Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used some good hosing for it from the auto parts store.

I would have liked to find some real tubing for it but doesn’t seem like a highly demanded part

Many of the used tubing sets out there are mangled as well since it isn't unusual for the fittings to freeze on the tube and twist it when taking it off. Fortunately that system doesn't run much pressure and people have gotten by using hose clamps.

But some have created a flair on the end of the tube to give some extra holding power to the connection. And many run two hose clamps per connection, just to make sure it doesn't slip.

Many of the used tubing sets out there are mangled as well since it isn't unusual for the fittings to freeze on the tube and twist it when taking it off. Fortunately that system doesn't run much pressure and people have gotten by using hose clamps.

But some have created a flair on the end of the tube to give some extra holding power to the connection. And many run two hose clamps per connection, just to make sure it doesn't slip.

I was thinking a flair* would help hold the tubing on.

It seems like the right size ball end of something could work to taper one out with a little torch heat.

Flaring tools are pretty cheap. Here's the results of a Google search for "flare tool".

I made a heat stove today. This is the first winter Megiddo has been drivable and I have had a hard time driving it until the motor is good and warm. I replaced the 16" 2V air cleaner that had no snorkle with an 18" 4v cleaner I found in a junkyard. I cleaned up the new air cleaner, replaced the vacuum motor and got a "new" bimetal valve on ebay. Today I mounted my little heat stove on the headers with hose clamps and put on the rebuilt air cleaner. It looks like it all works as designed. I'm hoping this will make warm ups faster and easierHeat_Stove.jpg.a3739ea83b9a91ff113969f9d1c59139.jpgHeat_Riser.jpg.ec38e0a4afb66bf09940187a4dafe2c6.jpgNew_Air_Cleaner.jpg.81b3e85965a274315bdf6ac34293b67a.jpg

I made a heat stove today. This is the first winter Megiddo has been drivable and I have had a hard time driving it until the motor is good and warm. I replaced the 16" 2V air cleaner that had no snorkle with an 18" 4v cleaner I found in a junkyard. I cleaned up the new air cleaner, replaced the vacuum motor and got a "new" bimetal valve on ebay. Today I mounted my little heat stove on the headers with hose clamps and put on the rebuilt air cleaner. It looks like it all works as designed. I'm hoping this will make warm ups faster and easier

Well done! That should make a huge difference. :nabble_anim_claps:

Yes, well done. How did you find the bi metal valve? Part number?

I need to troubleshoot mine, not sure if it’s working.

I just looked on Ebay for a 351w bimetal valve. I think mine for the 351 is a Carter T-10. There is another one there. There is also a FoMoCo part on ebay but it's for a 302, not sure what the difference is, maybe a different temperature range.

I trouble shot my old one and tested the new one by putting my vacuum pump on on side and gage on the other. I also put a tube on the vent on top and the dunked it in hot water. It held the vacuum ( or slow leaked it) until it got warm. The dead one never released the vacuum.

I made a heat stove today. This is the first winter Megiddo has been drivable and I have had a hard time driving it until the motor is good and warm. I replaced the 16" 2V air cleaner that had no snorkle with an 18" 4v cleaner I found in a junkyard. I cleaned up the new air cleaner, replaced the vacuum motor and got a "new" bimetal valve on ebay. Today I mounted my little heat stove on the headers with hose clamps and put on the rebuilt air cleaner. It looks like it all works as designed. I'm hoping this will make warm ups faster and easier

Wow that is a nice solution for slow warmups. I’ve been gettingdown on the cold ground and slow cooking the oil pan with a blow torch also creating a nice heat pocket in the engine bay.

I found some rodent damage to a fuel line and some vacuum lines yesterday. My fast idle is slowly getting better with every small leak I fix.

I have lots of “survivor” style updates here lately

Also thanks gary those taper tools are cheap, I checked my work and I have a little leak on the lower trans cooler line. That taper tool will be a useful addition to my harbor freight collection haha

3ED791CF-407F-4759-8D2C-53D994AEB6C4.thumb.jpeg.10ef532f5f9b9eca208814445cd0b282.jpeg

I just looked on Ebay for a 351w bimetal valve. I think mine for the 351 is a Carter T-10. There is another one there. There is also a FoMoCo part on ebay but it's for a 302, not sure what the difference is, maybe a different temperature range.

I trouble shot my old one and tested the new one by putting my vacuum pump on on side and gage on the other. I also put a tube on the vent on top and the dunked it in hot water. It held the vacuum ( or slow leaked it) until it got warm. The dead one never released the vacuum.

Ok, great, thanks.