Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

This morning, after horse manure and before going office, I changed the exterior mirrors.

The new ones I bought from LMC were angled shape, and I wanted to be as close to Big Brother's original ones as possible. Well, have to admit that I did cheat a little bit, cause Big Bro was born with black ones and I definitely prefer the chrome ones.

:nabble_smiley_whistling:

So, on my forum friends' advice, I found nice rounded mirrors and took off the angle shape LMC's.

I've put these mirrors on both my F150, and my F350. Although neither truck came with them from the factory, I set both trucks up to have the Trailer Special package so these mirrors were something I wanted to add to complete the look. I kept the angled mirrors though because my F150 was a 1980, and my F350 is pretending to be a 1980.

picture868.jpg.32e8993e09afc3cc07728b5322db6afe.jpg

DSCN2518.jpg.5961953b0ee3b6984f57e826c5dec101.jpg

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This morning, after horse manure and before going office, I changed the exterior mirrors.

The new ones I bought from LMC were angled shape, and I wanted to be as close to Big Brother's original ones as possible. Well, have to admit that I did cheat a little bit, cause Big Bro was born with black ones and I definitely prefer the chrome ones.

:nabble_smiley_whistling:

So, on my forum friends' advice, I found nice rounded mirrors and took off the angle shape LMC's.

I've put these mirrors on both my F150, and my F350. Although neither truck came with them from the factory, I set both trucks up to have the Trailer Special package so these mirrors were something I wanted to add to complete the look. I kept the angled mirrors though because my F150 was a 1980, and my F350 is pretending to be a 1980.

Are the three-bolt mirrors rare or anything? There's a set out at my local junkyard. I could grab them for someone if they're needed.

Are the three-bolt mirrors rare or anything? There's a set out at my local junkyard. I could grab them for someone if they're needed.

I wouldn't say rare, but it's getting hard to find good condition used ones.

Occasionally they pop up on Ebay N.O.S, but aftermarket replacements are available through LMC. As far as I can see, the aftermarkets look identical to OEM, with only minor differences in hardware and maybe quality.

I wouldn't say rare, but it's getting hard to find good condition used ones.

Occasionally they pop up on Ebay N.O.S, but aftermarket replacements are available through LMC. As far as I can see, the aftermarkets look identical to OEM, with only minor differences in hardware and maybe quality.

Metal thickness and tightness of the ball and socket have always been a problem with aftermarket mirrors.

I don't know about the quality of the mirrors from LMC today but circa 2008 they were really bad.

Today I changed my 35 year old throttle cable.

Hopped in the truck to go to Home Depot early and when I stepped on the pedal to set the choke it flopped to the floor.

The ferrule end of the cable wore through where it comes around the bend into the cab.

Took a bit to find the short (23") one, discontinued by Ford, and the first one I got wouldn't stay on the ball.

I ended up borrowing a car do drive to an AutoZone that had the other brand -Pioneer- cable in stock.

This seemed to fit a lot better, and I angled the he bracket so it points at the side of the carb.

I hope this one stays put.

Metal thickness and tightness of the ball and socket have always been a problem with aftermarket mirrors.

I don't know about the quality of the mirrors from LMC today but circa 2008 they were really bad.

Today I changed my 35 year old throttle cable.

Hopped in the truck to go to Home Depot early and when I stepped on the pedal to set the choke it flopped to the floor.

The ferrule end of the cable wore through where it comes around the bend into the cab.

Took a bit to find the short (23") one, discontinued by Ford, and the first one I got wouldn't stay on the ball.

I ended up borrowing a car do drive to an AutoZone that had the other brand -Pioneer- cable in stock.

This seemed to fit a lot better, and I angled the he bracket so it points at the side of the carb.

I hope this one stays put.

Glad you got that fixed, Jim. It sure is a bummer when the cable fails. Such a simple thing stops you completely. :nabble_smiley_good:

Glad you got that fixed, Jim. It sure is a bummer when the cable fails. Such a simple thing stops you completely. :nabble_smiley_good:

My truck doesn't seem to like this PA trip any more than I do. 😠

STILL dealing with a messed up ring gear that likes to eat starters.

Bit me yesterday in the Home Depot parking lot. Fortunately it wasn't too crowded and I wasn't completely at the bottom.

Tired of dealing with big chain stores and I don't know anything around here. I got the big jungle/river to deliver Prime.

My sister must be really close to the warehouse because some items I can order by noon and have it that day.

Thankfully it was dry and relatively warm this afternoon.

Greasy, nasty cable got binned too.

Bit me yesterday in the Home Depot parking lot. Fortunately it wasn't too crowded and I wasn't completely at the bottom.

Tired of dealing with big chain stores and I don't know anything around here. I got the big jungle/river to deliver Prime.

My sister must be really close to the warehouse because some items I can order by noon and have it that day.

My 86 Bronco was eating starters. It was breaking the mounting ears off of them! Turns out the transmission shop I had taken it to ages ago didn't put in the alignment dowels so the bell housing was able to move around a bit, which meant the flexplate was slightly eccentric to the location of the starter, which made it snap the starter. I got the lifetime warranty one from O'Reilly while diagnosing this issue over the course of a couple years. Probably got 6 starters out of that deal. :D

Bummer, Jim! Glad you got a new one on, but that ring gear will eat it as well at some point.

As for a trip to PA, I've had my share of issues there as well, but then I lived there for several years. I hope you didn't have to travel on the PA Turnpike. I dislike it.

Bummer, Jim! Glad you got a new one on, but that ring gear will eat it as well at some point.

As for a trip to PA, I've had my share of issues there as well, but then I lived there for several years. I hope you didn't have to travel on the PA Turnpike. I dislike it.

It eats them all. I have 3 (THREE!!!) on the shelf..... back in Connecticut. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I just buy a new gear and the bearing that goes in the nosecones.

This has been an issue for over a decade, since I used a cheap flywheel/ring gear combination swapping over to the Zf in the middle of winter.

I just didn't want to wait on the machine shop to surface the OEM one, and it cost more to blanchard grind it than this one did.

I have a new ring gear and clutch but don't have a decent place to tear the engine out.

I also have a new pan gasket, and we know that can't be accomplished in the truck.

I HOPE to get out of here tomorrow.

I have to grout the shower and install the plumbing trim. And pack a LOT of tools and junk.

It's my little brothers birthday Sunday. It would be nice to see him and treat him to dinner if he doesn't have to work.

It eats them all. I have 3 (THREE!!!) on the shelf..... back in Connecticut. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I just buy a new gear and the bearing that goes in the nosecones.

This has been an issue for over a decade, since I used a cheap flywheel/ring gear combination swapping over to the Zf in the middle of winter.

I just didn't want to wait on the machine shop to surface the OEM one, and it cost more to blanchard grind it than this one did.

I have a new ring gear and clutch but don't have a decent place to tear the engine out.

I also have a new pan gasket, and we know that can't be accomplished in the truck.

I HOPE to get out of here tomorrow.

I have to grout the shower and install the plumbing trim. And pack a LOT of tools and junk.

It's my little brothers birthday Sunday. It would be nice to see him and treat him to dinner if he doesn't have to work.

Yes, w/o pulling the engine or tranny you aren't getting to that ring gear. And pulling the engine will get you to the pan, so that looks like the best approach.

Hope you get out of there tomorrow, have a safe trip, and get to celebrate your brother's birthday with him!