Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Thanks Gary, thought it worth sharing, as I noted a comment on the forum the other day about some expensive mylar water shields someone was looking at. BTW, after finishing up the interior, I fired the old fella up and took him for a little ride. He's not seen sunlight in six months. A lot has been done to it during that time and I was pleased to find no issues resulting from the changes I made. Thanks again to you and Jim for the help on the 3G mod!

John - Looking good! Glad all the changes worked out. And I'll bet your voltmeter stays on the top of the scale, even at idle now. Right?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Gary, thought it worth sharing, as I noted a comment on the forum the other day about some expensive mylar water shields someone was looking at. BTW, after finishing up the interior, I fired the old fella up and took him for a little ride. He's not seen sunlight in six months. A lot has been done to it during that time and I was pleased to find no issues resulting from the changes I made. Thanks again to you and Jim for the help on the 3G mod!

Your truck looks really nice.

I hope you enjoyed your little ride! :nabble_smiley_cool:

Your truck looks really nice.

I hope you enjoyed your little ride! :nabble_smiley_cool:

Water shields looking good, it's stuff like that is what I like about this site...

Thanks again to Gary for setting it up.

John - Looking good! Glad all the changes worked out. And I'll bet your voltmeter stays on the top of the scale, even at idle now. Right?

Yes Gary, it does. Looks like around 16-18 volts. When I took it out the other day, I brought my fire extinguisher with me....lol!

The whole truck seems almost different now with all the changes. All that sound deadener along with the new carpet and seals has really made a difference. The doors sound incredibly solid when closed and I have little to no wind noise, though I didn't take it much above 45 mph. The total inside cab noise is incredibly reduced and I love it.

And, I absolutely love that Classic Console. I have an arm rest now and a dang cup holder....whoohoo! Seriously, it will make you change your mind on changing out the bench seat, as I had thought to do.

Yes Gary, it does. Looks like around 16-18 volts. When I took it out the other day, I brought my fire extinguisher with me....lol!

The whole truck seems almost different now with all the changes. All that sound deadener along with the new carpet and seals has really made a difference. The doors sound incredibly solid when closed and I have little to no wind noise, though I didn't take it much above 45 mph. The total inside cab noise is incredibly reduced and I love it.

And, I absolutely love that Classic Console. I have an arm rest now and a dang cup holder....whoohoo! Seriously, it will make you change your mind on changing out the bench seat, as I had thought to do.

Yipes! I hope you aren't at 16+ volts! You should even be to 15, as the regulator should stop it in the high 14's and then settle back to ~14.4 when the battery is fully charged.

As for the Classic Console, I'm thinking about one of those again. The lack of drink holders is a pain, and the glove box is ... almost worthless. So I think I'm going to talk to Janey about it tomorrow on our trip 'cause someone is getting a year older soon. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Oh yes, I should have commented on the truck. It is amazing how much difference the sound deadener makes. Seems like a whole new truck, not a tin can. Glad you like it. :nabble_smiley_wink:

16-18V would concern me John. :nabble_smiley_what:

I am not sure which regulator you have, but either it is malfunctioning or it is not getting a good connection to the output stud of the alternator.

Don't warp the plates or boil your battery.

That kind of voltage is no good for it.

Made a couple of water shields for my doors today and completed out the interior. I'm very pleased at how the water shields came out, not to mention it was all less than $15. From Ace Hardware, a $9 11 mil poly paint tarp and a roll of quality 3M tape. I think it's worth sharing, so basically made a rough template from paper and then a cardboard template for which the pattern could be drawn on the tarp. Cut out the water shield and taped the edges and then taped it to the door panel.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n96492/Water_Shield_1.jpghttp://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n96492/Watershield_2.jpghttp://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n96492/Watershield3.jpghttp://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n96492/Watershield4.jpghttp://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n96492/Watershield6.jpghttp://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n96492/Waatershiel5.jpghttp://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n96492/Watershield7.jpg

Same thing I did except I didnt do the cardboard template I just cut a piece of plastic sheeting to general size then fine tuned it. I also used clear gorilla tape to lock the plastic in place as well as to seal the plastic to the opening.

After doing that I actually noticed a difference in the interior cabin temperature. the AC was actually keeping up a bit better in summer time compared to before with the rotten paper shield that was mostly gone.