Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Nothing directly on my truck but I have been doing a bunch of looking.

Been looking at flexplates for my truck as I didnt want to reuse my old one, when I drained my converter to do a fluid change few years back I had to tighten up the converter nuts a couple were some what loose. I also noticed the face side of the ring gear was worn quite a bit, its the original flexplate from when the truck was new. Problem is I cant find a good aftermarket brand that is overly built for my application.

Based off the parts and illustration guide it looks like mine should be the 164-tooth flex plate for my C6/302 combination and it has to be 50oz imbalance. There is only one part number for the '81 and up C6 flex plate which is E1TZ-6375-C which a search online brought up the ATP Z-193 flexplate with that part number as its interchange, its a 14.23" OD flex plate 164-tooth and 50oz imbalance with a 11 1/2" torque converter hole spread.

I did some more searching and I found TCI has a 164 tooth 50oz flexplate under the number 529620 but that had 2 1/2 stars on Summit with 7 reviews. Two of the 1 star reviews cite bad vibrations and the third 1 star review cited it didnt fit their converter that it was out of spec by 1/16". There is one 2 star review that it was welded poorly and the counter weight wasnt welded flat and had a gap on one end of it and it was so horribly welded it wouldnt clear the starter or the block plate. The final bad review was a 3 star that stated they werent happy at all as the flexplate had to be modified to work. For me the bad vibrations is troubling and they arent the oldest reviews those were made in 2018 and the newest review is from 2019. The three newest reviews are bad reviews. Even on Google its still 3 1/2 stars with 27 reviews with the newest one posted 8 months ago where the guy went through two of them firs tone was 0.040" run out second was 0.025" run out he ended up tossing both of them and using a stock style flexplate.

the ATP one on google has no reviews outside of summit with 2 reviews at 2 1/2 stars. One was a 4 star review stating good fit the other was a 1 star review stating his didnt come with a counter weight it appeared to have been drilled out.

So for me I am still on the hunt for a good quality flexplate otherwise I might just take a chance on the Pioneer brand HD flexplate on Rockauto number FRA214HD which is a 50oz imbalance with 164 teeth for $64.79. I just hate to use such a cheap flexplate when I will be running a Hughes XTM tow converter.

Im also still looking at dampners as well, I still am leaning towards the Dayco Street Performance balancer that is laser etched in 10* ATDC to 50* BTDC with another mark at 90* BTDC. But I did find a 50 oz imbalance TCI Rattler but no confirmation on if it will work with the alignment pointers on our trucks, the PB1084ST will work as its for a 11 o'clock timing pointer. Couldnt find any information on the pointer location on the Rattler.

Im also looking at the welding rods that gets shown on fb and youtube from time to time that uses a simple propane torch that will weld up metal where the repair is stronger than the surrounding metal. Im thinking about getting some of this and using this to fix my split aircleaner housing and get by till I can source something better that is reasonably priced. Im also thinking about trying it for some improvised baffling on my fuel tank, at least if this works there will be no risk of burning a hole through the tank itself and I wouldnt have to go inside just use a magnet to hold the baffling in place and heat the exterior of the tank with the torch and apply the welding rod through the opening.

Last thing I been looking at today is I found a dealership that has brand new the factory tow hooks for our trucks that bolt to the frame, they have both of them but with shipping and tax it comes out to $131.55 and I dont know if I want to spend that much or just wait on ebay for a set to be posted again with the hopes of it being cheaper.

Aside from that, trying to get a engine stand from jegs, first one fedex lost the same day they picked it up in Ohio, I was credited back by Jegs after they looked into it and I re ordered it fedex picked it up early today and its scheduled to be delivered to me tomorrow which I just dont see cause there is no scan today saying it has left Ohio. I hope this one doesnt get lost cause I am running out of time, my engine I dont know if Creb Engineering got started on it yet or not but 20 to 30 days is what he is shooting for to get the engine builds out and for me which tomorrow April 8th would be 20 days from my payment and 30 days would be April 18. My engine build is fixing to get quite interesting and I will be updating my EFI thread I started I am going to roll in the engine build to that thread as well since my plan is to build the EFI hardline on the engine stand. I did find out how ever that he balances all engines he builds, so this short block will have a OE crank that is either OE size or resized if it needs it, magnafluxed OE rods that are reconditioned with Seal Power hyper flat top pistons. So if he balances it like I am informed the short block should be a smooth running build for me.

Im just running out of time with so much to still do. I still have to order my Eastwood AN flaring turret and die set for my Eastwood bench flare tool so I can flare the annealed stainless steel 3/8" hardline to -6 AN flare for my connections. I also still have to get the OE 3/8 stainless steel supply line from inline tube for a long bed truck so I can chop it up and tweak it to fit in place of my OE 5/16" supply line. Still need to source the NOS 85/86 fuel tank sending unit. Gotta send out my headers to get them ceramic coated still and ship the distributor out to get it recurved. Still looking at Y pipes and I am just leaning towards getting one of the OE style replacement Y pipes with cat and just chop the cat off and straight pipe it. Maybe even go with 3" single pipe instead of 2 1/2", lots of reading Ive done many strongly suggest on our trucks and broncos to keep the down pipes OE 2 1/4" then after the merge enlarge from 2 1/2" to 3".

