Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Edit:

Found that they call it a "boaterhome".

The van is fused with the trailer, but the boat is separated.

Why keep it simple when you can do so complicated!

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Yesterday, I got the 4r70w transmission up in place of the old AOD. Stuff fits fine, but it seems like there's some fitment issue with the Torque converter. I've done enough transmission work to know that you have to fully seat the TC onto all the concentric shafts/pumps, but it still seems like things are too tight. When the TC studs go through the flexplate, the TC cannot wiggle at all, and there seems to be something keeping it from going fully forward.

When this happened yesterday, I took it back off and checked to see that the crank pilot guide was the same size as my AOD one. Looks like it sticks out longer than the AOD but is the same diameter. It had a weird bur/dent on the end, which I filed off. Put it all back together, but it was still the same too-tight fit.

Today I will be taking it back apart and checking things out to see what the heck it could be. I'm also waiting on a callback from Monster Transmission to see if they know of any differences in the crank guides or if they have encountered any problems with fitment in the past.

It's always something, isn't it?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday, I got the 4r70w transmission up in place of the old AOD. Stuff fits fine, but it seems like there's some fitment issue with the Torque converter. I've done enough transmission work to know that you have to fully seat the TC onto all the concentric shafts/pumps, but it still seems like things are too tight. When the TC studs go through the flexplate, the TC cannot wiggle at all, and there seems to be something keeping it from going fully forward.

When this happened yesterday, I took it back off and checked to see that the crank pilot guide was the same size as my AOD one. Looks like it sticks out longer than the AOD but is the same diameter. It had a weird bur/dent on the end, which I filed off. Put it all back together, but it was still the same too-tight fit.

Today I will be taking it back apart and checking things out to see what the heck it could be. I'm also waiting on a callback from Monster Transmission to see if they know of any differences in the crank guides or if they have encountered any problems with fitment in the past.

It's always something, isn't it?

Man that’s a bummer! Taking it in and out.

Hopefully Monster has some info for you.

Man that’s a bummer! Taking it in and out.

Hopefully Monster has some info for you.

Man, you think THAT'S a bummer! Wait til you see this:

laxfMi1.jpg.d47e9d4f4fcf753f35629c9fb05c91c5.jpg

sQnDGAx.jpg.e39546d92c27b3f3acfbdcc4077ba063.jpg

4pOCKvD.thumb.jpg.4a214625fe2a02c596c0fc1f80e75031.jpg

iC3cgfX.thumb.jpg.d11c7f5c8c7365e2ad5dad4e085021ef.jpg

As I was letting it back down on the transmission jack, it got hung up for a split second, made a little pop noise and continued down. When it came all the way down I noticed it was "custom" now. From the looks of it, it was an old crack that opened the rest of the way up at the first sign of adversity.

Guess I'll keep you guys updated on Monster's Warranty process! Ugh.

As I was letting it back down on the transmission jack, it got hung up for a split second, made a little pop noise and continued down. When it came all the way down I noticed it was "custom" now. From the looks of it, it was an old crack that opened the rest of the way up at the first sign of adversity.

Oh boy!

Very interested in how this all works out.

I'm sick just reading this. obviously, the answer is that it needs a new case. it is possible that a good aluminum welder could fix this if that is required.

on another note. i forgot the original point. are you sure that you have the correct flexplate. i know that the aod needs its own but i don't remember which engine you have i know i have had a bit of a time sourcing plates for aod/aode with 351w . aod requires more room in the bell housing so the flexplate is formed to be closer to the block giving more room for the converter. do not use a c6/e4od flexplate with an aod! it will ruin the pump.

Oh man. Arghhh!!!

on another note. i forgot the original point. are you sure that you have the correct flexplate. i know that the aod needs its own but i don't remember which engine you have i know i have had a bit of a time sourcing plates for aod/aode with 351w . aod requires more room in the bell housing so the flexplate is formed to be closer to the block giving more room for the converter. do not use a c6/e4od flexplate with an aod! it will ruin the pump.

I think it could be welded, if need be.

I'm almost positive that they told me that the flex plates are the same, but I'll double check when I talk to them about the bell housing.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff, will we be seeing Big Brother all done up in a Christmas photo shoot this year? I'm looking forward to it!

John, had some starting trouble with Big Brother, stalled in his garage... Fixed this morning.

This is the 2022 Christmas pict, took a bit late this afternoon, but here it is!

:nabble_smiley_happy:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Merry-Christmas-tp128874p129036.html