Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Good to know. :nabble_smiley_good:

productive day. finally got to work on one of my own. having swapped from a c6 to an aod in my 86 the axle was way too low for the od. 3.08 with 32s. so I put in a 3.55 that I had on hand, but it was still not really correct with the tire size. found a 4.10 and got that installed today. now it seems to drive and hold the gears as it should. while waiting for the axle cover to dry before filling, I got to the swinging visor, lower door pin/ bushing kit, cleaned out the truck, vacuumed. now I feel more comfortable about driving it daily again. hopefully all of this will show up in the fuel mileage.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

productive day. finally got to work on one of my own. having swapped from a c6 to an aod in my 86 the axle was way too low for the od. 3.08 with 32s. so I put in a 3.55 that I had on hand, but it was still not really correct with the tire size. found a 4.10 and got that installed today. now it seems to drive and hold the gears as it should. while waiting for the axle cover to dry before filling, I got to the swinging visor, lower door pin/ bushing kit, cleaned out the truck, vacuumed. now I feel more comfortable about driving it daily again. hopefully all of this will show up in the fuel mileage.

Productive day, the least one can say!

:nabble_anim_claps:

Productive day, the least one can say!

:nabble_anim_claps:

Yes, that IS a productive day! I've always thought that 4.10 gears would be a good match for the AOD's .67:1 OD ratio. So I'm anxious to find out how it works in reality. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yes, that IS a productive day! I've always thought that 4.10 gears would be a good match for the AOD's .67:1 OD ratio. So I'm anxious to find out how it works in reality. :nabble_smiley_good:

it works great. I have this setup in a few different vehicles or close. this truck has 32s but my bronco2 has 31s along with the aod and 4.10. it just drives right. well as well as a short wheel base with f150 axles can anyway. to say it drives like a lifted cj5 is probably close. my flareside has stock size tires with 3.73 and it is my best fuel mileage truck getting 18 on long highway trips.

Sun and 40's tomorrow, showers Tuesday and sun with mixed clouds and highs at 50 W, T, F...

I'll take it for mid-January!

Like I said, I last bought a Powervalve in spring 2011.

Though I did experiment with the AVS 650 back when I installed these valve covers.

It couldn't deliver enough on top.

I let it run out of gas with a mechanical pump and as the fuel came back on the truck popped.

I lost a big brittle vacuum cap and was hoping that would solve it.

I DO think this carb was built after '91 so it should already have the check ball.

I'll have to make sure when I pop the primary bowl off to change the PV.

So, last week I replaced my Powervalve but as the weather turned colder it seems I need a choke adjustment.

I completely cleaned the front of the body, took the metering block and float bowl in to the bench to thoroughly clean any residue (amazingly clean for 13 years in service!)

I checked the float seat and height but seem to have a little roughness on trailing throttle and the revs don't drop as fast as I'd like.

I have replaced all the rotten vacuum caps and sprayed the spacer and both intake gaskets with starting fluid, not finding any vacuum leaks (nor brake booster or climate control manifold)

Any wisdom from the collective as to why it might be behaving differently now vs before?

What have I missed or overlooked?

I'm tagging Bill. Perhaps he has some insight or wisdom.

So, last week I replaced my Powervalve but as the weather turned colder it seems I need a choke adjustment.

I completely cleaned the front of the body, took the metering block and float bowl in to the bench to thoroughly clean any residue (amazingly clean for 13 years in service!)

I checked the float seat and height but seem to have a little roughness on trailing throttle and the revs don't drop as fast as I'd like.

I have replaced all the rotten vacuum caps and sprayed the spacer and both intake gaskets with starting fluid, not finding any vacuum leaks (nor brake booster or climate control manifold)

Any wisdom from the collective as to why it might be behaving differently now vs before?

What have I missed or overlooked?

I'm tagging Bill. Perhaps he has some insight or wisdom.

Obviously I'm not Bill, but is there any chance that your power valve was leaking a bit before it blew? Enough that now you need more choke? (You didn't say which way the choke needs adjusted, but I guessed it is lean.)

I've often wondered if PV's go bad after thousands of flexes, or if they just fail when hit with a backfire. Given my Super Bee's propensity to backfire due to the lean jetting I usually experienced a failure related to that. But might the fabric crack and leak after 13 years - especially if someone frequently exercises it?

Obviously I'm not Bill, but is there any chance that your power valve was leaking a bit before it blew? Enough that now you need more choke? (You didn't say which way the choke needs adjusted, but I guessed it is lean.)

I've often wondered if PV's go bad after thousands of flexes, or if they just fail when hit with a backfire. Given my Super Bee's propensity to backfire due to the lean jetting I usually experienced a failure related to that. But might the fabric crack and leak after 13 years - especially if someone frequently exercises it?

The rubber looked like it is cracked.

I think it was just very weak from age.

Though the accelerator pump works fine! :nabble_anim_confused:

If I remembered where I tossed it I'd be tempted to cut the cage open and inspect where it is leaking.

If I remembered where I tossed it I'd be tempted to cut the cage open and inspect where it is leaking.

accelerator pump diaphragms get a whole lot more exercise as you would expect and I wonder if working them helps as much as hurts. either way 13 years is awesome with modern fuel. it seems keeping them wet and in use does more than anything.

Any chance the PV has been leaking a bit all along, which masked a lean condition?

Otherwise it acts like you have a vacuum leak. But you've already tested and replaced everything I would have. :nabble_anim_confused:

accelerator pump diaphragms get a whole lot more exercise as you would expect and I wonder if working them helps as much as hurts. either way 13 years is awesome with modern fuel. it seems keeping them wet and in use does more than anything.

Oh no. I know how many times that pump squirts every time I fill up.($168 on Monday,another $100 yesterday,,, :nabble_smiley_whistling:)

And if it's still working I'm not going to change it, unless I have to pull the hole carb off and dissect it looking for this problem.

A bench rebuild is not something I can or want to set an afternoon aside for right now.

I work 3pm to 8am on weekends and either 3-11 or 3-7am the other 4 days of the week.