Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bet you took every radio, tv and appliance apart to see how they worked while others were sleeping

Busy day today, so I spent a couple hours this morning continuing the prep for painting. I am starting to grow a deep dislike of sanding 😀 but a respect for what goes into painting a truck.

Fenders are scuffed and ready for cleaning and the old paint off of the hood top. Time to call it quits for other life.

20240414_094521.jpg.687a05e414f28cc1b83a80a504c311d4.jpg

20240414_094448.thumb.jpg.0ee1b32c7c35b8d7eace2ab56b499ce2.jpg

I bet you took every radio, tv and appliance apart to see how they worked while others were sleeping

When I disassembled the lawnmower my mom beat my butt so hard the welts didn't go away for a week. 😂

When I disassembled the lawnmower my mom beat my butt so hard the welts didn't go away for a week. 😂

My dad wasn't very pleased when I took his lawnmower he had used for 33 years straight apart. I cleaned it all up and put it back together, been using it every week ever since. He said man, it'll never mow grass again. That was 15 years ago :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

My dad wasn't very pleased when I took his lawnmower he had used for 33 years straight apart. I cleaned it all up and put it back together, been using it every week ever since. He said man, it'll never mow grass again. That was 15 years ago :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

When I was about 10 I got a go-kart with a 1 hp engine. It was a lot of fun, but even as a 10 year old I could out run it! A couple years later I was looking at the 2 1/2 hp engine on my dad's lawn mower. It was horizontal shaft and looked to have the same size crankshaft as my 1 hp, so I took the 2 1/2 off the lawn mower and put it on my go-kart. That was a lot better!

My dad came home from work and was pretty cool with it, but did say I still needed to mow the lawn. So every week I moved the engine back to the mower to do the lawn, and then back to my go-kart. I think that went on for about 2 years until my dad somehow got another engine for the mower!

that's old school! I took apart the vacuum cleaner to make a plug-in welder. that went over real well

When I was about 10 I got a go-kart with a 1 hp engine. It was a lot of fun, but even as a 10 year old I could out run it! A couple years later I was looking at the 2 1/2 hp engine on my dad's lawn mower. It was horizontal shaft and looked to have the same size crankshaft as my 1 hp, so I took the 2 1/2 off the lawn mower and put it on my go-kart. That was a lot better!

My dad came home from work and was pretty cool with it, but did say I still needed to mow the lawn. So every week I moved the engine back to the mower to do the lawn, and then back to my go-kart. I think that went on for about 2 years until my dad somehow got another engine for the mower!

I'm thinking your dad is a saint.

My first real job was at a lawn and garden shop in Norfolk VA. Dad knew the manager and got him to hire me. First stop was at Sears, where he co-signed on an Easy-Pay account so I could buy my own tools. I still have most of those we bought. I was sharpening blades, doing tune ups etc.

I went to college that fall at what had just been renamed Old Dominion College, now Old Dominion University. I was an engneering major, but failed English Composition and Literature. During Easter break (one week) I went back to the shop for a week, walked in, was told that's your bench, first job, assemble a big old upright Briggs and Stratton single. It had been bored, crank ground, new valves, seats refaced. Everything was laid out ready for me, including a B&S service manual for torque specs and sequence.

I started back that summer, but since I was on academic suspension and Vietnam was in full swing, a 1A draft status was an almost guaranteed SE Asian vacation. I ended up enlisting in USMCR as they actually guaranteed I would be back in time for the second semester.

that's old school! I took apart the vacuum cleaner to make a plug-in welder. that went over real well

Fortunate, or unfortunately microwaves weren't a common appliance when I was growing up, or I would have had a DEW line radar base in my backyard. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig: