Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Yes, a 1G doesn't put out all that much at idle - or at full tilt for that matter. But spinning it up rapidly made me wonder if the v-belt wouldn't squeal. Apparently not.

And I'm glad to see that the alternator can safely spin that fast. :nabble_smiley_good:

A 95A 1G is just fine for a stock XLT with electric windows and AC on full tilt.

Add dual electric fans, heated seats, 400W of lights, a stereo that will blow the windows out, all manner of electronic "widgets" or a massive winch and that equation goes on its head. 🙃

But no one had all that crap in 1984. No one even wanted it!

The 3G came about because the miserable 2G failed constantly and couldn't begin to keep up with the power hungry fans in Sables and Town Cars while stuck idling in traffic.

It became a popular swap because they were reliable, they were everywhere, they were cheap and bolted right in.

Do I need one?

No, but I'm not going to constantly go through 2G's, pigtails and expensive batteries (or possibly burn my truck down)

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A 95A 1G is just fine for a stock XLT with electric windows and AC on full tilt.

Add dual electric fans, heated seats, 400W of lights, a stereo that will blow the windows out, all manner of electronic "widgets" or a massive winch and that equation goes on its head. 🙃

But no one had all that crap in 1984. No one even wanted it!

The 3G came about because the miserable 2G failed constantly and couldn't begin to keep up with the power hungry fans in Sables and Town Cars while stuck idling in traffic.

It became a popular swap because they were reliable, they were everywhere, they were cheap and bolted right in.

Do I need one?

No, but I'm not going to constantly go through 2G's, pigtails and expensive batteries (or possibly burn my truck down)

Our 1G's only came in 60A form. Maybe you are thinking of the little 3G? That was the base alternator until some time in the late 90's I'd guess since when I pull up alternators for a '96 RA says 95 or the optional 130.

Yes, I have the winch and the power-hungry inverter, so I'm glad I have your 130A 3G. But even it just barely keeps up with the inverter when the air compressor is running cause that combo pulls about 120A. However with the 2 second LRC regulator I don't have any belt squeal - maybe 'cause I don't have the smoke grinder so have a lot of belt on the pulley.

Our 1G's only came in 60A form.

That's not true.

Go back to your books.

Ford offered a high output 1G. (often in cop cars that did a lot of idling with the AC on)

They also offered that huge Leece-Neville for ambulance duties. But that isn't the 1G...

Well, would you look at that! There are lots of 70 and 100A alternators. And in the '82 dealer fact book it shows "width="Alternator, 60 and 100 amp, all models except Ranger, Courier." :nabble_smiley_blush:

header_13_orig.thumb.jpg.83a50dfb38b4ad4f75ad0250feaacbc4.jpgmounting-parts-list-3.thumb.jpg.d15ca33c6968c6d982d9adf38d2ac37e.jpg

Well, would you look at that! There are lots of 70 and 100A alternators. And in the '82 dealer fact book it shows "width="Alternator, 60 and 100 amp, all models except Ranger, Courier." :nabble_smiley_blush:

When I look up a replacement alternator on rockauto I find the 60 amp 1g which I bought, the 2G and I even found a large case high amp 1G offered for my year/make/model/engine. I wish my truck had just come with a 1G to start with I would have never bothered with the 3G for my needs.

When I look up a replacement alternator on rockauto I find the 60 amp 1g which I bought, the 2G and I even found a large case high amp 1G offered for my year/make/model/engine. I wish my truck had just come with a 1G to start with I would have never bothered with the 3G for my needs.

Came out this morning to a flat left rear tire. Took a 2-3" Duplex nail right through a tread block. I was able to plug it but will likely start shopping for a new set of tires as these are from 2019 so they're ready for replacement anyway. Unfortunately, what were $900 tires in 2019, are now $1400 for some reason and it sucks because I like these tires. I'll have to go back with the ones I had on the truck from 2016-2019 since the pricepoint on those didn't change.

Came out this morning to a flat left rear tire. Took a 2-3" Duplex nail right through a tread block. I was able to plug it but will likely start shopping for a new set of tires as these are from 2019 so they're ready for replacement anyway. Unfortunately, what were $900 tires in 2019, are now $1400 for some reason and it sucks because I like these tires. I'll have to go back with the ones I had on the truck from 2016-2019 since the pricepoint on those didn't change.

I wonder why some tires went up so much and others didn't?

Anyway, I hope you find some you like.

Sandblasted and sanded my "new" air cleaner housing and I took off that air cleaner diverter valve thing and made a blockoff plate for it and riveted it on using the original rivet holes. It pretty much faces the firewall so not going to bother going any further with it. When I get a nice warm day hopefully soon I will paint the housing black and the lid a silver/aluminum color. I also riveted the new cold/hot air vacuum motor to the snorkel. The rod was just a tad shorter than the original vacuum motor but it opens 95% of the way and closes all the way. Good enough for my uses.

329930065_756658042354093_1752141659096161262_n.jpg.b894ea670594b08446fb03d9f19cf4e2.jpg

I wonder the same thing. The ones I have now are Centennial Dirt Commander MT's. Not necessarily a well-known or name brand tire.

I did notice that there is a significant $300 difference in price (for set of 4) between a 35x12.5R17 and a 35x12.5R18 with the 18" version being the cheaper one. It seems that 17" wheels are quickly becoming the new 16.5 wheels.

I went up to 17's so that my rear calipers would have room. Might have to look into 20" wheels since they're pretty much the new minimum wheel size on every vehicle made today, but I really would rather not have to pay for a new set of wheels when the ones I have are only six years old. I might not have a choice though if 17" tire options become hard to find or too expensive.

I wonder the same thing. The ones I have now are Centennial Dirt Commander MT's. Not necessarily a well-known or name brand tire.

I did notice that there is a significant $300 difference in price (for set of 4) between a 35x12.5R17 and a 35x12.5R18 with the 18" version being the cheaper one. It seems that 17" wheels are quickly becoming the new 16.5 wheels.

I went up to 17's so that my rear calipers would have room. Might have to look into 20" wheels since they're pretty much the new minimum wheel size on every vehicle made today, but I really would rather not have to pay for a new set of wheels when the ones I have are only six years old. I might not have a choice though if 17" tire options become hard to find or too expensive.

Painted my air cleaner housing yesterday and bolted the snorkel to the housing today. Still waiting on my air cleaner decal and filter element to show up and I'll put it on the truck. I think it turned out pretty good.

334030698_3060244040946553_7778260698974715598_n.jpg.026e8ccb4911146a0ebc72cbb00035b6.jpg