Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did for a few minutes and didn't see anything but haven't had time to sit down and really dig.

I don't think there's anything in the brick/aero era.

IIRC there is a '96, but that is the end of era for the f-150's.

Imo, having your own EVTM is probably the best $15-20 you can ever spend on fleabay.

I don't think there's anything in the brick/aero era.

IIRC there is a '96, but that is the end of era for the f-150's.

Imo, having your own EVTM is probably the best $15-20 you can ever spend on fleabay.

A couple somewhat random things I've done this week not worth their own thread:

1. I added a second cigarette lighter outlet for dedicated phone/laptop charger use. It's wired to the same dedicated power/ground wiring (direct to the battery ground and stater relay post via dedicated fuse) used by the head unit and CB:

IMG_20210812_202125.thumb.jpg.4e1681b33cb66dfb3a3bb3d4de8b7193.jpg

It's riveted to the dash plastic to ensure good isolation. This eliminated alternator whine when listening to music on my phone (head unit line-in) with the charger connected. The body ground on this thing is pretty noisy...

2. Restored the silver embosses on my rosewood paneling with a silver sharpie:

IMG_20210813_195534.jpg.4382331599900d0dcc45ffe837eaf752.jpg

IMG_20210813_195623.jpg.31251872efd08d1eed6316e493babc26.jpg

IMG_20210813_195629.thumb.jpg.df6847fc380493646d8226a004c89241.jpg

As good as the chrome in the how-to guide on the site? No. But my rosewood is a somewhat flaked mess... so not worth a lot of effort. We'll see how well it holds up... I found the sharpie in a junk box, and figured it was worth a try!

1. I added a second cigarette lighter outlet for dedicated phone/laptop charger use. It's wired to the same dedicated power/ground wiring (direct to the battery ground and stater relay post via dedicated fuse) used by the head unit and CB:

It's riveted to the dash plastic to ensure good isolation. This eliminated alternator whine when listening to music on my phone (head unit line-in) with the charger connected. The body ground on this thing is pretty noisy...

As good as the chrome in the how-to guide on the site? No. But my rosewood is a somewhat flaked mess... so not worth a lot of effort. We'll see how well it holds up... I found the sharpie in a junk box, and figured it was worth a try!

Looks good, Larry. Amazing how much difference a good power source and ground can make. And the silver bead is great. I need to do that to mine. :nabble_smiley_good:

Sharpie looks good. It may rub off somewhat easily. But it's cheap enough to do again when it needs it.

Sharpie looks good. It may rub off somewhat easily. But it's cheap enough to do again when it needs it.

Well I still cannot get this truck to start.

Replaced my starter cables and solenoid with my big 2/0 cables and glad I did since a starter bolt fell out, replaced the entire harness to the alternator that melted from my parts truck, replaced the coil, TFI module and distributor and now have no spark at all.

I'm at a loss and honestly I am ready to rip this entire fuel injection system out and drop in a my carbed 351w with a 6AL ignition and call it a day.

I'm extremely aggravated.

Well I still cannot get this truck to start.

Replaced my starter cables and solenoid with my big 2/0 cables and glad I did since a starter bolt fell out, replaced the entire harness to the alternator that melted from my parts truck, replaced the coil, TFI module and distributor and now have no spark at all.

I'm at a loss and honestly I am ready to rip this entire fuel injection system out and drop in a my carbed 351w with a 6AL ignition and call it a day.

I'm extremely aggravated.

I would be very aggravated.

A bad ground comes to mind, and I’m sorry if you’ve said you checked them. Is there a ground coming off the distributor?

Edit: or is the ground through the distributor? The base corroded?

A bad ground comes to mind, and I’m sorry if you’ve said you checked them. Is there a ground coming off the distributor?

I am going to swap the TFI again. I wouldnt think another module would be bad but the other one I had at least did something.

I repaired one ground and replaced 2 more and added another one in. Wiring appears to be fine just from glancing...no one has been in it.

The whole reason I bought the truck was because it was a runner. I'm getting a parts list together, I have most of what I need to do a swap. I have myself and a few other friends and Ford techs that worked on these when they were new absolutely baffled. Only me right?? Haha.

I'm fairly certain I'm going to completely gut this thing and go back 15 years in technology to when I know I can get it to run reliably.

I am going to swap the TFI again. I wouldnt think another module would be bad but the other one I had at least did something.

I repaired one ground and replaced 2 more and added another one in. Wiring appears to be fine just from glancing...no one has been in it.

The whole reason I bought the truck was because it was a runner. I'm getting a parts list together, I have most of what I need to do a swap. I have myself and a few other friends and Ford techs that worked on these when they were new absolutely baffled. Only me right?? Haha.

I'm fairly certain I'm going to completely gut this thing and go back 15 years in technology to when I know I can get it to run reliably.

Truly feel your frustration….. wishing you the best to get it sorted.