Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Today I tried and failed at brazing my aluminum radiator neck.

The issue is it's one of the 1985-1997 ones (all-aluminum aftermarket unit) and the rubber cap rotted out (installed in September, good old Chinese Quali-T :nabble_sarcastic-23_orig:).

My idea was to braze it up with some hobart low-temp brazing rods, which from what I'd seen in the past, is a decent product:

Well, it seemed to flow OK:

IMG_20220502_1751531.thumb.jpg.c1a3ac95a0231781dc47ea4ff958c734.jpg

(Yes, that's one of the old mangled grille bars being used as a heat shield!)

But, it seeped when I topped off the system. I ended up filing it down and putting another vacuum cap on it (which was beginning to dry rot out of the box, not the first time I've had one out of that box dry rot on me :nabble_smiley_oh_no:).

As for why it failed, my guess is likely my shoddy prep work. I didn't have a small enough pipe brush and I tried using a fine rat tail file to clean the oxides... probably wasn't good enough. Also, trying to do this in-situ was probably not helping matters.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today I tried and failed at brazing my aluminum radiator neck.

The issue is it's one of the 1985-1997 ones (all-aluminum aftermarket unit) and the rubber cap rotted out (installed in September, good old Chinese Quali-T :nabble_sarcastic-23_orig:).

My idea was to braze it up with some hobart low-temp brazing rods, which from what I'd seen in the past, is a decent product:

Well, it seemed to flow OK:

(Yes, that's one of the old mangled grille bars being used as a heat shield!)

But, it seeped when I topped off the system. I ended up filing it down and putting another vacuum cap on it (which was beginning to dry rot out of the box, not the first time I've had one out of that box dry rot on me :nabble_smiley_oh_no:).

As for why it failed, my guess is likely my shoddy prep work. I didn't have a small enough pipe brush and I tried using a fine rat tail file to clean the oxides... probably wasn't good enough. Also, trying to do this in-situ was probably not helping matters.

If you decide to tackle it again, I know myself and Jim have had good luck filling the tube with Water Weld. I think Gary tapped his.

If you decide to tackle it again, I know myself and Jim have had good luck filling the tube with Water Weld. I think Gary tapped his.

Yep, I tapped mine and used WaterWeld. Then I put a cap back on it. But last I checked there's no liquid on the back side.

When reminds me, Champion is sending me a new radiator and I'll need to do this again. :nabble_smiley_good:

Spent part of the day cleaning and detailing Blackie. Then I had to take him out for a ride which subsequently prompted a few photos at our local Fort Gibson Lake. Beautiful day here in northeastern Oklahoma.

Ok Jeff, bring on Big Brother.....:nabble_smiley_happy:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n118189/FGL1.jpghttps://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n118189/FGL3.jpeg

That is a mighty fine old Ford you have there.

Where did you get that "FORD Trucks" license plate on the front bumper?

Where did you get that "FORD Trucks" license plate on the front bumper?

Thanks Rick!

Check out this link for the plate: https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Specialty-Plates-tp108878.html

Recently I've been back on Ebay searching for small parts I need for my F350. I've picked up the correct throttle cable bracket and fan shroud for a 460, as well as the air cleaner inlet tube and some chrome knobs for my HVAC panel. Shout out to Gary for this great resource that makes finding part numbers even easier.

Anyways, I also picked up the 1980 only armrest trim pads that were only available on Ranger Lariat, Custom Cab (Medium Duty), and Explorer trim trucks. My truck has the Ranger XLT trim, but I really like these pads and think they should have been used on all the upper trim trucks from 1980-1986. I jumped on them as soon as I saw them because they don't come around often. I already started mock-up on my old door panels so I can transfer the measurements to my new panels.

fuhufj.jpg.979b1f1501a19308cd6a040035dc5965.jpg

I also had a set on my 1980 F150 with the Ranger Lariat trim, and this is what they looked like on that truck:

fhdfhduhf.jpg.bcb5571fda7f1e2a3ae0b697a6a91d31.jpg

And here's an image I lifted from Google showing them on an Explorer trim truck:

e8f57464-5569-4105-9c37-986d45e090d0.jpg.66e6c5ecc01e9c9f0b940a1bd6352034.jpg

Recently I've been back on Ebay searching for small parts I need for my F350. I've picked up the correct throttle cable bracket and fan shroud for a 460, as well as the air cleaner inlet tube and some chrome knobs for my HVAC panel. Shout out to Gary for this great resource that makes finding part numbers even easier.

Anyways, I also picked up the 1980 only armrest trim pads that were only available on Ranger Lariat, Custom Cab (Medium Duty), and Explorer trim trucks. My truck has the Ranger XLT trim, but I really like these pads and think they should have been used on all the upper trim trucks from 1980-1986. I jumped on them as soon as I saw them because they don't come around often. I already started mock-up on my old door panels so I can transfer the measurements to my new panels.

I also had a set on my 1980 F150 with the Ranger Lariat trim, and this is what they looked like on that truck:

And here's an image I lifted from Google showing them on an Explorer trim truck:

Those are cool, Shaun. They dress the truck up a lot, and I agree with you that they should have been used all the way through. :nabble_smiley_good:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n118320/fuhufj.jpg

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n118320/fhdfhduhf.jpg

Those are neat! They must have been VERY difficult to locate. I have never seen a set in person before. Are they hard plastic or rubber?

Shaun and his 1980-only arm trim pads and Rick and his 1985-only upper trim molding. It's cool that we have our own specialties. :nabble_smiley_good:

I agree with you and think they should have been available on all the upper trim level trucks, except I would say for the years 1980 - 1984.

I am partial to the swanky, full-length upholstered door panel inserts found on the top-of-the-line 1985/1986 Lariat models. I don't think those arm pads would work with this style:

door_panels.jpg.70685b15590feb5807a69e87c62c6256.jpg

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n118320/fuhufj.jpg

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n118320/fhdfhduhf.jpg

Those are neat! They must have been VERY difficult to locate. I have never seen a set in person before. Are they hard plastic or rubber?

Shaun and his 1980-only arm trim pads and Rick and his 1985-only upper trim molding. It's cool that we have our own specialties. :nabble_smiley_good:

I agree with you and think they should have been available on all the upper trim level trucks, except I would say for the years 1980 - 1984.

I am partial to the swanky, full-length upholstered door panel inserts found on the top-of-the-line 1985/1986 Lariat models. I don't think those arm pads would work with this style:

Thanks guys! I'm glad to be able to save some of these one year only parts. Who knew Bullnose trucks could have so many differences between the years?

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n118366/door_panels.jpg

The set on my F150 was found in my local junkyard. I hadn't seen another set available until I found these on Ebay. I think the Explorer versions are the hardest to find as I've never come across a set for sale, or in any junkyard. I've only seen them in pictures in for sale ads.

They are an aluminum base, with foam padding, and then a vinyl cover. They mount similar to the early aluminum woodgrain door trim; tabs are stamped out of the aluminum and the tabs fit through holes in the panel, to which you then bend the tabs to retain the trim panel to the door panel.

I can agree with 80-84 and then 85-86 having the cloth inserts. If I didn't find these, I was planning on picking up some 85-86 cloth inserts and reupholstering them with some form of a southwestern "Aztec" pattern.