Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Would work fine for the bolts on the 5th-wheel bracket, but I'd rather not point a torch between the cab and the bed to get the camper tie downs off.

I'm hoping that the carriage heads for the 5th-wheel bracket bolts will hold and the nuts will come right off with an impact.

Well.... those forward bumper bracket bolts are about 2 1/2" from my gas tank!

But I didn't see any other way they were coming out.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not sure where my reply to Gary about his cam turned into a wall of text about intake manifolds, but whatever..

I also can't say much about stock cast iron intakes for the 302.

The one in my '85 GT didn't last any longer than the 4180, but that was long ago and I was a different person at 20 something than I am now.

I put the rear bumper back on my truck yesterday, after rattle canning the lower rear corners of the bed so I don't have to remove it for paint.

Hopefully I can find some time to wet sand and shoot the rest of it soon.

My tailgate letters are here but the new emblems are on a slow boat from China.

I'm going to need a hand to get the rack off if I want to paint the cab roof.

Its about matching the cam to your intended rpm range and not lugging the engine down but it goes further than just the cam you have to match the intake to the cam as well. Pointless having a high rise intake that works best at an rpm range outside of the rpm range of the cam you are using.

Basically everything has to be paired together properly to ensure max efficency which also translates into power and fuel economy. Just like how its counter productive to raise your final axle ratio to bring the engine rpm down on the highway taking the engine out of its most efficient rpm range. just about all engines have 2,500 rpm as the ideal highway rpm for being efficient but aftermarket it can be anything.

I'm not sure where my reply to Gary about his cam turned into a wall of text about intake manifolds, but whatever..

I also can't say much about stock cast iron intakes for the 302.

The one in my '85 GT didn't last any longer than the 4180, but that was long ago and I was a different person at 20 something than I am now.

I put the rear bumper back on my truck yesterday, after rattle canning the lower rear corners of the bed so I don't have to remove it for paint.

Hopefully I can find some time to wet sand and shoot the rest of it soon.

My tailgate letters are here but the new emblems are on a slow boat from China.

I'm going to need a hand to get the rack off if I want to paint the cab roof.

Its about matching the cam to your intended rpm range and not lugging the engine down but it goes further than just the cam you have to match the intake to the cam as well. Pointless having a high rise intake that works best at an rpm range outside of the rpm range of the cam you are using.

Basically everything has to be paired together properly to ensure max efficency which also translates into power and fuel economy. Just like how its counter productive to raise your final axle ratio to bring the engine rpm down on the highway taking the engine out of its most efficient rpm range. just about all engines have 2,500 rpm as the ideal highway rpm for being efficient but aftermarket it can be anything.

I have been very interested in reading the posts here about the different tranny's and mph and RPM's.

I never really thought about this when I was younger. If the truck started , I went to work.

Now that I am fixing my 84 F-150 4.9 up I am more into knowing these things.

I took the truck for it's first long ride yesterday. About 2 hours total and some highway driving.

My numbers were:

@70 mph (GPS Speed) I was around 1850 RPM according to my Bosch tach and 22 PSI on the Oil Gauge.

Tires are 16"

The coolant temp was around 180 and as high as 190 or so while sitting in traffic in 73 degree temp.

I believe I have the 4 speed OD tranny but not sure.

Overall it ran very well and looking forward to putting more work into now that it's warm again.

Do these numbers seem in the ball park?

Thanks and Happy Spring!

I have been very interested in reading the posts here about the different tranny's and mph and RPM's.

I never really thought about this when I was younger. If the truck started , I went to work.

Now that I am fixing my 84 F-150 4.9 up I am more into knowing these things.

I took the truck for it's first long ride yesterday. About 2 hours total and some highway driving.

My numbers were:

@70 mph (GPS Speed) I was around 1850 RPM according to my Bosch tach and 22 PSI on the Oil Gauge.

Tires are 16"

The coolant temp was around 180 and as high as 190 or so while sitting in traffic in 73 degree temp.

I believe I have the 4 speed OD tranny but not sure.

Overall it ran very well and looking forward to putting more work into now that it's warm again.

Do these numbers seem in the ball park?

Thanks and Happy Spring!

You have 16" rims on an F-150 from '84???

What is the tire size or rolling circumference?

You have 16" rims on an F-150 from '84???

What is the tire size or rolling circumference?

They are 225/75/R16

That's what was on their when I purchased it. I recently replaced them with all new tires of the same size.

They are 225/75/R16

That's what was on their when I purchased it. I recently replaced them with all new tires of the same size.

Handy to have when contemplating tire size changes.

BTW Gary.... Got my cluster regulator working, new temp sender, etc slowly but surely. Dummy that installed it had it wired wrong(me, raising hand, and ducking)

jg2020...That RPM @ 70 MPH is about what I have with mine 235/75/15, factory tach, 4.9/aod. 10/11 MPG

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Handy to have when contemplating tire size changes.

BTW Gary.... Got my cluster regulator working, new temp sender, etc slowly but surely. Dummy that installed it had it wired wrong(me, raising hand, and ducking)

jg2020...That RPM @ 70 MPH is about what I have with mine 235/75/15, factory tach, 4.9/aod. 10/11 MPG

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Glad you got it going. :nabble_anim_claps:

And that calculator is nice. I added a link to it from our page at Documentation/Driveline/Calculators.

They are 225/75/R16

Four new tires s always nice! :nabble_smiley_good:

And it's good they are working well with your gearing*

Does it say 16" on your door jamb sticker? Or did some PO swap rims?

I was looking at my spare the other day (while replacing my bumper brackets) and thinking about how many years it's been.

I really should get a new one, even though it is holding air and showing no signs of sidewall cracking.

Four new tires s always nice! :nabble_smiley_good:

And it's good they are working well with your gearing*

Does it say 16" on your door jamb sticker? Or did some PO swap rims?

I was looking at my spare the other day (while replacing my bumper brackets) and thinking about how many years it's been.

I really should get a new one, even though it is holding air and showing no signs of sidewall cracking.

Thanks for the info Bill!

Jim, I will take a look and a photo to upload today. They look like aftermarket rims to me.

New tires are the best!