Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

.... As it turned out, the replacement isn't the right one. But the one I had bolted up, although Up is down and Down is up. However, he was happy so we left it that way....

It seems like half the time I replace a power window motor I get that. I end up pulling the wires out of the connector on the motor and reversing them.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I replaced my cap and rotor, and spark didn't seem to improve, but we do have spark and compression, and I checked the pressure from the rail. It sprayed but I didn't have a gauge near me to check...even with ether it still would not pop off. I did check the inertia switch, it is good and fuel pump is priming.

I replaced a couple ground wires and it turns over much better but still not happy or comfortable with it, won't be till I get my 2/0 cables from my old truck on it hoping a good ground would help. Also checked fuses. Also, every cylinder is evenly flooding...it's not one just one cylinder like one injector hanging.

Still no fire.

What on earth other than maybe the MAP, pump (need to verify 50psi), or burned up ECM is keeping this thing from running??

Angelo, if it's not firing of course the cylinders are going to be wet.

I don't know what to say about spark.

Im sure you've checked ignition timing, and if the damper hasn't slipped you shouldn't have a problem there.

(Edit: what year is this truck?)

One quick and dirty thing that I would try is to pull the SPOUT and see if it will catch without the computer trying to advance the timing.

The Push Start TFI modules will work all on their own.

Timing's locked and it won't drive well, but it might get the engine to catch, and if it does you know the fault lies in the ECM.

.... As it turned out, the replacement isn't the right one. But the one I had bolted up, although Up is down and Down is up. However, he was happy so we left it that way....

It seems like half the time I replace a power window motor I get that. I end up pulling the wires out of the connector on the motor and reversing them.

Yes, I should have reversed the wires in the motor's connector. Literally was just kicking myself for not having done that. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Im sure you've checked ignition timing, and if the damper hasn't slipped you shouldn't have a problem there.

One quick and dirty thing that I would try is to pull the SPOUT and see if it will catch without the computer trying to advance the timing.

Timing's locked and it won't drive well, but it might get the engine to catch, and if it does you know the fault lies in the ECM.

I have tried to dry the plugs and turn it over to spray extra fuel out, but I'm going to try that again. I actually have not checked the ignition timing but I'm pretty sure it's not off since when it dies run it runs absolutely beautiful but it wouldnt hurt to check it.

The truck is a 91 4.9 w/ E4OD. It's been running great. This only just recently became an issue. It developed a random slight miss under load then was fine, now will not start at all. My 95 was great, never ever had an issue in 430k miles of service until the pump got so weak it wouldn't start,, so this is stumping me.

I will try pulling the SPOUT and see what happens. I almost wonder if the injectors and ignition aren't in time together. This has a Gray module if it matters, not black.

I was starting to wonder of the pump is weak since it was having a stumbling issue when I would whack the throttle with the regulator hooked up, so when it was disconnected it would have more pressure and go away. Something I need to check.

Thanks for the help, I'll report back in a day or 2.

I have tried to dry the plugs and turn it over to spray extra fuel out, but I'm going to try that again. I actually have not checked the ignition timing but I'm pretty sure it's not off since when it dies run it runs absolutely beautiful but it wouldnt hurt to check it.

The truck is a 91 4.9 w/ E4OD. It's been running great. This only just recently became an issue. It developed a random slight miss under load then was fine, now will not start at all. My 95 was great, never ever had an issue in 430k miles of service until the pump got so weak it wouldn't start,, so this is stumping me.

I will try pulling the SPOUT and see what happens. I almost wonder if the injectors and ignition aren't in time together. This has a Gray module if it matters, not black.

I was starting to wonder of the pump is weak since it was having a stumbling issue when I would whack the throttle with the regulator hooked up, so when it was disconnected it would have more pressure and go away. Something I need to check.

Thanks for the help, I'll report back in a day or 2.

Yep, that's why I asked which one of the trucks listed in your sig.

The grey modules are PS while the black ones are CCD, and the '95 would have the black one I think.

SD is a bank fired system. I don't know how much it would matter if the injector opening were a little off time as long as the pulse width were delivering the correct amount of fuel.

But I'm not as familiar with the 4.9 as the Windsors.

Have you considered swapping coils with one of your other trucks?

Yes, I should have reversed the wires in the motor's connector. Literally was just kicking myself for not having done that. :nabble_smiley_cry:

The motor I got for the rear window in my Bronco was backwards, I decided to live with, but then I couldn’t.

