Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I just looked on Ebay for a 351w bimetal valve. I think mine for the 351 is a Carter T-10. There is another one there. There is also a FoMoCo part on ebay but it's for a 302, not sure what the difference is, maybe a different temperature range.

I trouble shot my old one and tested the new one by putting my vacuum pump on on side and gage on the other. I also put a tube on the vent on top and the dunked it in hot water. It held the vacuum ( or slow leaked it) until it got warm. The dead one never released the vacuum.

Ok, great, thanks.

Grumpin,

Sorry, I was on the road and guessed when I answered you. The bimetal valve is a Carter TS-1320220131_125929.jpg.d865c5bd04f72993a21b5aa5bd83bf88.jpg

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Grumpin,

Sorry, I was on the road and guessed when I answered you. The bimetal valve is a Carter TS-13

Happen to know if that's the same part used on 1984-1986 300's? Looks to be the same part, and they use carter YFA carbs and a carter air cleaner.

Reason I ask is mine used to make an awful death rattle... the noise hasn't been back in over a year, but at the time I couldn't find a part number. If it comes back, time to swap it.

Happen to know if that's the same part used on 1984-1986 300's? Looks to be the same part, and they use carter YFA carbs and a carter air cleaner.

Reason I ask is mine used to make an awful death rattle... the noise hasn't been back in over a year, but at the time I couldn't find a part number. If it comes back, time to swap it.

I think, heavy on the think part, that it should work. It appears to me the difference in them is it’s temperature range.

I think, heavy on the think part, that it should work. It appears to me the difference in them is it’s temperature range.

There is a color code that indicates temp range. The 351 has a blob of blue with a drop of red on top of it. I think the 302 is just blue. It's easy to think someone was just sloppy and not realize it's coded. If you haven't put too much carb cleaner on yours over the years, it may still have the paint.

There is a color code that indicates temp range. The 351 has a blob of blue with a drop of red on top of it. I think the 302 is just blue. It's easy to think someone was just sloppy and not realize it's coded. If you haven't put too much carb cleaner on yours over the years, it may still have the paint.

My "new" Carter has the same Canadian manufacturing stamp as the one I replaces, which I assume was original.

No mark as far as I know. It's the original "made in Canada" part.

___

Here's one from last week that I meant to post but *gasp* forgot about: Started having bad cold idle issues. Assumed it was a choke issue... no dice. Two days later, in desperation (to see what the choke was actually doing) ran with the air cleaner off and low and behold, I hear the rushing noise of a massive vacuum leak! Turns out Bozo here didn't replace all the vacuum caps when the engine was apart like I thought I had, and just like it was when I first bought her, one of the larger old caps had dry rotted to nothing. And my assortment of caps had to be missing, murphy's law. At least I was able to find some leftover lawn mower fuel line in the same size and a cold rivet to plug the other end of the hose... and get more caps at the Auto Zone down the road from me (and this time keeping the extra caps in the truck!).

It's always the obvious things... :nabble_smiley_teeth:

No mark as far as I know. It's the original "made in Canada" part.

___

Here's one from last week that I meant to post but *gasp* forgot about: Started having bad cold idle issues. Assumed it was a choke issue... no dice. Two days later, in desperation (to see what the choke was actually doing) ran with the air cleaner off and low and behold, I hear the rushing noise of a massive vacuum leak! Turns out Bozo here didn't replace all the vacuum caps when the engine was apart like I thought I had, and just like it was when I first bought her, one of the larger old caps had dry rotted to nothing. And my assortment of caps had to be missing, murphy's law. At least I was able to find some leftover lawn mower fuel line in the same size and a cold rivet to plug the other end of the hose... and get more caps at the Auto Zone down the road from me (and this time keeping the extra caps in the truck!).

It's always the obvious things... :nabble_smiley_teeth:

Finally taking care of some exhaust leaks and doing some rust treatment all the way down

Been at it since Saturday also my first few days using a welder :P

Everything looked so nice I had to get a fresh cherry bomb too

CD165628-4ABA-473C-8B82-CF53D8F6198C.jpeg.8d6c9e1901851c0092e9d85a5cbf5c98.jpeg

Finally taking care of some exhaust leaks and doing some rust treatment all the way down

Been at it since Saturday also my first few days using a welder :P

Everything looked so nice I had to get a fresh cherry bomb too

That looks so good you're going to have to put mirrors on your garage floor so you can admire it!

That looks so good you're going to have to put mirrors on your garage floor so you can admire it!

Last monday, when it was 70F outside, I built new battery cables (00 Ga).

This monday, when it was 25F, I fired up the truck without having had the block heater plugged in.

May not sound like much, but starting a 6BT, with single battery, is not that easy in cooler temps.

I should have done the cables years ago.......