Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's no fun when the cable frays and breaks. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Driving while tugging on a string is a challenge in coordination.

Especially if you have a manual.

That happened to my brother in his corvette. He called me asking what to do, him not being very mechanically inclined at all wound up hitching a ride home and fixing it with a pair of needle nose vise grips, the strings from a face mask and some string/rope of some sort. He got it home and drove it to my house 13 miles like that.

Biting down on a split chunk of lead you cast yourself from a smoldering pot of scrap car battery plates, sitting on the wood stove in a tiny cabin with no ventilation

😆

Oh, the memories!

Do you need to lose it from the end?

Or make the sleeve/sheath longer?

Like in the case of a throttle cable where the end snaps over the ball stud.

Because you can use the adjuster nut or screw from a bicycle/motorcycle cable.

These are slotted so you can fit the cable to the lever base.

Adjuster screws are meant to fit over and hold the ferrule* on the end of a cable sheath...

You can cut the screw to length of need be. 💡

Huh, that gave me another thought after reading that. I bet a .355" chunk of round lead could also be modified to work to do what I want, which I think I shall give a try considering I have a lot of those sitting in a box.

That happened to my brother in his corvette. He called me asking what to do, him not being very mechanically inclined at all wound up hitching a ride home and fixing it with a pair of needle nose vise grips, the strings from a face mask and some string/rope of some sort. He got it home and drove it to my house 13 miles like that.

I joke that my younger brother has the mechanical aptitude of a goldfish or carrot depending on the phase of the moon.(orange is a theme here 😂)

I'm not too far off, but he tries, and I think he enjoys it even when he fails miserably.

Hence the reason I had to come fix his Altima in the first place.

I joke that my younger brother has the mechanical aptitude of a goldfish or carrot depending on the phase of the moon.(orange is a theme here 😂)

I'm not too far off, but he tries, and I think he enjoys it even when he fails miserably.

Hence the reason I had to come fix his Altima in the first place.

My brother on my moms side never cared to work on cars. However he does catch on fast as he's helped do a number of projects on his corvette, although my nephew seems to be really into it. I've helped him to a number of stuff to his dodge dakota pickup and he wants to learn how to do more, so that's cool. My brother on my dads side is more mechanically inclined (I would hope so ,my dad worked as a mechanic for 50 years) but doesn't do near the stuff I do by himself. If only they'd seen my last automatic transmission rebuild all laid out on the bench in the garage, I can see the horrified looks on their faces now :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

My brother on my moms side never cared to work on cars. However he does catch on fast as he's helped do a number of projects on his corvette, although my nephew seems to be really into it. I've helped him to a number of stuff to his dodge dakota pickup and he wants to learn how to do more, so that's cool. My brother on my dads side is more mechanically inclined (I would hope so ,my dad worked as a mechanic for 50 years) but doesn't do near the stuff I do by himself. If only they'd seen my last automatic transmission rebuild all laid out on the bench in the garage, I can see the horrified looks on their faces now :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Have you ever sat in on an autopsy?

That's how I see the dismantling of a failed transmission.

Parts laid out in order, each inspected for defects and damage assessment.

It's very similar. 🧐

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Have you ever sat in on an autopsy?

That's how I see the dismantling of a failed transmission.

Parts laid out in order, each inspected for defects and damage assessment.

It's very similar. 🧐

Nope, I'll stick to engines, transmissions and differentials thank you very much. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Nope, I'll stick to engines, transmissions and differentials thank you very much. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

My little sister worked in the morgue for years.

First in Philly then in Detroit. 😷

That cable you show looks like 23"

I had to replace mine... twice.

The first (forget the brand) wouldn't stay 'on the ball' and I had to return it.

I ended up with a Pioneer and it seems quite good.

My little sister worked in the morgue for years.

First in Philly then in Detroit. 😷

That cable you show looks like 23"

I had to replace mine... twice.

The first (forget the brand) wouldn't stay 'on the ball' and I had to return it.

I ended up with a Pioneer and it seems quite good.

I didn't measure the OEM cable I took out, but 23" is about right. The new one I got I'm sure is for an EFI truck with the throttle body way up front. My cable was in good shape, it was just kind of gummed up. After lubricating it, it works nicer than the new cable does. Still hold onto the throttle ball pretty firm. I guess if I can't find a new one, I could always buy a generic make it yourself throttle cable kit worst case scenario.

Edit: turns out when I look my truck with my engine up it calls for a 42.5" cable but if I look my truck up with a 460 it gives the correct 23" cable. Go figure....

I didn't measure the OEM cable I took out, but 23" is about right. The new one I got I'm sure is for an EFI truck with the throttle body way up front. My cable was in good shape, it was just kind of gummed up. After lubricating it, it works nicer than the new cable does. Still hold onto the throttle ball pretty firm. I guess if I can't find a new one, I could always buy a generic make it yourself throttle cable kit worst case scenario.

Edit: turns out when I look my truck with my engine up it calls for a 42.5" cable but if I look my truck up with a 460 it gives the correct 23" cable. Go figure....

CA 8437 Fits my truck.

You might check if that application fits a 351HO, but I expect it will.

*** Both came with a 4180