Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

My little sister used to work in the Detroit morgue.

I've never seen more rust buckets on the roads (if you can call them that) than in Michigan. 🤯

I'm sure things are much prettier farther up in the mitten. 😊

I lived in Pontiac Michigan (essentially a northern suburb of Detroit by now) for a couple years in the '80s. After having grown up in the Twin Cities in Minnesota, Detroit winters were quite warm, but not at all pleasant. Humidity in the winter was much lower in Minnesota, so the cold didn't burrow through your clothes and you like the damp cold in Detroit.

However, for snow melt it was another thing all together. The warmer temps and the higher humidity both gave the air more thermal mass to do a better job of melting snow. The Detroit area counted on the mild temps and lots of salt to clear the roads, while the Twin Cities had to use plows. That, plus probably not minding if they made people buy more new cars, made Detroit so much worse than Minnesota for rusting out cars (and Minnesota is terrible!).

And yes, during the 2 years I lived in Pontiac, working for General Motors, I drove an '85 F-250HD!

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I lived in Pontiac Michigan (essentially a northern suburb of Detroit by now) for a couple years in the '80s. After having grown up in the Twin Cities in Minnesota, Detroit winters were quite warm, but not at all pleasant. Humidity in the winter was much lower in Minnesota, so the cold didn't burrow through your clothes and you like the damp cold in Detroit.

However, for snow melt it was another thing all together. The warmer temps and the higher humidity both gave the air more thermal mass to do a better job of melting snow. The Detroit area counted on the mild temps and lots of salt to clear the roads, while the Twin Cities had to use plows. That, plus probably not minding if they made people buy more new cars, made Detroit so much worse than Minnesota for rusting out cars (and Minnesota is terrible!).

And yes, during the 2 years I lived in Pontiac, working for General Motors, I drove an '85 F-250HD!

Like any chemical, warmer temps make for more reaction, faster.

(this harkens back to the chloride discussion I unsubbed the other day! :nabble_smiley_whistling:)

Frozen snow isn't gonna do a dang thing to your vehicle.

Like any chemical, warmer temps make for more reaction, faster.

(this harkens back to the chloride discussion I unsubbed the other day! :nabble_smiley_whistling:)

Frozen snow isn't gonna do a dang thing to your vehicle.

I know dad complains about the salt but mostly the brine solution that get used. his 2012 f150 is so perforated by this point that I'm wondering how long he can keep driving it. rockers replaced a couple years ago. but the bed is disintegrating. he keeps spraying fluid film yet somehow salt can get where nothing else can. that and I'm pretty certain older trucks have thicker steel bodies.

I know dad complains about the salt but mostly the brine solution that get used. his 2012 f150 is so perforated by this point that I'm wondering how long he can keep driving it. rockers replaced a couple years ago. but the bed is disintegrating. he keeps spraying fluid film yet somehow salt can get where nothing else can. that and I'm pretty certain older trucks have thicker steel bodies.

Mag chloride eats aluminum trailers like nobody's business.

Truckers are suing in my state.

Yeah, magnesium is worse than sodium in this case.

He needs to use oil, then cover with the sheep grease...

It's Not salt, it's water (which is a pretty small molecule)

WD-40 is thin for a reason and it will creep into pinch welds and laps like (you know, and I can't say it here)

It's Not salt, it's water (which is a pretty small molecule)

WD-40 is thin for a reason and it will creep into pinch welds and laps like (you know, and I can't say it here)

I had grand plans to work on my diff this weekend.

I just got notice that the master shim kit and marking paste coming UPS that "a delivery exception has occured"

Shims go in first, then you check slack with a DTI.

Now my projected delivery date is Monday the 8th. 🤬. 🤯

Can I mention how much I HATE the big brown truck!

I really don't want to take it out on the driver, (nothing he did) so I really oughta not be around here when it finally DOES get dropped off

I had grand plans to work on my diff this weekend.

I just got notice that the master shim kit and marking paste coming UPS that "a delivery exception has occured"

Shims go in first, then you check slack with a DTI.

