Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Ok, Bill, I'll pull the HVAC system. But I really don't want to change anything. You are saying I'll have to change the underhood part due to changing the compressor? Bummer! Is it that the lines need to be longer or have different fittings?

On the column, Big Blue already has a tilt column, and I have one for Dad's truck as well. But, I'll pull this one anyway.

Thanks.

I was thinking maybe for Dad's inside, Big Blue, From what I remember the 90 was enough different from the 1986 that it wasn't workable without changing the under hood portion. 1986 used all screw together joints and 1990 is springlock fittings.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was thinking maybe for Dad's inside, Big Blue, From what I remember the 90 was enough different from the 1986 that it wasn't workable without changing the under hood portion. 1986 used all screw together joints and 1990 is springlock fittings.

I'll pull it and we will see.

But, can you check something out for me? In my Upgrades For Big Blue whiteboard I've just added a post on what inputs/outputs/sensors I think are needed for a MAF setup. The post is here, so could you see what I'm missing?

I arrived at this by using a document Ray sent me that has the EEC-V pinout, wire colors, and uses. (I know you sent me one but I can't find it. Would you, please, send it again?) I converted that to a spreadsheet and went through it pin by pin and compared to the 7.5:L California pages in your 1996 EVTM. (Extremely helpful. So much so that I think I'm going to buy one.) From that I think I've determined what connections I need to use, and then I simplified it to sensors, sorta, on the whiteboard.

But, isn't there a MAP sensor for an EEC-V system?

I'll pull it and we will see.

But, can you check something out for me? In my Upgrades For Big Blue whiteboard I've just added a post on what inputs/outputs/sensors I think are needed for a MAF setup. The post is here, so could you see what I'm missing?

I arrived at this by using a document Ray sent me that has the EEC-V pinout, wire colors, and uses. (I know you sent me one but I can't find it. Would you, please, send it again?) I converted that to a spreadsheet and went through it pin by pin and compared to the 7.5:L California pages in your 1996 EVTM. (Extremely helpful. So much so that I think I'm going to buy one.) From that I think I've determined what connections I need to use, and then I simplified it to sensors, sorta, on the whiteboard.

But, isn't there a MAP sensor for an EEC-V system?

Ok, here is your sensor list:

MIL: I'll use the existing "Emissions" light above the instruments Yes

Data Link: This is the OBD-II connector Add

Low Range: I'll feed the transfer case switch output to the computer Yes

Ignition: The TFI module will be connected Mount on rear of L front fender

VSS: The output of the sensor on the speedo output of the t-case will go to the computer Yes

O2 Sensors: All three heated oxygen sensors will be used, and each has 4 wires No, rear is turned off

MAF: The mass air flow sensor will be used Yes

ECT: Engine Coolant Temp Yes

IAT: Inlet Air Temp In air filter preferably

FPM: Fuel Pump Monitor so the computer knows the relay is closed Yes

A/C Clutch: Tells the computer there's a load on the engine Actually, A/C clutch is controlled by EEC

CKP: Crankshaft Position Sensor - which is in the distributor Along with CMP needed for sequential system

SPOUT: Let's you set the timing by disabling the computer-controlled advance?

Fuel Injectors 1-8 Yes

IAC: Idle Air Control Same as SD

TPS: Throttle Position Sensor Same as SD

BOO: Brake On/Off switch Yes

MAP is not used MAF tells EEC the airflow.

Ok, here is your sensor list:

MIL: I'll use the existing "Emissions" light above the instruments Yes

Data Link: This is the OBD-II connector Add

Low Range: I'll feed the transfer case switch output to the computer Yes

Ignition: The TFI module will be connected Mount on rear of L front fender

VSS: The output of the sensor on the speedo output of the t-case will go to the computer Yes

O2 Sensors: All three heated oxygen sensors will be used, and each has 4 wires No, rear is turned off

MAF: The mass air flow sensor will be used Yes

ECT: Engine Coolant Temp Yes

IAT: Inlet Air Temp In air filter preferably

FPM: Fuel Pump Monitor so the computer knows the relay is closed Yes

A/C Clutch: Tells the computer there's a load on the engine Actually, A/C clutch is controlled by EEC

CKP: Crankshaft Position Sensor - which is in the distributor Along with CMP needed for sequential system

SPOUT: Let's you set the timing by disabling the computer-controlled advance?

