Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Jim, I had my right knee replaced in 2001, I probably should have the left one done, but Mary couldn't handle having to help me around. I told someone I think my warranty expired.

I'm wondering if I'm like the reverends one hoss shay.

And everything's perfect until the last day?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm wondering if I'm like the reverends one hoss shay.

And everything's perfect until the last day?

Man, I did the 8.8 in my grand marquis on the floor under the car. I thought that royally sucked, can't imagine the 10.25" with the extra weight of the ring and pinion doing it under the truck laying on your stomach and side. The 9" I did in my galaxie afterwards was a piece of cake in comparison. All of the hard work was done on the bench or in the press. It's a shame all rear axles aren't a third member dropout. Can't make everything easy I suppose.

Man, I did the 8.8 in my grand marquis on the floor under the car. I thought that royally sucked, can't imagine the 10.25" with the extra weight of the ring and pinion doing it under the truck laying on your stomach and side. The 9" I did in my galaxie afterwards was a piece of cake in comparison. All of the hard work was done on the bench or in the press. It's a shame all rear axles aren't a third member dropout. Can't make everything easy I suppose.

Yeah, I hear you.... !

I went from a 4# drilling hammer to a 12# rock maul with an 18" handle.

IMG_20240410_091648_MP.jpg.ba7f47c321d6d642db057f31dc7c2573.jpg

My left leg is so tender I can't push off the ground with it.

I used a come along in the receiver to put tension on what's left of the carrier while I beat on the pinion nut end and started to drive it out of the case.

It didn't wanna budge with a 3' wrecking bar.

That unit is pressed in tight, or a case spreader is used and I don't have time or $ for that.

I need to get back to work before I end up on the street.

.... But then I heard of a simple, cheap way to make a housing spreader. A couple of plates cut from some 3/8" scrap steel with a couple tubes welded to the ends. Bolt the plates to the housing and put some threaded rod through the tubes. Turn the nuts on the inside to spread it apart and the case just drops in!

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n122461/DSC_3725.jpg

Here's what I did for a housing spreader for my Dana 44. It took a little time, but very little money. Might be something to consider.

Oh, and a way to get the diff out of the housing without a spreader. Put a box end wrench on one of the ring gear bolts and turn the pinion. When the ring gear turns so the wrench is against the face of the housing the wrench doesn't have anywhere to go so it pushes the diff out. You need a working ring and pinion to do it this way, but it's another good trick I was told.

.... But then I heard of a simple, cheap way to make a housing spreader. A couple of plates cut from some 3/8" scrap steel with a couple tubes welded to the ends. Bolt the plates to the housing and put some threaded rod through the tubes. Turn the nuts on the inside to spread it apart and the case just drops in!

Here's what I did for a housing spreader for my Dana 44. It took a little time, but very little money. Might be something to consider.

Oh, and a way to get the diff out of the housing without a spreader. Put a box end wrench on one of the ring gear bolts and turn the pinion. When the ring gear turns so the wrench is against the face of the housing the wrench doesn't have anywhere to go so it pushes the diff out. You need a working ring and pinion to do it this way, but it's another good trick I was told.

I'll consider it Bob

Thank you. 🙂

But there are the considerations of time, lack of mobility, resources in a remote location, etc...

As it stands, I doubt I'll be making it to a pig roast in an alpine meadow, in Vermont, if I can't walk and can barely stand on my left leg.

Ford doesn't call for nor even have a case spreader for the 10.25" housing. The original "shims" are thick steel rings in varying thicknesses, the aftermarket kits come with stacks on thin shims to make up to the needed thickness.

Ford doesn't call for nor even have a case spreader for the 10.25" housing. The original "shims" are thick steel rings in varying thicknesses, the aftermarket kits come with stacks on thin shims to make up to the needed thickness.

Yeah.... well it was IN THERE!

I have the original distance rings (abt 1/4")

and a full set of aftermarket (Dana) shims.

I need to figure out how to get it back in.

I have about 3 productive hours a day, it seems... 😜

Yeah.... well it was IN THERE!

I have the original distance rings (abt 1/4")

and a full set of aftermarket (Dana) shims.

I need to figure out how to get it back in.

I have about 3 productive hours a day, it seems... 😜

Sounds about right. Time seems to be moving faster...

Sounds about right. Time seems to be moving faster...

The swelling is going down a bit, and that's relieving the pressure inside my knee.

I wouldn't say it's comfortable today, but the increased mobility is welcome! 🙂

The swelling is going down a bit, and that's relieving the pressure inside my knee.

I wouldn't say it's comfortable today, but the increased mobility is welcome! 🙂

That's good! I hope you get better, Jim! Progress on the diff so far?