Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Bummer on getting COVID again. Sounds like the same symptoms I had, but it took weeks before I was fully back up to speed.

Anyway, glad you have used the time to get things done.

Installed a smaller alternator pulley today. Went from the stock 75mm to a 60mm powermaster pulley. Made quite a difference in slow speed charging with everything on - it keeps up now. 332632370_675120317723841_4353366969821334496_n.jpg.0ad48decd069e6ac50c7cbd64a8dff7e.jpg

333081471_1847806298935641_4830020690450553251_n.jpg.84a0e28ab7bbe0c5c0f5efc1c4cc74f7.jpg

Pulley ratio went from 2.68:1 overdriven to 3.38:1

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Installed a smaller alternator pulley today. Went from the stock 75mm to a 60mm powermaster pulley. Made quite a difference in slow speed charging with everything on - it keeps up now.

Interesting

Is that a 1G or 2G alternator?

Those of us with 3G's are often looking for a bigger pulley to eliminate chirp or squeal on startup. (not only the ratio but more belt contact)

Many of us resort to a LRC (white) regulator that ramps up.

Installed a smaller alternator pulley today. Went from the stock 75mm to a 60mm powermaster pulley. Made quite a difference in slow speed charging with everything on - it keeps up now.

Glad that worked. But do you have any belt squeal on startup?

Also, note that the alternator would have spun at 13,400 RPM when the engine hit 5000, but will now hit 16,900. I don't know what the limit is on the windings, but that is a lot of spinning.

Also, note that the alternator would have spun at 13,400 RPM when the engine hit 5000, but will now hit 16,900. I don't know what the limit is on the windings, but that is a lot of spinning.

who turns a stock 300 5k?:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

It's a 60 amp 1G and no belt squeal. The same pulley is on a power master 70 amp 1G in my dad's 64 galaxie with a 445 FE stroker and it also works great. According to Powermaster 18000 alternator rpm is max safe and most can handle 20000 alternator rpm intermittently without any issues.

Remember Gary, a single belt can handle well over 100A before it starts slipping (if Ryan's videos were any indication)

And the 1G & 2G were never putting out more than 30A at idle.

It's only the vastly more powerful 3G internals that cause issues (because they put out more than that at 600 engine rpm)

Remember Gary, a single belt can handle well over 100A before it starts slipping (if Ryan's videos were any indication)

And the 1G & 2G were never putting out more than 30A at idle.

It's only the vastly more powerful 3G internals that cause issues (because they put out more than that at 600 engine rpm)

IMG_20230211_131157.jpg.4523946eb995286000888edfb91c1848.jpg

This is the giant pulley I had on my 3G, belt still squealed on startup in dry weather and had horribly short belt life since I had to run it so tight on belt tension. Even with a soft start regulator that single V belt was no match. Belt alignment was good and it didn't make much difference on belt brand either. I don't have any additional load requirements on the truck so I figured a 1G would be just fine. I wasn't going to put a 2G back in it. I have been happy with my other 1G equipped vehicles as well.

This is the giant pulley I had on my 3G, belt still squealed on startup in dry weather and had horribly short belt life since I had to run it so tight on belt tension. Even with a soft start regulator that single V belt was no match. Belt alignment was good and it didn't make much difference on belt brand either. I don't have any additional load requirements on the truck so I figured a 1G would be just fine. I wasn't going to put a 2G back in it. I have been happy with my other 1G equipped vehicles as well.

Wow! 😳

I've never seen a pulley that big.

I don't have any problems with belt life and a LRC regulator.

I don't want to max out the belt tension and kill my bearings.

Yeah, 2G's are the spawn of Satan.

I went through two of them before I installed a 3G and retrofitting a stand alone VR didn't appeal to me, but the 1G (in it's various iterations) is a fine answer for most trucks electrical loads.

There's nothing wrong with old school! I'm kind of surprised that you're not running a Pertronix module in your Galaxies.

I got put off to filing and gapping points when I has an H2 Kawasaki. 😆

Wow! 😳

I've never seen a pulley that big.

I don't have any problems with belt life and a LRC regulator.

I don't want to max out the belt tension and kill my bearings.

Yeah, 2G's are the spawn of Satan.

I went through two of them before I installed a 3G and retrofitting a stand alone VR didn't appeal to me, but the 1G (in it's various iterations) is a fine answer for most trucks electrical loads.

There's nothing wrong with old school! I'm kind of surprised that you're not running a Pertronix module in your Galaxies.

I got put off to filing and gapping points when I has an H2 Kawasaki. 😆

I run a summit racing billet ready to run AKA MSD distributor in my dad's car. It replaced a brand new $300 pee poor pertronix billet flamethrower II distributor that had starting issues even though it passed every test pertronix said to do. In my 4 door daily driver galaxie with points I run a stock distributor with a renberles products dynaflyte 707SD ball bearing dual point with vacuum advance distributor plate. Works fantastic.

I run a summit racing billet ready to run AKA MSD distributor in my dad's car. It replaced a brand new $300 pee poor pertronix billet flamethrower II distributor that had starting issues even though it passed every test pertronix said to do. In my 4 door daily driver galaxie with points I run a stock distributor with a renberles products dynaflyte 707SD ball bearing dual point with vacuum advance distributor plate. Works fantastic.

Yes, a 1G doesn't put out all that much at idle - or at full tilt for that matter. But spinning it up rapidly made me wonder if the v-belt wouldn't squeal. Apparently not.

And I'm glad to see that the alternator can safely spin that fast. :nabble_smiley_good: