Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Have you ever tried running the winch line over a tire? You put the tire upright, close to the bush so it acts like a pulley. as the line pulls in the tire rolls toward the vehicle, but the point is that you get more of an upward pull on the bush.

I haven't tried it myself, and don't know that I will. But it seems to work well for some

I used the "over the spare" technique to pull some Taxus that were as big as my calf last year.

It certainly worked better than a horizontal pull. But took a few yanks with the chain hooked to my receiver.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jim, sorry for your problems. You sure it's not electronic ignition, possibly the pickup coil? What about the coil, have you checked that?

I do think I've resolved the stumbling problem by cleaning the primary side of the carburetor.

I didn't find any debris or corrosion. (in fact one of the cleanest bowls I've had to dig in to)

This is a huge relief.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and advice! :nabble_anim_handshake:

I do think I've resolved the stumbling problem by cleaning the primary side of the carburetor.

I didn't find any debris or corrosion. (in fact one of the cleanest bowls I've had to dig in to)

This is a huge relief.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and advice! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Glad you got it worked out, Jim. But no smoking gun?

Glad you got it worked out, Jim. But no smoking gun?

I found nothing!

I unscrewed both jets and looked through them before hitting anything with carb cleaner.

I was working on fresh paper towels.

I saw no debris on the towel after blasting carb cleaner through both passages.

Granted, that 72 jet is big enough to pass a small child. But there was nothing there...

So, I've done about 60 miles since then and my new fuel filter should be in tomorrow. 🤞

I found nothing!

I unscrewed both jets and looked through them before hitting anything with carb cleaner.

I was working on fresh paper towels.

I saw no debris on the towel after blasting carb cleaner through both passages.

Granted, that 72 jet is big enough to pass a small child. But there was nothing there...

So, I've done about 60 miles since then and my new fuel filter should be in tomorrow. 🤞

I always hate it when I find nothing but it works. I'm afraid it'll come back again. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I always hate it when I find nothing but it works. I'm afraid it'll come back again. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Got a new exhaust put on, absolutely hate it lol. I've never liked running exhaust all the way out the back, it never sounds good and it's just so much pipe. With the big traction bars in the way I had to cut my old 3.5" Borla system out that exited in front of the rear wheel on the passenger side and went with dual 2.5" all the way back with Patriot mufflers. It sounds okay except it has that we fart/clap sound to it at part throttle. I'm thinking about adding in a jegs flowmaster knockoff or something, or just biting the bullet and going back to Borla which has sounded good on everything I've run.

Got a new exhaust put on, absolutely hate it lol. I've never liked running exhaust all the way out the back, it never sounds good and it's just so much pipe. With the big traction bars in the way I had to cut my old 3.5" Borla system out that exited in front of the rear wheel on the passenger side and went with dual 2.5" all the way back with Patriot mufflers. It sounds okay except it has that we fart/clap sound to it at part throttle. I'm thinking about adding in a jegs flowmaster knockoff or something, or just biting the bullet and going back to Borla which has sounded good on everything I've run.

The left turn signal wasn't working on my trailer. I replaced the bulb, checked it hooked to my Bronco and it worked. Then I hooked it to my truck and it didn't.

So I pulled the bulb and used a voltmeter to check power in the socket. It had power. Tried it on the Bronco again. Still worked.

So I checked the receptacle on the back of the truck with the voltmeter. I was using the four-way flashers and the voltmeter was jumping between 0 and ~ 8 volts, same as it did at the socket in the trailer light. So I checked the right turn terminal in the receptacle. It was jumping between 0 and ~12 volts :nabble_anim_confused:

It was dark by now, and temps still in the upper 80s, but I crawled under, not really expecting to see anything. But I was surprised! The yellow wire going into the receptacle was broken all the way through! The insulation was still intact on one side, so it was holding the broken ends of the wires together enough to make the voltmeter read something, but not enough to light a bulb!

So I opened up the receptacle, expecting to find a corroded mess, but was surprised there too. The genuine Ford receptacle (so likely original equipment) was incredibly clean inside! I loosened the screw, pulled the broken wire out, pushed the other end through and screwed it into the terminal. Now the trailer lights work on both vehicles!

(I don't know what cut the wire. It's not pinched at all. Space is pretty tight between the receptacle and the cross bar of the receiver hitch. Maybe a stick got jammed up there at some point???)

The left turn signal wasn't working on my trailer. I replaced the bulb, checked it hooked to my Bronco and it worked. Then I hooked it to my truck and it didn't.

So I pulled the bulb and used a voltmeter to check power in the socket. It had power. Tried it on the Bronco again. Still worked.

So I checked the receptacle on the back of the truck with the voltmeter. I was using the four-way flashers and the voltmeter was jumping between 0 and ~ 8 volts, same as it did at the socket in the trailer light. So I checked the right turn terminal in the receptacle. It was jumping between 0 and ~12 volts :nabble_anim_confused:

It was dark by now, and temps still in the upper 80s, but I crawled under, not really expecting to see anything. But I was surprised! The yellow wire going into the receptacle was broken all the way through! The insulation was still intact on one side, so it was holding the broken ends of the wires together enough to make the voltmeter read something, but not enough to light a bulb!

So I opened up the receptacle, expecting to find a corroded mess, but was surprised there too. The genuine Ford receptacle (so likely original equipment) was incredibly clean inside! I loosened the screw, pulled the broken wire out, pushed the other end through and screwed it into the terminal. Now the trailer lights work on both vehicles!

(I don't know what cut the wire. It's not pinched at all. Space is pretty tight between the receptacle and the cross bar of the receiver hitch. Maybe a stick got jammed up there at some point???)

Glad it was an easy fix, once you actually found it! :nabble_anim_claps:

Glad it was an easy fix, once you actually found it! :nabble_anim_claps:

Me too. And I'm actually on a bit of a roll with that. The trailer wiring was last night. Tonight I looked at why my walk-behind mower's transmission was locked up. Turned out to be a piece of a stick wedged between the pulley and the guard! Took about an hour to get it apart to find and remove the stick and then put it back together. But I was expecting to find stuff shredded inside the transmission.

I should probably try some other projects before my luck runs out!

I'm also glad that you were able to get your truck back on the road!

Me too. And I'm actually on a bit of a roll with that. The trailer wiring was last night. Tonight I looked at why my walk-behind mower's transmission was locked up. Turned out to be a piece of a stick wedged between the pulley and the guard! Took about an hour to get it apart to find and remove the stick and then put it back together. But I was expecting to find stuff shredded inside the transmission.

I should probably try some other projects before my luck runs out!

I'm also glad that you were able to get your truck back on the road!

Thanks Bob!

Yes, sometimes how things happen is still a mystery, even once you identify the issue.

I hope your good luck continues.

You certainly deserve to make the best of it. 👍