Now my projected delivery date is Monday the 8th. 🤬. 🤯

Can I mention how much I HATE the big brown truck!

I really don't want to take it out on the driver, (nothing he did) so I really oughta not be around here when it finally DOES get dropped off

I've worked for that company going on 9 years. It's insane how many packages get left in trailers then thrown out into the yard only to be found who knows when. Some trailers also don't go out the same day if it's not filled full, that will create a delivery exception. Not to mention a lot of layoffs and cutbacks have been happening the past several months. But yeah, really aggravating when something gets delayed.

I've worked for that company going on 9 years. It's insane how many packages get left in trailers then thrown out into the yard only to be found who knows when. Some trailers also don't go out the same day if it's not filled full, that will create a delivery exception. Not to mention a lot of layoffs and cutbacks have been happening the past several months. But yeah, really aggravating when something gets delayed.

Like I said, it's no criticism of the dock worker or the driver, whatever.

I definitely understand LTL, and the implications for their bottom line.

Years back UPS used to be headquartered in Greenwich right down the street from my house they had a big office Park.

But this is not the 1970s, and expectations are a bit higher when you can see your package tracking into Illinois and then you don't get any update for days.

Somehow, USPS delivers billions of discrete packages every day, pretty much without fail.

If I had had an option I would not have chosen UPS in any instance.

The final piece of my Rock Auto shipment is on a FedEx truck out for delivery, at 05:15 Eastern Time.

Gary says, FedUp, but I am not such a critic.

It's insane to me that I can send a package to NY (next door) and it will fly into, and out of Tennessee. Somehow they make it work.

UPS has 'disappeared' more packages on me that I care to fathom.

Again, I'm not :nabble_poo-23_orig: on you or your co-workers.

It's incredibly frustrating that the cheapest and easiest piece of this hand grenade AND the one I need FIRST, and also the one that is gonna be FOUR DAYS late! 😖

Like I said, it's no criticism of the dock worker or the driver, whatever.

I definitely understand LTL, and the implications for their bottom line.

Years back UPS used to be headquartered in Greenwich right down the street from my house they had a big office Park.

But this is not the 1970s, and expectations are a bit higher when you can see your package tracking into Illinois and then you don't get any update for days.

Somehow, USPS delivers billions of discrete packages every day, pretty much without fail.

If I had had an option I would not have chosen UPS in any instance.

The final piece of my Rock Auto shipment is on a FedEx truck out for delivery, at 05:15 Eastern Time.

Gary says, FedUp, but I am not such a critic.

It's insane to me that I can send a package to NY (next door) and it will fly into, and out of Tennessee. Somehow they make it work.

UPS has 'disappeared' more packages on me that I care to fathom.

Again, I'm not :nabble_poo-23_orig: on you or your co-workers.

It's incredibly frustrating that the cheapest and easiest piece of this hand grenade AND the one I need FIRST, and also the one that is gonna be FOUR DAYS late! 😖

Yeah the company has gone down hill a lot in the time I've been there. Nobody cares about anything other than making sure people are doing something at all times. I know how you feel about when a package goes to Hodgkin's,IL and stays there for days. That's the Chicago area consolidated hub, aka CACH. That place is huge and a real crap hole from my understanding.

Yeah the company has gone down hill a lot in the time I've been there. Nobody cares about anything other than making sure people are doing something at all times. I know how you feel about when a package goes to Hodgkin's,IL and stays there for days. That's the Chicago area consolidated hub, aka CACH. That place is huge and a real crap hole from my understanding.

Yep ! I've had stuff get hung up in Atlanta Ga for 2-3 days, going from one place to another, ( in Atlanta) then to Augusta Ga, then to my post office, then out to me. Got a pkg in transit now, left Columbia SC, passed by my PO, it's in Atlanta now waiting on whatever. I live in Aiken Co SC.

Best one yet, Place I worked for had a forming die from Mass, wound up lost in Texas, they asked us to pay shipping from Tx. to us. I forget what my boss told them, I know it wasn't nice.