Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

If you're pivoting solely on a bolt -without any triangulation- it won't be long before it bends, or rips a chunk of iron out of the head.

Bill will back me up on this.

That's why I asked the question....LOL! I suspect it's just temp mounted.

Sorry, I must've misunderstood your first point. Are you referring to this bracket? I'm pretty sure that's what the smog pump used to be mounted on?

PXL_20210208_1413320732.jpg.fa604d5d6eb1d43c6840e1642729fe4b.jpg

By triangulation do you mean here? It's attached at these three points, the top and bottom bolt holes of the alternator and the adjustment rail...is that not adequate?? It seems pretty stock to me? 🤔

PXL_20210208_1413320733.jpg.0ee6c2f9d28a4796e07ae6d3921bfa78.jpg

Sorry, I must've misunderstood your first point. Are you referring to this bracket? I'm pretty sure that's what the smog pump used to be mounted on?

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n87897/PXL_20210208_141332073~2.jpg

What is that bracket attached to on the other end?

By triangulation do you mean here? It's attached at these three points, the top and bottom bolt holes of the alternator and the adjustment rail...is that not adequate?? It seems pretty stock to me? 🤔

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n87897/PXL_20210208_141332073~3.jpg

Is there a bracket on the back of the alternator as well? I see the long adjuster bracket under the front of the alternator.

It's attached here on the block

PXL_20210208_201911672.jpg.468eb47260bd2568a9fee84b230845cc.jpg

and the top bolt is attached here...sorry i cant seem to figure out how to rotate photos, i took it portrait :s

PXL_20210208_202023189.jpg.511cd58e99831df9842438ff380b40b2.jpg

so I'm looking at the mount page in the documentation, am i missing this bracket?? is that the problem??

ink.png.3d1c3696fafb2fed24aa472c353db228.png

You have nothing between the pivot bolt head and the engine, opposing belt tension.

And,of course, as the belt speeds up it wants to become round so it pulls even harder.

There is typically a triangular plate that covers most of the area between your two top arrows.

It has two points mounted at the engine so the belt cannot get the alternator pulley out of line.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n87897/PXL_20210208_141332073~2.jpg

What is that bracket attached to on the other end?

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n87897/PXL_20210208_141332073~3.jpg

Is there a bracket on the back of the alternator as well? I see the long adjuster bracket under the front of the alternator.

fr0bert...If you have a Upull salvage yard, go there, you can see how the bracket fits, also get all the bolts, etc you need to fit it correctly. I don't think you have to get off a truck, but off the same engine you have in your truck.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on the fit.

fr0bert...If you have a Upull salvage yard, go there, you can see how the bracket fits, also get all the bolts, etc you need to fit it correctly. I don't think you have to get off a truck, but off the same engine you have in your truck.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on the fit.

It's a 351. He could get one off a 302 also.

But if he doesn't have an air pump he could just bang one out of 1/8 steel.

Car engines often have a low mount alternator, and that didn't work for me.

V-belts mean it's going to be pre-'85, or an H.O.

I have a aftermarket (L&L) bracket.

I'm sure someone makes one for Windsors too.