Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Was just looking at the head w/the stripped bolt hole and discovered that it has casting # F3TE 6090-JA. That would suggest these are 1993 heads, but it is a 1990 truck. Did they "pre-date" parts? In other words, did they put a 1993 casting number or engineering number on a 1990 part? :nabble_anim_confused:

No.

You should have E7 heads on a 1990 truck.

Someone has been there before.....

But you already knew that! :nabble_smiley_angry:

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, if not, I have a pair, that at least one I think has good exhaust port bolt holes.

Ok, thanks. :nabble_smiley_good: Unfortunately it is the known F3 that has the stripped exhaust bolt hole.

I'll do some cleaning tomorrow and see what the passenger's side head says. Looks like the valve cover has been leaking a bit so it is greasy.

Hopefully, they both match.

Had quite a bit of good luck today. First, the heads match. Both are F3TE's. :nabble_smiley_good:

But, initially I didn't have quite as good of luck with the EGR tube. Just a little bit of torque caused this. Looks like it twists off because that's a brazed joint.

With_A_Bit_Of_Persuasion.thumb.jpg.26ee4a02fa38137f2df643224b9f1e64.jpg

But, that turned out fine as I checked and the ID of the part that sticks out is about right for a 3/8" pipe tap. So I cut that off flush with the part that has a serious affinity for the manifold, threaded it, and ran a plug in. You can see there's about 1/32" left for the plug to go in, but I'll wait until I'm ready to plug it for the final time, put teflon tape and paste on it, and run it in the last little bit.

Pipe_Plugged.thumb.jpg.d04177677adb297560b9f2e4ee716922.jpg

Last, remember the discussion about oil pans for Big Blue? And what Huck's pan might be? Well, I pulled the dip stick tube out. Looks like the newer o-ringed one to me. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Hucks_Dip_Stick.thumb.jpg.2b25a196290e63bdc0bcf19a9ea9ad49.jpg

And, here's the pan. No nut. The only thing that holds the dip stick tube in is the attachment to the exhaust manifold - on the bolt hole that's stripped out on the head.

Hucks_Dip_Stick_Hole_In_Pan.thumb.jpg.71e750bee2992c0a7b9d5cb4d56c4f19.jpg

Had quite a bit of good luck today. First, the heads match. Both are F3TE's. :nabble_smiley_good:

But, initially I didn't have quite as good of luck with the EGR tube. Just a little bit of torque caused this. Looks like it twists off because that's a brazed joint.

But, that turned out fine as I checked and the ID of the part that sticks out is about right for a 3/8" pipe tap. So I cut that off flush with the part that has a serious affinity for the manifold, threaded it, and ran a plug in. You can see there's about 1/32" left for the plug to go in, but I'll wait until I'm ready to plug it for the final time, put teflon tape and paste on it, and run it in the last little bit.

Last, remember the discussion about oil pans for Big Blue? And what Huck's pan might be? Well, I pulled the dip stick tube out. Looks like the newer o-ringed one to me. :nabble_smiley_happy:

And, here's the pan. No nut. The only thing that holds the dip stick tube in is the attachment to the exhaust manifold - on the bolt hole that's stripped out on the head.

Gary, do not use Teflon tape, exhaust manifolds get red hot under load conditions, the tape will melt.