Fuel Injectors 1-8 Yes

IAC: Idle Air Control Same as SD

TPS: Throttle Position Sensor Same as SD

BOO: Brake On/Off switch Yes

MAP is not used MAF tells EEC the airflow.

Ok, thanks. But, a couple of questions.

Data Link: You said "add", but won't it normally be there? Maybe not on the CA system, but...

O2 Sensors: Your EVTM (mine is now on order as I can't imagine doing this w/o one) shows three of them for the CA 7.5L. #'s 11, 12, & 21. So, what am I missing?

A/C Clutch: Don't think I want to do it that way as I don't want to change Big Blue's HVAC system. I guess I'll just leave that connection off.

SPOUT: You didn't comment.

Given that, it looks possible. I was looking at the harnii today and there were sooooo many wires it was seriously off-putting. So, I spent the evening mapping out what really is needed and it doesn't look quite so daunting now.

And, I guess when the time comes I will then start with the harness, probably at the PDC, and remove wires not associated with the functions above. Remove the pins from the connectors and tease the wires out of the bundles to pare things down to the necessities. And, that will remove a bunch of wires as well as some connectors. Right?

Ok, thanks. But, a couple of questions.

Data Link: You said "add", but won't it normally be there? Maybe not on the CA system, but...

O2 Sensors: Your EVTM (mine is now on order as I can't imagine doing this w/o one) shows three of them for the CA 7.5L. #'s 11, 12, & 21. So, what am I missing?

A/C Clutch: Don't think I want to do it that way as I don't want to change Big Blue's HVAC system. I guess I'll just leave that connection off.

SPOUT: You didn't comment.

Given that, it looks possible. I was looking at the harnii today and there were sooooo many wires it was seriously off-putting. So, I spent the evening mapping out what really is needed and it doesn't look quite so daunting now.

And, I guess when the time comes I will then start with the harness, probably at the PDC, and remove wires not associated with the functions above. Remove the pins from the connectors and tease the wires out of the bundles to pare things down to the necessities. And, that will remove a bunch of wires as well as some connectors. Right?

Gary, SPOUT is in the front harness near the left side hood hinge, it electrically is in the wire from EEC to ICM. HO2S 21 is a catalyst efficiency monitor, that, misfire, and catalyst over temp are disabled on Darth. EGR is set to "sonic" as the required EGR tube with pressure taps and orifice is NLA from any source, canister purge is set to VMV as I found one. If it is set to purge valve then it wants a tank pressure input.

On the A/C compressor, the wiring for the clutch is in the engine side of the harness and the pressure switch just tells the EEC to turn it on and adjusts the idle accordingly.

Data link is the OBD-II port, wasn't in trucks in any fashion other than Powerstroke models until 1996.

What wiring information were you looking for that I sent?

Gary, SPOUT is in the front harness near the left side hood hinge, it electrically is in the wire from EEC to ICM. HO2S 21 is a catalyst efficiency monitor, that, misfire, and catalyst over temp are disabled on Darth. EGR is set to "sonic" as the required EGR tube with pressure taps and orifice is NLA from any source, canister purge is set to VMV as I found one. If it is set to purge valve then it wants a tank pressure input.

On the A/C compressor, the wiring for the clutch is in the engine side of the harness and the pressure switch just tells the EEC to turn it on and adjusts the idle accordingly.

Data link is the OBD-II port, wasn't in trucks in any fashion other than Powerstroke models until 1996.

What wiring information were you looking for that I sent?

But SPOUT is still used to set initial timing and is, therefore, needed - right?

HO2S 21 is not needed, and would be a place for me to put my wideband sensor?