Hopefully I can get back on track so I can stop stressing over all that I still need to do.

Sourced a few more parts just have to see how much they will set me back. Being Green Sales Co I know the pricing is going to be quite high.

But they have the black center seat belt assembly that is on my wish list I bet it will be around $200 which I wont get it for that, I got the driver side with the retractor NOS for $140. Im also looking at the 302 timing cover they have listed on hand as well. Hopefully the price isnt too much for that, im willing to resell the Dorman timing cover to use a NOS Ford timing cover.

Glad to hear you like the PIAA horns. Have been looking at them every now and then.

So your truck had the single horn originally?

These are 85115?

Yes, the single horn was hardly working and is visible in the pic. The PIAA superior bass horns are nice. Not shockingly offensive and not to tweety. Going to add them to my F-150.

My Bronco has a flipping train horn, it was in when I got it. It is too much. I can see people cross their knees when i have to use it.

Glad to hear you like the PIAA horns. Have been looking at them every now and then.

So your truck had the single horn originally?

These are 85115?

Yes, the single horn was hardly working and is visible in the pic. The PIAA superior bass horns are nice. Not shockingly offensive and not to tweety. Going to add them to my F-150.

My Bronco has a flipping train horn, it was in when I got it. It is too much. I can see people cross their knees when i have to use it.

Thanks. Been looking at them vs the Hella DL50.

Since my truck came with the two horns already they sound fine to me but replacing the is just something low on the wishlist.

Yeah, I've never understood the train horn scene on a non-specialized street driven vehicle. Maybe that's because I've only seen them used in order to elicit a surprised response from others.

Thanks. Been looking at them vs the Hella DL50.

Since my truck came with the two horns already they sound fine to me but replacing the is just something low on the wishlist.

Yeah, I've never understood the train horn scene on a non-specialized street driven vehicle. Maybe that's because I've only seen them used in order to elicit a surprised response from others.

Put a train horn on Ari's Newmar motor coach before he left for Florida two Thanksgivings ago.

There was already onboard air, and since his special interest is lights and sirens he HAD to have the loudest one he could find.

I can think of a lot of things I'd do with $1,000 before I bought a horn.

I have a pair of Fiamm dual tone horns (or maybe Wolo, now?)

I forget when I last changed them...

But with the relay they are worlds better than the stock single horn I had.

Put a train horn on Ari's Newmar motor coach before he left for Florida two Thanksgivings ago.

There was already onboard air, and since his special interest is lights and sirens he HAD to have the loudest one he could find.

I can think of a lot of things I'd do with $1,000 before I bought a horn.

I have a pair of Fiamm dual tone horns (or maybe Wolo, now?)

I forget when I last changed them...

But with the relay they are worlds better than the stock single horn I had.

I fear I may never get this bumper off and my bed corner welded in.

Those bracket nuts are rusted bad!

The gas tank is too close for comfort to use the gas axe, the receiver hitch side plates, spare tire and backup lights have to go (at a minimum)

and..... it's supposed to rain all weekend!

Yay me! :nabble_smiley_hurt:

I fear I may never get this bumper off and my bed corner welded in.

Those bracket nuts are rusted bad!

The gas tank is too close for comfort to use the gas axe, the receiver hitch side plates, spare tire and backup lights have to go (at a minimum)

and..... it's supposed to rain all weekend!

Yay me! :nabble_smiley_hurt:

I like my Bull Horn. Sure seems appropriate. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Jim - Sorry for your woes. Hope you get some better weather soon.

Sourced a few more parts just have to see how much they will set me back. Being Green Sales Co I know the pricing is going to be quite high.

But they have the black center seat belt assembly that is on my wish list I bet it will be around $200 which I wont get it for that, I got the driver side with the retractor NOS for $140. Im also looking at the 302 timing cover they have listed on hand as well. Hopefully the price isnt too much for that, im willing to resell the Dorman timing cover to use a NOS Ford timing cover.

Found a NOS oil pan guy is a little outrageous for the price hes wanting of $175 between oil pan and shipping then that doesnt include the tax that would be charged at checkout as well.

Sent him a offer of $55 for the oil pan which would bring his $45 shipping to a grand total of $100 which I think is well over enough for a NOS oil pan when one can buy Dorman replacement stock oil pans for $40 - $45 with free shipping. Hopefully he takes it cause I would prefer a NOS OE pan over a dorman but not so much so that I will willingly allow myself to be ripped off.

Found a NOS oil pan guy is a little outrageous for the price hes wanting of $175 between oil pan and shipping then that doesnt include the tax that would be charged at checkout as well.

Sent him a offer of $55 for the oil pan which would bring his $45 shipping to a grand total of $100 which I think is well over enough for a NOS oil pan when one can buy Dorman replacement stock oil pans for $40 - $45 with free shipping. Hopefully he takes it cause I would prefer a NOS OE pan over a dorman but not so much so that I will willingly allow myself to be ripped off.

Well I got the oil pan, I didnt get it for $100 but for $129 after tax but thats better than $180 after tax.

Now I just have to wait till it gets in to see how hard it is to strip the grey paint off the oil pan both inside and outside. I dont trust having paint on the inside of the oil pan and I dont know why Ford would paint the inside of the pan as well knowing the paint can flake off.