Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Thanks everyone. I got it back together and working. I stole the 86's wiper motor and it runs like a champ.

I think I may disassemble the 85 and see what's got it locked up and if I can transfer the guts between that and the reman.

I definitely have some alignment and work to do the hood is adjusted so it doesn't hit the cowl right now but it's not aligned right. I think the part that meets the cowl is also pretty far below the cowl right now. That's another day.

The passenger side of the cowl behind the antenna is loose. Is this held by the chrome window trim?

If that's the case I need new clips as that corner is not retained right now. I have the screws in along the back of the cowl as best as I can tell all in place.

I don't think there's any kind of clip at the rear, just the screws you reach through the cowl slots (but I have a polka dot cowl for 87)

Usually wiper motors fail when the magnets inside the housing come unglued.

If you clean it well JB Weld often puts it back in order.

Otherwise it is the 'park' tab that goes bad, and the motor doesn't want to budge because it 'thinks' it shouldn't move.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Danny, I believe you are on the right track. yes, you must have the original arm to fit the step style bronze bushings of the two arms. it is however very likely that the two motors are not parked the same. even if the new reman was tested, it does not mean run to a parked position (although it should). plug it in and run it to park it and check again.

you will run into this type of thing going forward as we can no longer get "ford parts" wait until you are dealing with fuel sending units! or the combination fuel system for an f350 with 460 and dual tanks. have beer ready. haha.

I stand corrected! :nabble_smiley_hurt:

The Hot Fuel Handling system is pretty straightforward.

It's the multiple layers of failsafe (inertia switch, oil pressure switch, relays, that usually go bad... or their associated wiring)

Also people don't understand that it is powered through a fusible link and that it will (should) always prime if cranking.

Early models did this through the 'I' terminal of the starter relay, but later versions have a diode in the harness.

I stand corrected! :nabble_smiley_hurt:

The Hot Fuel Handling system is pretty straightforward.

It's the multiple layers of failsafe (inertia switch, oil pressure switch, relays, that usually go bad... or their associated wiring)

Also people don't understand that it is powered through a fusible link and that it will (should) always prime if cranking.

Early models did this through the 'I' terminal of the starter relay, but later versions have a diode in the harness.

exactly. it is a busy system. oil pressure to run is not something every vehicle has so many do not intuitively look for it. and all too often it's the wiring that degrades.

exactly. it is a busy system. oil pressure to run is not something every vehicle has so many do not intuitively look for it. and all too often it's the wiring that degrades.

What are you supposed to do, given the federal safety mandates and the state of technology at the time? 🤷‍♂️

Like I've said before, none of these vehicles were meant to last a decade.

Hell, back at the beginning of the '70's it was amazing if your vehicle made it 8 years or100,000 miles without a major rebuild!

That's where vehicles like Mercedes and Volvo got their reputation for quality and longevity.

They certainly weren't amazing by today's standard.

Think about the tolerances and surfaces that allow a crapbox Kia to run 0W-20 and have the sort of power train warranty they offer. 💡

I remember when Hyundai was as bad as a Yugo (Fiat)

Now id rather drive a Genesis than a Mercedes.

What are you supposed to do, given the federal safety mandates and the state of technology at the time? 🤷‍♂️

Like I've said before, none of these vehicles were meant to last a decade.

Hell, back at the beginning of the '70's it was amazing if your vehicle made it 8 years or100,000 miles without a major rebuild!

That's where vehicles like Mercedes and Volvo got their reputation for quality and longevity.

They certainly weren't amazing by today's standard.