EGR: Huck's tube looks good, but I don't want to run EGR, so I can disable it. Sonic disables it or does what?

Canister Purge: What is VMV? You are speaking a language that is not yet understood by me.

A/C Clutch: Ok, I'll just continue with the current system. I could feed the output of the pressure switch to the ECU though, and even though I don't use the ECU's output to control the clutch, it should still up the idle speed.

Data Link: Yes, I understand it wasn't there until '96, but all of this assumes that either the unicorn is available in CA or I use another harness to go MAF. If I go SD then there's a whole 'nother list.

As for wiring info, I thought you sent me a spreadsheet or Word doc that had the pinouts for either SD (60 pins) or MAF (104 pins). I know that Ray did and found his, but can't find yours. Am I dreaming?

But SPOUT is still used to set initial timing and is, therefore, needed - right?

HO2S 21 is not needed, and would be a place for me to put my wideband sensor?

EGR: Huck's tube looks good, but I don't want to run EGR, so I can disable it. Sonic disables it or does what?

Canister Purge: What is VMV? You are speaking a language that is not yet understood by me.

A/C Clutch: Ok, I'll just continue with the current system. I could feed the output of the pressure switch to the ECU though, and even though I don't use the ECU's output to control the clutch, it should still up the idle speed.

Data Link: Yes, I understand it wasn't there until '96, but all of this assumes that either the unicorn is available in CA or I use another harness to go MAF. If I go SD then there's a whole 'nother list.

As for wiring info, I thought you sent me a spreadsheet or Word doc that had the pinouts for either SD (60 pins) or MAF (104 pins). I know that Ray did and found his, but can't find yours. Am I dreaming?

Gary, I will have to look for it later, we are going up into Maryland for dog grooming and shopping.

Gary, I will have to look for it later, we are going up into Maryland for dog grooming and shopping.

Must be the Dog Days of Winter. We are headed to MO to pick up a new puppy for our daughter in Nicaragua. She says the puppy is for the grandtwins, but we can tell it is really for her and they'll get to play with it.

However, we get to keep it a week before it heads south with the other grandparents. So, life is going to change here for a bit.

Must be the Dog Days of Winter. We are headed to MO to pick up a new puppy for our daughter in Nicaragua. She says the puppy is for the grandtwins, but we can tell it is really for her and they'll get to play with it.

However, we get to keep it a week before it heads south with the other grandparents. So, life is going to change here for a bit.

I finally got around to replacing the power steering pump, I got a new (rebuild) one about a month ago, before the electric problem showed up. nice and quite now. but the black hole has showed up again, cannot find the power steering cap. lost somewhere between the truck and the work bench, maybe 5 feet apart it's probably setting there in plain sight laughing at me.

But as always there is something else showing up, and this time is a bad center tie rod end. so back to the store.

Gary, what breed of puppy are you getting? We got a German Sheppard, rescued, She looks to be about 2 years old, on the small size, and her ears don't stand up all the time, so I'm thinking there something else mixed in. But who cares she has good manners and the wife loves her.

David

I finally got around to replacing the power steering pump, I got a new (rebuild) one about a month ago, before the electric problem showed up. nice and quite now. but the black hole has showed up again, cannot find the power steering cap. lost somewhere between the truck and the work bench, maybe 5 feet apart it's probably setting there in plain sight laughing at me.

But as always there is something else showing up, and this time is a bad center tie rod end. so back to the store.

Gary, what breed of puppy are you getting? We got a German Sheppard, rescued, She looks to be about 2 years old, on the small size, and her ears don't stand up all the time, so I'm thinking there something else mixed in. But who cares she has good manners and the wife loves her.

David

Yes, these trucks are like onions. We just keep peeling and crying. But, I like onion rings.

As for the puppy, it is a Whoodle, which is a Wheaton Terrier/Poodle mix. Here's my wife, Janey, holding it as we picked it up:

Janey_and_Dimples.thumb.jpg.c7ae37dbe3c92d2c9bfc3d261155da5e.jpg