Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nothing was missing. The old accumulator (or I should say receiver/drier) was still installed. I just need to pull it out now, and install the new one before recharging the system.

I will use PAG-46 oil that already has UV dye in it along with R134a cans from walmart.

I almost considered going to a shop when I did my wife's 2018 vehicle that used R1234yf. Those 8oz cans are $50 a pop. I had to be really sure there were absolutely no leaks :nabble_smiley_scared:

You're breaking the joints to install a new one ('new' doesn't mean good) and you have a seal on each side.

I stand by my statement that "the system is incomplete"

just dont introduce air/moisture

I just don't know how old the old drier is.. It still had all the R-12 fittings so probably ancient. Probably has a bunch of mineral oil in it so would be good to get rid of all that. I've heard the dessicant inside can possibly be released into the system if the bag ruptures and possibly clog things up.

The new drier is only $20... easy to access.. "while I am at it" situation :nabble_smiley_blush:

You're breaking the joints to install a new one ('new' doesn't mean good) and you have a seal on each side.

I stand by my statement that "the system is incomplete"

Yes you are correct. I will vacuum test it again once its put back together :nabble_smiley_good:

The first test was to see if a drier is all that was needed. I was pretty sure the evaporator was gone as well but maybe not.

I like to ensure that before a new drier is installed, everything else is good.

I just don't know how old the old drier is.. It still had all the R-12 fittings so probably ancient. Probably has a bunch of mineral oil in it so would be good to get rid of all that. I've heard the dessicant inside can possibly be released into the system if the bag ruptures and possibly clog things up.

The new drier is only $20... easy to access.. "while I am at it" situation :nabble_smiley_blush:

true about desiccant failure. i have had the issue but only on a residential heat pump. fought it for hours trying to flush all the "beads" out of the liquid line set after replacing the brand new, factory installed, liquid line drier. that said the new ones don't give me a lot more confidence, but I do install new only. less to explain when I cover all bases.

true about desiccant failure. i have had the issue but only on a residential heat pump. fought it for hours trying to flush all the "beads" out of the liquid line set after replacing the brand new, factory installed, liquid line drier. that said the new ones don't give me a lot more confidence, but I do install new only. less to explain when I cover all bases.

Finally installed a beige center console from an OBS truck which I think is the best console from ford for this time period. Just needed some shimming to fit.

Btw, If a 90s ford truck is called Old body style, what should a 70s truck be called ? Ancient body style ? http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/laughing-25-x-25_orig.gif

71394C2C-43AF-4974-B79D-631A480A95BC.jpeg.3d68d260f3fc5d08eaf38bffb001e13e.jpeg

Finally installed a beige center console from an OBS truck which I think is the best console from ford for this time period. Just needed some shimming to fit.

Btw, If a 90s ford truck is called Old body style, what should a 70s truck be called ? Ancient body style ? :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Dentside because of the crease.

Yes.. no issues with dentside or bumpside or bullnose or aeronose or bricknose… just don’t think “OBS” makes sense.

im thinking the person who started the "obs" thing was not born before 1995. is it old to you or is it old to me? two different things.

im thinking the person who started the "obs" thing was not born before 1995. is it old to you or is it old to me? two different things.

Very true. I'm sure that's the basis of that term. When I first heard that term, I thought it referred to anything 80s and older. (I guess that's relative to my age).