Think about the tolerances and surfaces that allow a crapbox Kia to run 0W-20 and have the sort of power train warranty they offer. 💡

I remember when Hyundai was as bad as a Yugo (Fiat)

Now id rather drive a Genesis than a Mercedes.

true the average standards are far better. many times, I have pulled and engine apart and to look at the surface that left the factory was surprising. aggravating actually when I think of how good my local machine shop does with equipment built before the trucks I work on were. I see so many pros and cons of manufacturing procedures and mandates are usually a fly in the ointment. you might say I'm not a fan of most safety mandates. often due to other unsafe acts being allowed at the same time. it's almost like its liability protection more than people protection. but what do I know? I'm just a caveman!

true the average standards are far better. many times, I have pulled and engine apart and to look at the surface that left the factory was surprising. aggravating actually when I think of how good my local machine shop does with equipment built before the trucks I work on were. I see so many pros and cons of manufacturing procedures and mandates are usually a fly in the ointment. you might say I'm not a fan of most safety mandates. often due to other unsafe acts being allowed at the same time. it's almost like its liability protection more than people protection. but what do I know? I'm just a caveman!

We're ALL cavemen here! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Air bags & other SRS total plenty of cars that get in what would otherwise be a minor punt.

But when you need all new seatbelt retractors, new glass, new seats, door panels, A pillars, steering wheel pad, PLUS all the bag/initiator devices it's not worth fixing.

A LOT of tear away stitches go into a modern interior!

TPMS, in 2002???

People have no idea how to check their tires. Or brakes, or oil, or coolant, or filters, or...

Hell, they don't even have a temp or pressure gauge to watch trends and know when things are going wrong.

Maybe EV's with their vastly reduced maintenance items are going to save the auto industry?

Because 95% of the drivers today only want an appliance that won't break down.

We're ALL cavemen here! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Air bags & other SRS total plenty of cars that get in what would otherwise be a minor punt.

But when you need all new seatbelt retractors, new glass, new seats, door panels, A pillars, steering wheel pad, PLUS all the bag/initiator devices it's not worth fixing.

A LOT of tear away stitches go into a modern interior!

TPMS, in 2002???

People have no idea how to check their tires. Or brakes, or oil, or coolant, or filters, or...

Hell, they don't even have a temp or pressure gauge to watch trends and know when things are going wrong.

Maybe EV's with their vastly reduced maintenance items are going to save the auto industry?

Because 95% of the drivers today only want an appliance that won't break down.

I have had plenty of experience with appliances also. those too are made more disposable with every mandate. this all has very little to do with freezing food, cooking food, doing the dishes or even washing clothes. hell, it doesn't even have anything real to do with saving water, gas or electricity. manufacturing makes money! money exchange generates taxation! taxation creates initiative to become frugal. being frugal is out of fashion. being in fashion with the justification of saving money and the environment inspires sales. and the cycle perpetuates.

I have had plenty of experience with appliances also. those too are made more disposable with every mandate. this all has very little to do with freezing food, cooking food, doing the dishes or even washing clothes. hell, it doesn't even have anything real to do with saving water, gas or electricity. manufacturing makes money! money exchange generates taxation! taxation creates initiative to become frugal. being frugal is out of fashion. being in fashion with the justification of saving money and the environment inspires sales. and the cycle perpetuates.

Stop the world!

I want to get off.

Not kidding one little bit

Stop the world!

I want to get off.

Not kidding one little bit

Painted the engine crossmember and frame in the engine bay today and mounted my new hayden fin and plate external cooler to the radiator and test fitted my new 3 row all aluminum radiator, then started making some new cooler lines what I could today, new radiator fits great and it should be nice when its done. Forgot to take pics, wasn't feeling that great today. The original cooler lines were crap so I bought a 6AN cooler hose kit and will make hard line to connect to the 6AN up by the radiator and spin on filter.

Painted the engine crossmember and frame in the engine bay today and mounted my new hayden fin and plate external cooler to the radiator and test fitted my new 3 row all aluminum radiator, then started making some new cooler lines what I could today, new radiator fits great and it should be nice when its done. Forgot to take pics, wasn't feeling that great today. The original cooler lines were crap so I bought a 6AN cooler hose kit and will make hard line to connect to the 6AN up by the radiator and spin on filter.

Progress is Gooood! :nabble_smiley_good:

Cooler is essential. C6's are bulletproof, but they're really good at turning power into heat.

Sorry to hear you're still under the weather. Hope you shake whatever bug and are back 100% really soon!