering if that's worth the hassle.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got about half of the dash loose I have what's left from the radio bezel edge to the passenger door and then I should get it out. But for now I'm waiting out the heat. Wish I had a garage with AC I could pull it into.

After that I have to do the same to the 86. I did pull the dash pad out of the 86 already and some smaller parts I will definitely need before I realized the F-350 dash is in such disrepair.

For the life of me I can't figure why Ford wedged some of these Philips screws in the paces they did. I'm going to probably replace these blind fasteners with hex heads in case it ever needs to come off again.

Been using a small bit ratchet to get these off which helped for sure.

Ford used Phillips because they will cam out before stripping.

You might try a flex (spring, cable) extension and a battery impact set for medium.

Finding a 7mm hex driver is not funday on a Sunday.....

Why?

I've got no idea what was going on in the heads of Ford engineers.

But it was late '70's-early '80's and John DeLorean probably shipped some product through Dearborn! :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

as a rule, it is that the toe in is the setting. in a perfect world the front two wheels would be perfectly square to each other to avoid any bias pulling the vehicle one way or the other based on road changes. however, we have all of these rubber bushings to absorb shock and vibrations that these trucks have a bit of "sponge" built in. this requires that the front wheels be ever so slightly toe in so that road forces and bumps hold them nearly square against the built in cushion. toe out will give the wheel with the most road holding to control direction. possibly giving the operator a real job of holding a strait line, especially on bumpy roads.

Thanks I have it set for an ever so slight toe-in. I do think it has made it easier to track straight without constantly making corrections… but honestly, for some reason my wife just cannot drive it… the new steering box is so much better but still she is expecting it to be as good as her charger :nabble_anim_blbl:

Thanks I have it set for an ever so slight toe-in. I do think it has made it easier to track straight without constantly making corrections… but honestly, for some reason my wife just cannot drive it… the new steering box is so much better but still she is expecting it to be as good as her charger :nabble_anim_blbl:

The Bronco is an anachronism.

It was never meant to last 50 years and a lot of technological progress has been made.

If she doesn't like it, more for us!!! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

The Bronco is an anachronism.

It was never meant to last 50 years and a lot of technological progress has been made.

If she doesn't like it, more for us!!! http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/laughing-25-x-25_orig.gif

Got the engine off the stand, engine and transmission mated together and put back in the truck today. I got the driveshaft back in, shifter, speedo cable, NSS switch, starter and passenger header installed so far, had to take a break it was getting pretty hot out. 449492102_1176091963538189_5921094069542376249_n.jpg.6f02ef3160eed217d8e857eb2759f92d.jpg449396578_467807242665028_545606713671761033_n.jpg.05afe0ec8f1dd8a757b19a69375dbd09.jpg449344258_3810289209285938_911533104294622373_n.jpg.148d216c89a69e2cae66cfc1f0a71e60.jpg

Got the engine off the stand, engine and transmission mated together and put back in the truck today. I got the driveshaft back in, shifter, speedo cable, NSS switch, starter and passenger header installed so far, had to take a break it was getting pretty hot out.

Progress is Gooooood! :nabble_smiley_good:

I hope you're feeling better, and don't over do it on the holiday!

Feeling decent, still a little low on energy although bench pressing that transmission to get the trans mount studs over the crossmember wore me out. My dad has what I had now, he's not feeling that great lol. I'll probably go back out and get the other header on after a while and call it quits.

Hey all, Happy 4th!

Not bullnose-related, but I spent the day out in the shop so far. I've been working on a Cummins NHC 250 engine from a 5-ton military truck. Getting some broken parts fixed up and getting it to turn under its own power for resale.

PXL_20240704_181821349.jpg.83d39dd3348788b5434589352c90bfc9.jpg

While TIG brazing with my new welder (upgraded from Multimatic 215 to a Multimatic 220 AC/DC) I got too sweaty and became a conductor and shocked the crap outta myself. It went through my leather welding jacket, even.

That's enough fireworks for me today!

Hey all, Happy 4th!

Not bullnose-related, but I spent the day out in the shop so far. I've been working on a Cummins NHC 250 engine from a 5-ton military truck. Getting some broken parts fixed up and getting it to turn under its own power for resale.

While TIG brazing with my new welder (upgraded from Multimatic 215 to a Multimatic 220 AC/DC) I got too sweaty and became a conductor and shocked the crap outta myself. It went through my leather welding jacket, even.

That's enough fireworks for me today!

Don't you hate it when it lights you up! :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Don't need a lot of voltage when you have plenty of electrolytes.

I like to tell the story of when my departed friend was leaning against the Coca Cola machine in the pizzaria and I grabbed the neon sign ballast, then held his sweaty arm! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

He didn't know what happened, at first! :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I'm right there with you! ∆∆∆

What kind of mileage does your Dodge get???

I wonder what kind of mileage a 460 would get if optimized for a particular rpm and you stuck an 11 speed automatic behind it?

Jim, sorry I missed this earlier. The Dodge does not get great mileage, around 14 - 15. That's arguably a lot better than the 10 of the 460, but it is on more expensive fuel (usually, but I did see diesel for 3.39 and gas for 3.49 last weekend).