Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I've had two boat trailers with surge brakes and both were a pain. Backing up was difficult and required locking the brakes out if there was any uphill to it or soft ground. I converted the last one, the one for the 25' Sea Ray, to electric and they served me very well for many years and several thousand miles.

And I agree with Bob about the ability to hit the trailer brakes by themselves. My 2015 F150 has the ability via the stability control system to bring the trailer brakes on to stop any fishtailing, and it did it once on our trip to Lake Powell with that Sea Ray. An 18-wheeler went by us at a high rate of speed and that caused the trailer to get moved to the right and then to the left as he passed. I felt the trailer brakes come on very briefly and everything straightened out immediately. We weren't in any danger, but it was comforting to know that if we had been the system would have stopped the swaying.

I don't think that ability is available with straight surge brakes.

Very good points!

Especially with heavier trailers.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very good points!

Especially with heavier trailers.

More of a 'What Happened To Your Truck Today'...

On my way from work this morning and I went to switch tanks.

The truck hiccuped and blew it's Powervalve.

It's 13 years old at this point, and I probably should have been more on top of maintenance (it certainly doesn't owe me anything) but the truck is pig rich and won't idle.

At least it's manual that I can heel & toe.

No more old school speed shops around here and none of the chains have a 7.5 or higher available through the warehouse.

It's going to be a fun couple of days of 3.5 mpg and fogging for mosquitoes in the snow/slush storm that's about to envelope us.

And if I wasn't busy enough last night, the first significant slippery event of the year is always amateur hour where every unaccustomed driver does stupid things and wins stupid prizes. 🏆. 😣

I need to go dig out my farm boots and hi-viz Grunden bibs.... :nabble_smiley_argh:

It's 13 years old at this point, and I probably should have been more on top of maintenance (it certainly doesn't owe me anything) but the truck is pig rich and won't idle.

No more old school speed shops around here and none of the chains have a 7.5 or higher available through the warehouse.

It's going to be a fun couple of days of 3.5 mpg and fogging for mosquitoes in the snow/slush storm that's about to envelope us.

And if I wasn't busy enough last night, the first significant slippery event of the year is always amateur hour where every unaccustomed driver does stupid things and wins stupid prizes. 🏆. 😣

I need to go dig out my farm boots and hi-viz Grunden bibs.... :nabble_smiley_argh:

Bummer! Good luck, Jim! Be safe.

Bummer! Good luck, Jim! Be safe.

Thanks Gary! :nabble_smiley_good:

Amazon tomorrow, they're saying "by 10 pm", but I really don't want to be out in that mess pulling my carb (especially after being cold and wet all night)

Monday's supposed to be sunny with a high of 40.

I suppose that is my window of opportunity.

Then the rain moves in.... if you trust the forecast.

Sorry to read that Jim.

I hope your Amazon delivery will carry the right parts and 'll be on time.

Snow and Mosquitoes?

Curious mix we don't see often up here.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Sorry to read that Jim.

I hope your Amazon delivery will carry the right parts and 'll be on time.

Snow and Mosquitoes?

Curious mix we don't see often up here.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Just being facetious.

I do remember the trucks driving around with a huge cloud behind them when I was a little kid.

Then there was some more of that in 1999 at the height of the "West Nile crisis"

Just being facetious.

I do remember the trucks driving around with a huge cloud behind them when I was a little kid.

Then there was some more of that in 1999 at the height of the "West Nile crisis"

The amount of steam my carbureted vehicles make in the cold is crazy. Supposed to get a lot of snow here by the end of next week. I am not looking forward to going to work in that. Are the old hydraulic trailer brake controllers worth anything? I have one in my truck and am going to remove it. It's a Hayes controller, works fine but ever since I put my steering column back in, I keep getting a harmonic engine vibration sound coming into the cab via the brake like for it and I can't seem to get it to stop unless I pull on the line, so I'm going to remove it.

The amount of steam my carbureted vehicles make in the cold is crazy. Supposed to get a lot of snow here by the end of next week. I am not looking forward to going to work in that. Are the old hydraulic trailer brake controllers worth anything? I have one in my truck and am going to remove it. It's a Hayes controller, works fine but ever since I put my steering column back in, I keep getting a harmonic engine vibration sound coming into the cab via the brake like for it and I can't seem to get it to stop unless I pull on the line, so I'm going to remove it.

I was talking about belching black smoke, but yeah the steam is pretty intense with no cat.

Lying and slush on the side of the highway while you hook a car is no damn fun at all

I was talking about belching black smoke, but yeah the steam is pretty intense with no cat.

Lying and slush on the side of the highway while you hook a car is no damn fun at all

Snow turned to drizzle around daybreak and now it's back to light snow.

Amazon says 12:45-3:45 but I expect delay because of road conditions.

I won't have daylight or time to get this done today, but hopefully parts in hand and this weather clears out tomorrow. :nabble_smiley_good:

Snow turned to drizzle around daybreak and now it's back to light snow.Amazon says 12:45-3:45 but I expect delay because of road conditions.I won't have daylight or time to get this done today, but hopefully parts in hand and this weather clears out tomorrow. :nabble_smiley_good:
Hopefully you can get it fixed tomorrow - between storms.

(You have noted, I hope, that'd I've not said anything about the flaw in Holley carbs. :nabble_smiley_evil: Oh wait! I just did. :nabble_smiley_cry:)