Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I will look at that. I was thinking I would just need to cut out the bad area and weld in a new floor pan. If it is too thin for that, then your idea of gluing a new one in might be my option. I saw where there was a TAB on Steve83s page about repairing those with a patch panel.

As for the hole in the cowl, I was going to finish taking out the dash and attempt to reinforce it and seal it from below and then put more sealant on top in the cowl area. 🤷🏻 So much to learn on this stuff.

William

I've not cut out a piece and welded one in. But I've read about it, and everything I've read said that you need to overlap the new panel on top of the old panel as it is hard to butt-weld a panel into place, and you are very likely to have a leak.

So when I put a panel in the floor of Dad's truck I overlapped the panel, used SEM adhesive, and pop rivets to hold it in place while the SEM set up. That ensured that I had a leak-proof joint. You can read up on how I did it here: https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Dad-s-Truck-Build-tp7104p27400.html.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've not cut out a piece and welded one in. But I've read about it, and everything I've read said that you need to overlap the new panel on top of the old panel as it is hard to butt-weld a panel into place, and you are very likely to have a leak.

So when I put a panel in the floor of Dad's truck I overlapped the panel, used SEM adhesive, and pop rivets to hold it in place while the SEM set up. That ensured that I had a leak-proof joint. You can read up on how I did it here: https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Dad-s-Truck-Build-tp7104p27400.html.

Thank you, Gary. I will look at that as it might be a better option for my needs.

Thank you, Gary. I will look at that as it might be a better option for my needs.

Welcome. If the Tabco panel is a good fit you could clean your floor up, prime it, and just place a portion of the Tabco panel over yours. Use something like the SEM adhesive I used, ensuring the holes in your floor are sealed with it, and a few pop rivets to hold the panel tightly in place until the adhesive sets up. That way it would be not only sealed but very strong and have no chance of leaks.

Welcome. If the Tabco panel is a good fit you could clean your floor up, prime it, and just place a portion of the Tabco panel over yours. Use something like the SEM adhesive I used, ensuring the holes in your floor are sealed with it, and a few pop rivets to hold the panel tightly in place until the adhesive sets up. That way it would be not only sealed but very strong and have no chance of leaks.

I read through that thread, and the TSB that outlines the similar process that you did on your truck. It looks like a valid option for me. I will just need to resource the parts and supplies.

This is the TSB that I am referring to:

79B4CCFD-B4DC-440E-9FC7-4ECCE6D3A787.png.75a72bc26f95c7610eda4c6e9d80fd3a.png

William

I read through that thread, and the TSB that outlines the similar process that you did on your truck. It looks like a valid option for me. I will just need to resource the parts and supplies.

This is the TSB that I am referring to:

William

Interesting. Hadn't seen that TSB, although I surely have it in my TSB books. Wish my scanner was working as I'd go find it and put it on the site.

Interesting. Hadn't seen that TSB, although I surely have it in my TSB books. Wish my scanner was working as I'd go find it and put it on the site.

I tried to look for it here and couldn’t find it. The supermotors website can be challenging on these mobile devices. I plan to try to get it printed off to read it easier. However, it seems almost identical to your description in the thread you linked.

I would have thought it to be a workaround that we often do to get things done. I find it interesting that it was in a TSB.

I really appreciate your input as it confirms that other options are appropriate.

William

I tried to look for it here and couldn’t find it. The supermotors website can be challenging on these mobile devices. I plan to try to get it printed off to read it easier. However, it seems almost identical to your description in the thread you linked.

I would have thought it to be a workaround that we often do to get things done. I find it interesting that it was in a TSB.

I really appreciate your input as it confirms that other options are appropriate.

William

I have all of the TSB's - in print format. But don't have them all scanned so they aren't all on the site.

Anyway, glad I could help.

I have all of the TSB's - in print format. But don't have them all scanned so they aren't all on the site.

Anyway, glad I could help.

Today, to get my F150 started, I had to hit the starter with a hammer.

Gotta love these old trucks! 😆

I changed out my alternator today.

When I went to leave this morning the charge light was flickering.

It rattles if I shake it.

(Glad I had a new one! :nabble_smiley_whistling:)

New starter in and Eunice is running like a champ again. Ready to do a wood run later in the week!