Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

You are going to be so impressed with the 302 when you get enough fuel to it that you won't want to swap! :nabble_smiley_wink:

Wow, I didn't know an EFI'd engine would run on 10 psi. At WOT it had to have been way lean as the duty cycle for the injectors with 40 psi is something like 60-70%.

I didn't think it'd run on 10psi either honestly. I retested today and 3 key primes i was only able to get 22 psi in the rail. I verified the regulator is working, but haven't swapped it in case it leaks, manifold vacuum plugged back into it it dropped right off to about 12psi and would increase with throttle. But I'm pretty sure overall its a weak pump as I cannot get pressure over 25psi. I've since left the regulator unplugged and been driving around with about 20psi as I figured thats much better than the 10 with the regulator plugged in until I can drop the tank and put a pump in it.

Its gotta be lean over all, it definitely misses under WOT and now I'm noticing it all over even idling sometimes.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are going to be so impressed with the 302 when you get enough fuel to it that you won't want to swap! :nabble_smiley_wink:

Wow, I didn't know an EFI'd engine would run on 10 psi. At WOT it had to have been way lean as the duty cycle for the injectors with 40 psi is something like 60-70%.

I didn't think it'd run on 10psi either honestly. I retested today and 3 key primes i was only able to get 22 psi in the rail. I verified the regulator is working, but haven't swapped it in case it leaks, manifold vacuum plugged back into it it dropped right off to about 12psi and would increase with throttle. But I'm pretty sure overall its a weak pump as I cannot get pressure over 25psi. I've since left the regulator unplugged and been driving around with about 20psi as I figured thats much better than the 10 with the regulator plugged in until I can drop the tank and put a pump in it.

Its gotta be lean over all, it definitely misses under WOT and now I'm noticing it all over even idling sometimes.

i have known them to run under 25 but not well at all. certainly, it will find the variance in the injectors especially if any are weak or partially clogged.10 is almost impressive.

Scored a bed storage box for $15 at the local goodwill, which prompted me to get and cut some pressure treated 2x4 load securing beams for my bed:

IMG_20220823_205323.jpg.f0f1e842d7677d720a87ca83de1f0c8e.jpg

IMG_20220823_205452.jpg.e7836bcbb3dce874ffc499cc9efd1d8d.jpg

Good news on the box: it was cheap and has no holes or major damage. Smaller ones retail at TSC for $125 a pop http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/money-mouth-face-23x23_orig.png. Unlike the plastic truck box I have sitting out back (and tried and failed to rehome at the last truck show), this isn't permanent and can be easily moved to give back bed space)

The bad news is the lid's warped and it has no keys... and it happens to be a key code for this make of box/lock that no locksmith happens to have a profile on to make replacements, nor are replacement locks available. Not that a lock would be that helpful, as locks on plastic boxes are like locking gas caps... they only keep out honest people. But as something to keep some luggage/goodies dry in the back, I'd say it's a winner?

Also, if you have this particular bedliner, the beams are a saw blade short of 5' long. Wish I knew that before I paid a bit extra for a 2x4x12 instead of a 2x4x10! http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/money-flying-23_orig.png

Scored a bed storage box for $15 at the local goodwill, which prompted me to get and cut some pressure treated 2x4 load securing beams for my bed:

Good news on the box: it was cheap and has no holes or major damage. Smaller ones retail at TSC for $125 a pop :nabble_money-mouth-face-23x23_orig:. Unlike the plastic truck box I have sitting out back (and tried and failed to rehome at the last truck show), this isn't permanent and can be easily moved to give back bed space)

The bad news is the lid's warped and it has no keys... and it happens to be a key code for this make of box/lock that no locksmith happens to have a profile on to make replacements, nor are replacement locks available. Not that a lock would be that helpful, as locks on plastic boxes are like locking gas caps... they only keep out honest people. But as something to keep some luggage/goodies dry in the back, I'd say it's a winner?

Also, if you have this particular bedliner, the beams are a saw blade short of 5' long. Wish I knew that before I paid a bit extra for a 2x4x12 instead of a 2x4x10! :nabble_money-flying-23_orig:

I'm glad the bed liner is working for you, and I think that box will come in really handy. :nabble_anim_claps:

i have known them to run under 25 but not well at all. certainly, it will find the variance in the injectors especially if any are weak or partially clogged.10 is almost impressive.

I've never seen a pump just totally give out and quit, usually in my experience they just progressively get weaker until it can't supply enough fuel. If I get a chance to take a video I will. Its crazy to me that it even runs at all. Couple revs and it seemed to hold pressure but can't verify under a real load.

I've never seen a pump just totally give out and quit, usually in my experience they just progressively get weaker until it can't supply enough fuel. If I get a chance to take a video I will. Its crazy to me that it even runs at all. Couple revs and it seemed to hold pressure but can't verify under a real load.

my flareside is currently having just that issue. i know what it takes to fix but im swamped . the front tank just quit like a switch while an hour out of nashville pulling my box trailer. it just quit! i coasted to the side and checked coil connections etc. then thought , try the rear tank. it fired right up. i drove an hour and switched back to the front just to see and it ran an hour and quit. i switched and carried on . i have been doing this for a few weeks now to get the tank empty. almost there. yes, i have other trucks im driving. but a new pump is going in.

my flareside is currently having just that issue. i know what it takes to fix but im swamped . the front tank just quit like a switch while an hour out of nashville pulling my box trailer. it just quit! i coasted to the side and checked coil connections etc. then thought , try the rear tank. it fired right up. i drove an hour and switched back to the front just to see and it ran an hour and quit. i switched and carried on . i have been doing this for a few weeks now to get the tank empty. almost there. yes, i have other trucks im driving. but a new pump is going in.

Changing my fuel filter helped a lot, but up top its still going lean so I'm going to swap regulators before I decide to drop the tank and put a pump in it.

Changing my fuel filter helped a lot, but up top its still going lean so I'm going to swap regulators before I decide to drop the tank and put a pump in it.

years ago i had an e150 with the 35 gal tank. on lunch break one day the van would not start and my assistant looked at me strait in the face and said, " that's funny, it was running when you shut it off". after a good long stare he said, " i got an idea" he crawled under the van and fist bumped the tank while i turned the key. it fired right up! i called my mechanic and said im bringing it in, fix it now. he did. that was when i ran a remodel company and had a backlog with no room for breakdowns. moral of the story. fail on me once and get replaced! i can live with squeaks and rattles but "no go" is a no go for me.