Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Just stacked and easily swappable.

Thats a real good idea especially if you are out in the trail or somewhere.

My ignition module has less than 2000 miles on it... but I always have a spare behind the seat. Tried my spare since it takes less than a minute to swap wires as Jim said.. same behavior. Just rough idling, not firing on all cylinders.

I will check coil, pickup resistance, compression, new plugs (when I can get to it... always have these fun problems at the busiest times)

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just stacked and easily swappable.

That's interesting, never thought of stacking the modules like that. I just keep my spare in the tool box, never needed it or my spare ignition coil. On a funny note, Tuesday when I drove the truck to work, I was almost there and going through a roundabout. I was halfway through the roundabout when some kid going through it going the other way probably late teens early 20's pulls half his body out the window of his car and gives me the thumbs up and yells YEAH MANN. I was laughing so hard I could barely keep the thing in the road. I guess somebody likes this pile.

Gary, there's never a dull moment with you!

My father would have said "If that's a compliment then I thank you." :nabble_smiley_evil:

Where is the best place to get one of this style TV cable? 4.9 6 cyl, AOD 1983 F100.

Thanks, Bill

cable_fix.jpg.2708edfa645db952909d8ce7f22b18af.jpg

Where is the best place to get one of this style TV cable? 4.9 6 cyl, AOD 1983 F100.

Thanks, Bill

this one is getting very hard to find. harder than the carb actually. I have considered using one from an efi 5.0 and making the bracket as metal fab is far easier for me.

this one is getting very hard to find. harder than the carb actually. I have considered using one from an efi 5.0 and making the bracket as metal fab is far easier for me.

Is the Lokar set-up so very different?

(I've never owned an AOD)

Is the Lokar set-up so very different?

(I've never owned an AOD)

the Lokar kit is a bit different. it is well put together but if I'm honest, it's a bit like it was made up from parts found at the local hardware store. not a jab but more of respect for the old ways. understanding that it is not black magic and how much of the art of mechanizing seems to be disappearing in this world of "mindcraft". I do love a good bell crank! haha.

I just used the Lokar kit on an aod conversion into a 67 cougar with a 289. it is almost completed. too many delays and interruptions. etc. but the only real complaint I have is that for a "kit" it should not be sold independent of the carb bracket I hate getting stalled for the stupid stuff. parts not ordered, not knowing which parts to order and so on. so, I have one end to push off of but not the other to pull from. If the owner did not want chrome, I would have made one and the paint would have been dry and installed the next day, but that would also mean a non-standard part. use their system or don't!

the Lokar kit is a bit different. it is well put together but if I'm honest, it's a bit like it was made up from parts found at the local hardware store. not a jab but more of respect for the old ways. understanding that it is not black magic and how much of the art of mechanizing seems to be disappearing in this world of "mindcraft". I do love a good bell crank! haha.

I just used the Lokar kit on an aod conversion into a 67 cougar with a 289. it is almost completed. too many delays and interruptions. etc. but the only real complaint I have is that for a "kit" it should not be sold independent of the carb bracket I hate getting stalled for the stupid stuff. parts not ordered, not knowing which parts to order and so on. so, I have one end to push off of but not the other to pull from. If the owner did not want chrome, I would have made one and the paint would have been dry and installed the next day, but that would also mean a non-standard part. use their system or don't!

As you can see, it's been "shade tree" by myself, works very well, shifts properly.

Pump has the dreaded whine, don't know if that has caused low pressure, or what, have read that improperly setup on TV cable will destroy an AOD, had the cable come off a while back, now has only 1st,2nd, and rev.....looking for a competent shop to do a rebuild.

I've looked, and all that seems available are the fits-all cable assy. Waiting on an 80-84 to show up @ pull-a-part with one.

If it was a C4, or C6, I would be in my shop rebuilding it myself, I've watched youtube teardown of this trans, I want no part of doing it myself.

Bill

As you can see, it's been "shade tree" by myself, works very well, shifts properly.

Pump has the dreaded whine, don't know if that has caused low pressure, or what, have read that improperly setup on TV cable will destroy an AOD, had the cable come off a while back, now has only 1st,2nd, and rev.....looking for a competent shop to do a rebuild.

I've looked, and all that seems available are the fits-all cable assy. Waiting on an 80-84 to show up @ pull-a-part with one.

If it was a C4, or C6, I would be in my shop rebuilding it myself, I've watched youtube teardown of this trans, I want no part of doing it myself.

Bill

if it gets disconnected at the carb end then it will not increase fluid pressure to anything inside the trans as you add throttle therefore you add power against slipping frictions. if it comes loose at the trans end, it has an internal spring which pushes on the tv inside raising pressure to a minimum. not that it's safe to drive this way yet its far less destructive and if driven very carefully "might" not hurt. the fact that you don't say third or fourth/od tells me that you burned the direct clutch. third feels a lot of pressure as it directly holds the geartrain to the crankshaft hydro-mechanically. zero use of the torque converter other than the shell at this point. and then fourth is built onto that by holding the od band.