Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Very true. I'm sure that's the basis of that term. When I first heard that term, I thought it referred to anything 80s and older. (I guess that's relative to my age).

I had gotten the idea it had to do with the body overlap in 1997. F150 and F250 were in the new body, F250HD and F350 were still Old Body Style. The other item was the PowerStroke wouldn't fit under that sloped nose.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had gotten the idea it had to do with the body overlap in 1997. F150 and F250 were in the new body, F250HD and F350 were still Old Body Style. The other item was the PowerStroke wouldn't fit under that sloped nose.

I refuse to use the term OBS or Old Body Style. It is so vague.

I refuse to use the term OBS or Old Body Style. It is so vague.

the 96/97 overlap years does make good sense. add in the transitional engines and it make sense too. but I seem to hear it more in the modified truck circles. seemingly by younger guys wanting to have "vintage".

the 96/97 overlap years does make good sense. add in the transitional engines and it make sense too. but I seem to hear it more in the modified truck circles. seemingly by younger guys wanting to have "vintage".

Old But Sexy?

:nabble_smiley_evil:

true about desiccant failure. i have had the issue but only on a residential heat pump. fought it for hours trying to flush all the "beads" out of the liquid line set after replacing the brand new, factory installed, liquid line drier. that said the new ones don't give me a lot more confidence, but I do install new only. less to explain when I cover all bases.

Installed new drier, evacuated the system and recharged with PAG46 oil and R134a. Vent temps slightly below 40F. From here on, its hopefully just a maintenance recharge and go (as needed).

The wiring had to be modified slightly. The York compressor I guess needs only 1 wire and grounds through the body. The FS10 needed a harness which had clutch voltage and ground. Had to run a ground wire to the fender.

I guess it was finally good enough for Mrs. to take it on a drive. She said compared to Big Blue 2WD, it doesn't quite have the get up and go and the steering was sloppy :nabble_smiley_cry:. If only the transmission would drop down to 1 at low speeds like Big Blue's does. Maybe I should have just bought a manual transmission so none of this non-sense matters! Instant power always! Man I miss "Big Red" 460 T-19.

Installed new drier, evacuated the system and recharged with PAG46 oil and R134a. Vent temps slightly below 40F. From here on, its hopefully just a maintenance recharge and go (as needed).

The wiring had to be modified slightly. The York compressor I guess needs only 1 wire and grounds through the body. The FS10 needed a harness which had clutch voltage and ground. Had to run a ground wire to the fender.

I guess it was finally good enough for Mrs. to take it on a drive. She said compared to Big Blue 2WD, it doesn't quite have the get up and go and the steering was sloppy :nabble_smiley_cry:. If only the transmission would drop down to 1 at low speeds like Big Blue's does. Maybe I should have just bought a manual transmission so none of this non-sense matters! Instant power always! Man I miss "Big Red" 460 T-19.

So, it is done? Or what else is there to do?

So, it is done? Or what else is there to do?

I wish it was ready enough. Good enough for short distance/city driving. Its at a point where I could possibly drive it around 500 miles/year.

There is still the 9" rearend. Abused possibly from all that mudding.

1) Big ol clunk going into reverse. I can tell there is excessive backlash (pinion-ring possibly?)

2) Original tapered bearing seal is leaking slightly.

3) I can tell one of the axles (passenger rear) is slightly bent. I could see a wobble when I put the rear on jackstand and had it idling in gear.

I need to pull the axles and 3rd member, check ring pinion pattern. Adjust backlash.

I have ordered new axles, set20 bearing/seal, and 3rd member shim kit.. I have both a crush sleeve and solid spacers. Haven't decided which I'm going with.

I wish it was ready enough. Good enough for short distance/city driving. Its at a point where I could possibly drive it around 500 miles/year.

There is still the 9" rearend. Abused possibly from all that mudding.

1) Big ol clunk going into reverse. I can tell there is excessive backlash (pinion-ring possibly?)

2) Original tapered bearing seal is leaking slightly.

3) I can tell one of the axles (passenger rear) is slightly bent. I could see a wobble when I put the rear on jackstand and had it idling in gear.

I need to pull the axles and 3rd member, check ring pinion pattern. Adjust backlash.

I have ordered new axles, set20 bearing/seal, and 3rd member shim kit.. I have both a crush sleeve and solid spacers. Haven't decided which I'm going with.

That sounds like something I'd want to do before taking it very far. :nabble_smiley_good:

Absolutely!

today I went and sourced another parts truck. 86,4wd sb. well picked over but the running gear is all there. this is a prime example of why we need to keep our ducts clear, especially around the resistor. yes, it burned. heater box, fender liners, dash, ducts, seat, windshield, all trash. plastics missing. hood warped. she is a real peach. my challenge is to save the engine. but... three miles from home my truck slipped a gear on a shift. got my attention to say the least. baby'd it to a bp and pulled over. trail of fluid from bell housing. no bueno! called home to get a ride. got home grabbed fluid, funnel and suv. added two qts and dropped trailer and moved the truck. hooked suv and towed trailer home. wife drove me back and I drove the f250 home without a hitch. no visible leak or trail into the drive. now it's time to decide. service the old c6 or rebuild. I need a trailer tow truck. i have no clue as to the service this c6 has or has not had. and it's an 81. three aods in front of it so I guess I'm working weekends now .haha but at least I did avoid a tow this time.