Pain in the rear, but I got it. Irks my turtle that they come that way.

The grey modules are PS while the black ones are CCD, and the '95 would have the black one I think.

SD is a bank fired system. I don't know how much it would matter if the injector opening were a little off time as long as the pulse width were delivering the correct amount of fuel.

Ah ok that makes sense. My 95 was a black one if I remember right. I'll look into it. Im going to check the map for correct operation and check fuel pressure and then see what happens before I pull the SPOUT connector.

I figured even being batch fire if one was leaking down you'd notice that more unless the timing was off or the injectors were not spraying hard. The 4.9 runs mostly the same as the 8s just more fuel pressure.

I haven't swapped coils but I think the distributor is a bit of an issue. Nice blue spark out of the coil but still a bit weak out of the distributor, but much better with a new cap now that the contacts aren't burnt up.

Ah ok that makes sense. My 95 was a black one if I remember right. I'll look into it. Im going to check the map for correct operation and check fuel pressure and then see what happens before I pull the SPOUT connector.

I figured even being batch fire if one was leaking down you'd notice that more unless the timing was off or the injectors were not spraying hard. The 4.9 runs mostly the same as the 8s just more fuel pressure.

I haven't swapped coils but I think the distributor is a bit of an issue. Nice blue spark out of the coil but still a bit weak out of the distributor, but much better with a new cap now that the contacts aren't burnt up.

I'm starting to scratch my head.

Fuel pressure regulator has been changed along with new vacuum hose. Fuel pressure good, pump holds prime, pump does not stay on longer than time allowed. New cap, rotor, plugs and wires. Tested push start TFI and coil, has spark at plug, PIP is good. Spark is a bit orange/ faint blue at plug.. Has compression on every cylinder. Every plug loads up with fuel, evenly across every cylinder, can smell it out of the exhaust. Base timing is good. New engine coolant temp sensor. Will not fire on ether even after manually shutting off the injectors, cleaning the cylinders out of fuel and drying the plugs. Basically drove it to where its parked, shut it off, went out the next day, no fire. Did find a broken 02 sensor wires but that will not cause a no start. No blown fuses. I also replaced a missing ground cable, replaced a bad ECM ground cable, reattached another ground and changed a cable end. Have not checked for any fusible links. Unplugged IAC and manually cracked the throttle. No fire.

Up until now this was a first crank fire right up kinda truck.

Have yet to test the MAP or unplug the SPOUT connector to see if the computer is bad and keeping the ignition timing too far advanced causing it to not fire. I believe a bad MAP can cause this, but have not had time to verify. I did just buy a new MAP to try tonight.

Any other direction I should go? Weak spark or bad coil?

I'm starting to scratch my head.

Fuel pressure regulator has been changed along with new vacuum hose. Fuel pressure good, pump holds prime, pump does not stay on longer than time allowed. New cap, rotor, plugs and wires. Tested push start TFI and coil, has spark at plug, PIP is good. Spark is a bit orange/ faint blue at plug.. Has compression on every cylinder. Every plug loads up with fuel, evenly across every cylinder, can smell it out of the exhaust. Base timing is good. New engine coolant temp sensor. Will not fire on ether even after manually shutting off the injectors, cleaning the cylinders out of fuel and drying the plugs. Basically drove it to where its parked, shut it off, went out the next day, no fire. Did find a broken 02 sensor wires but that will not cause a no start. No blown fuses. I also replaced a missing ground cable, replaced a bad ECM ground cable, reattached another ground and changed a cable end. Have not checked for any fusible links. Unplugged IAC and manually cracked the throttle. No fire.

Up until now this was a first crank fire right up kinda truck.

Have yet to test the MAP or unplug the SPOUT connector to see if the computer is bad and keeping the ignition timing too far advanced causing it to not fire. I believe a bad MAP can cause this, but have not had time to verify. I did just buy a new MAP to try tonight.

Any other direction I should go? Weak spark or bad coil?

I would check the coil, also look at the pickup coil in the distributor.

I had a bad coil on my Bronco, it was hard to start when cold, a lot of cranking.

I would check the coil, also look at the pickup coil in the distributor.

I had a bad coil on my Bronco, it was hard to start when cold, a lot of cranking.

Spark from the coil is blue but it's lost color by the time it hits the plug. The PIP is the pickup coil in these EFI isn't it? I figured those would either work not not work at all not contributing to spark loss.

I might be over thinking it.