Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Lots of placed make those around here. The guy I bought the shed from had a 10x12 on order...

But they are expensive... a few thousand at least, to the point where many of them are a buy here pay here sort of thing ($120 a month for 60 months, etc.). Heck, 10K will get one a decent sized garage (no utilities, but I could tackle that later)... so blowing 3K I don't really want to spend on a large-ish shed doesn't really make sense if the former is the end goal.

A few days ago I took the AOD/BW1345 out of my 86 Bronco in the first stages of a tranny swap. Today my custom 4r70w arrived from Monster Transmission! I'll get my lady to help me lift it up onto the workbench and I'll get started attaching the transfer case to the new transmission. I should have some pictures later today. I have to wait til my lunch break to crack open the pallet. Super excited!

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A few days ago I took the AOD/BW1345 out of my 86 Bronco in the first stages of a tranny swap. Today my custom 4r70w arrived from Monster Transmission! I'll get my lady to help me lift it up onto the workbench and I'll get started attaching the transfer case to the new transmission. I should have some pictures later today. I have to wait til my lunch break to crack open the pallet. Super excited!

Hope it works for you. I've heard bad reviews of monster transmissions... most of them were GM applications though (4L60E's, which require special treatment to make reliable). One guy's on his 3rd one... and he wasn't pushing it!

are you adding the ecu for the 4r70w also

are you adding the ecu for the 4r70w also

I'm getting the Baumann/US Shift Quick 4 controller. Since I have the Edelbrock aftermarket EFI, I don't have any of the original Ford ECU or engine wiring anymore, so I won't need to upgrade to a new Ford ECU for this. The Quick 4 controller just uses the stock ford transmission sensors, and an input from the TPS to do the computing!

I'm getting the Baumann/US Shift Quick 4 controller. Since I have the Edelbrock aftermarket EFI, I don't have any of the original Ford ECU or engine wiring anymore, so I won't need to upgrade to a new Ford ECU for this. The Quick 4 controller just uses the stock ford transmission sensors, and an input from the TPS to do the computing!

yes, the Bauman quick 4 should do well. I recently did very similar on an 86 f150 with a compushift controller. that one was a great option also and their customer service was excellent also. there are a couple out there for retro fits and i chose the one that i did after a good bit of research. the quick four was my initial choice.

Noted for if I ever upgrade to an E4OD... did a quick read of the manual; looks like it would integrate with the existing feedback carb and cruise control nicely. Not that I have any plans (or spare funds) for such... but good to know.

Noted for if I ever upgrade to an E4OD... did a quick read of the manual; looks like it would integrate with the existing feedback carb and cruise control nicely. Not that I have any plans (or spare funds) for such... but good to know.

Today I moved my F350 back onto the concrete slab so that work can resume now that hurricane season is over.

I picked up my first welder on Black Friday, and have already begun getting the hang of welding. This truck needs the back lower section of the cab, the rockers need some small patch panels to fix the hack job the previous owner did, and there are two spots at the firewall that need to be addressed. At some point over the last thirty years prior to my ownership, somebody lifted the cab by the upper passenger fender mount, which caused some signicant cracking that needs to be addressed. I've already drilled holes to stop them, and I already cut that whole section out of my donor truck's firewall to repair it. Once I feel confident in my welding ability, I'll start addressing all of this while I wait for my engine stuff.

DSCN2570.jpg.a813ace3a4ca96b6cd9dc7c4f248bc71.jpg

Today I moved my F350 back onto the concrete slab so that work can resume now that hurricane season is over.

I picked up my first welder on Black Friday, and have already begun getting the hang of welding. This truck needs the back lower section of the cab, the rockers need some small patch panels to fix the hack job the previous owner did, and there are two spots at the firewall that need to be addressed. At some point over the last thirty years prior to my ownership, somebody lifted the cab by the upper passenger fender mount, which caused some signicant cracking that needs to be addressed. I've already drilled holes to stop them, and I already cut that whole section out of my donor truck's firewall to repair it. Once I feel confident in my welding ability, I'll start addressing all of this while I wait for my engine stuff.

I finally got my TTB death wobble issue I have been chasing for 2 months figured out. Turns out the drop bracket bolts for the passenger side beam backed off. Tightened them up and reinstalled my dual shock stabilizer, and also installed my sway bar drop brackets and sway bar with new links. Truck drives great. The steering geometry isn't totally perfect like I'd prefer it, and I would like a Blue Top steering box, but just about everything is new, or have parts sitting here for it. Ideally I would like to extend the stabilizer mount, drop the pitman arm a little more, and reinstall the forward front shocks but one thing at a time.

It was also a wee bit snowy so I snagged a quick photo.

IMG_20221211_184753_558.jpg.79e30ad29dd7b63ad28824ca3596e0d5.jpg

I finally got my TTB death wobble issue I have been chasing for 2 months figured out. Turns out the drop bracket bolts for the passenger side beam backed off. Tightened them up and reinstalled my dual shock stabilizer, and also installed my sway bar drop brackets and sway bar with new links. Truck drives great. The steering geometry isn't totally perfect like I'd prefer it, and I would like a Blue Top steering box, but just about everything is new, or have parts sitting here for it. Ideally I would like to extend the stabilizer mount, drop the pitman arm a little more, and reinstall the forward front shocks but one thing at a time.

It was also a wee bit snowy so I snagged a quick photo.

Love the pic, Angelo!

And I'm glad you got the death wobble solved. That's a huge win. :nabble_smiley_good:

Love the pic, Angelo!

And I'm glad you got the death wobble solved. That's a huge win. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks Gary, she drives great now save for the cockeyed steering wheel. Camber and caster still a little off but not terrible.

I am thinking about putting a crossmember in between the drop radius arm brackets too for a bit of stability. I found one online but I think I could make one out of angle iron cheaper, granted it wouldn't be adjustable or as pretty looking, but functional. My 78 and 79 2wds had it from factory, my 90 doesn't. And with the brackets having a 6 inch drop on them I feel like its a little more load than I'd like on the bolts holding it to the frame.