Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Bad hood seal

See what I taught Gary about garage door stop....

Documentation/Underhood/Cowl Seal. :nabble_smiley_good:

Today, I replaced both sides' window regulators, window crank handles, and all the speaker wires to doors and rear. I have some new Pioneer speakers on order. While I had the doors apart, I added some Kilmat (like dynamat) to the inside of the door skins for added sound deadening. I also found out where the ants I was seeing a couple days ago were coming from: They had a nest under my carpet. They now live in the shop vac.

I also got under there and checked for the number on the spring:

PXL_20240619_005451158.thumb.jpg.005788377891aa8ce48b1bda31f0720d.jpg

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today, I replaced both sides' window regulators, window crank handles, and all the speaker wires to doors and rear. I have some new Pioneer speakers on order. While I had the doors apart, I added some Kilmat (like dynamat) to the inside of the door skins for added sound deadening. I also found out where the ants I was seeing a couple days ago were coming from: They had a nest under my carpet. They now live in the shop vac.

I also got under there and checked for the number on the spring:

What is your door code? (or the code on the donor)

What is your door code? (or the code on the donor)

No clue. I'm not even sure it was there. I was in such a hurry to get it out of the way of my shop doors that I didn't take my normal documentation pics.

Wow :nabble_smiley_oh:

How did rainwater get in it ? Air cleaner ? PCV or breather ?

In 2017 I re did the seam sealer in the wiper cowl, nice hot day for it. It started getting cloudy by the time I was done with it so I put a big tarp over the cab, ran it between the hood and cowl seal, closed the hood thinking my brand new cowl seal would seal the tarp off and thought nothing of it. Those clouds turned into one of the worst flood-out rainstorms I've ever seen here and it funneled a ton of water right on top of the air cleaner lid. The part that pissed me off the most is the next morning when I took the tarp off the air cleaner lid was bone dry. I drained about 3 gallons of rain water out of that engine after I found out it didn't turn over. On the plus side I peeked inside of the transmission and it looks really good inside for a 253,000 mile transmission.

In 2017 I re did the seam sealer in the wiper cowl, nice hot day for it. It started getting cloudy by the time I was done with it so I put a big tarp over the cab, ran it between the hood and cowl seal, closed the hood thinking my brand new cowl seal would seal the tarp off and thought nothing of it. Those clouds turned into one of the worst flood-out rainstorms I've ever seen here and it funneled a ton of water right on top of the air cleaner lid. The part that pissed me off the most is the next morning when I took the tarp off the air cleaner lid was bone dry. I drained about 3 gallons of rain water out of that engine after I found out it didn't turn over. On the plus side I peeked inside of the transmission and it looks really good inside for a 253,000 mile transmission.

I got the new speakers put in, and all new wiring run for them. Sounds so much better than the stock ones I had in there. I had previously planned to use some Pioneer speakers, but I got a better deal on Kicker for the front and Sony for the rear at the last minute and got those instead.

We went for the same test drive at the same speed to test the new sound deadening, and without the door panels installed, it was at 75dB at 75mph. Even accelerating with the engine at 4000rpm, it still never reached 80dB. I'm very happy with this. It was in the 90's when I started this noise reduction effort.

I got the new speakers put in, and all new wiring run for them. Sounds so much better than the stock ones I had in there. I had previously planned to use some Pioneer speakers, but I got a better deal on Kicker for the front and Sony for the rear at the last minute and got those instead.

We went for the same test drive at the same speed to test the new sound deadening, and without the door panels installed, it was at 75dB at 75mph. Even accelerating with the engine at 4000rpm, it still never reached 80dB. I'm very happy with this. It was in the 90's when I started this noise reduction effort.

That's awesome! :nabble_anim_jump:

Always nice to have a little more peace & quiet, so a lot must be like magic.

Are you using an app, or a dedicated sound meter?

I'm reading that Gary just got his sub installed and tuned so it seems like you are not alone in the stereo upgrade this summer.

That's awesome! :nabble_anim_jump:

Always nice to have a little more peace & quiet, so a lot must be like magic.

Are you using an app, or a dedicated sound meter?

I'm reading that Gary just got his sub installed and tuned so it seems like you are not alone in the stereo upgrade this summer.

Wow! Every three dB in reduction cuts the noise in half. You cut it dramatically.

And yes, I have my Kicker sub installed and tuned. Still want to use a sound CD that I have to test the levels across the frequencies. However, I'm not sure that is necessary as there is still a lot of noise in Big Blue and it isn't white noise. So I'm wondering about looking for an app that takes a snap shot of sound and displays it in a graph. My iPhone 14 Pro Max is said to have a very good mike so I might be able to see what the noise looks like and then compensate.

Jim, they don't have a case spreader for the 10.25" Sterling, When I did my friend's axle, I just ended up driving the shims in, unfortunately I don't remember if I was ever able to get the shim driver. I do have the tool kit for the axle including 3 different seal installation tools.

If the kit didn't weigh a ton, I would send it up to you.

I'm still messing with my axle.

If I put the collar between the bearings -as shown- https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/axles--differentials.html the pinion nut bottoms before the yoke even gets tight and the collar has MILES of space between the bearings.

(Ford collar & nut, Koyo bearings direct drop ship from Dana/Spicer....)

Put it in front of the slinger and I can't begin to approach 160 lbft before the pinion just binds up.

I tried driving it like that and within 2 miles the pinion was eating the carrier on overrun.

I'm trying to do surgery in a windswept driveway full of grit and there were tornado warnings the other day when it deluged and spat hail..

It takes me over an hour every day just to get things clean.

I'm still messing with my axle.

If I put the collar between the bearings -as shown- https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/axles--differentials.html the pinion nut bottoms before the yoke even gets tight and the collar has MILES of space between the bearings.

(Ford collar & nut, Koyo bearings direct drop ship from Dana/Spicer....)

Put it in front of the slinger and I can't begin to approach 160 lbft before the pinion just binds up.

I tried driving it like that and within 2 miles the pinion was eating the carrier on overrun.

I'm trying to do surgery in a windswept driveway full of grit and there were tornado warnings the other day when it deluged and spat hail..

It takes me over an hour every day just to get things clean.

Man, that sounds like a serious problem, Jim. I'm not differential expert, but I sure hope you get that sorted soon! :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Man, that sounds like a serious problem, Jim. I'm not differential expert, but I sure hope you get that sorted soon! :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong.

I didn't buy any cheap & dirty parts (but I suppose that would have worked out better than this! :nabble_smiley_hurt:)