Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Brutus had a very interesting weekend, He was pulled via a tow chain to a shop in Hester, Louisiana. As some of you know already, we broke a bolt off the thermostat housing. We attempted to drill it with a left hand drill bit in hopes it would back out, well that didn't work, but it did drill a nice hole in the bolt. Next came the ez out. and thats where it stopped when the ez out went SNAP.... After doing much research, i found out the only way to get a broken ez out out is to use a masonary drill bit which i dont have. Knowing this just isn't going to work, i went ahead and ordered some from Amazon and as usual, posted my progress and setbacks on facebook. My neighbor down the street called me and ask me what was going on and I told him. He said he had the same problem happen to him, and he ask me what i plan to do and i told him. He told me he would call me back. He called me back and told me, " I just spoke to Joey ( Joey is a mechanic that owns a shop in Hester) he said there is nothing on this earth that you can use to get the ez out out, tow it to the shop in the morning and i will blast it out for you" So Sunday morning, here we go. we put everything in the back of Brutus and took us a trip to Hester. Once there, I think we were there for no more then 15 minutes. He took a torch and blasted the ez out and the rest of the broken bolt out, re-tapped it and even put my thermostat housing back on, filled it with water and we drove it home. I ask him how much i owe, he told me you dont owe me anything, just next time this happens, just dont try it yourself, call me. Yesss Sir!! and we put our happy little buts in Brutus, started it and drove home.

The new carpet came in. I ended up ordering it from stockinteriors.com It was just a few bucks more then the the carpet at rockauto and so on so i wanted to give them a try because they offer many different styles of carpet, and the ranchero has that ultra shag carpet that needs to be replaced and up until i found these people, i though i was going to have to go with regular carpet. Anyway, the carpet came in and i have it laid out. The color is dead on perfect and the quality is very good from what i can see. That's going to be next weekends project

Brutus had a very interesting weekend, He was pulled via a tow chain to a shop in Hester, Louisiana. As some of you know already, we broke a bolt off the thermostat housing. We attempted to drill it with a left hand drill bit in hopes it would back out, well that didn't work, but it did drill a nice hole in the bolt. Next came the ez out. and thats where it stopped when the ez out went SNAP.... After doing much research, i found out the only way to get a broken ez out out is to use a masonary drill bit which i dont have. Knowing this just isn't going to work, i went ahead and ordered some from Amazon and as usual, posted my progress and setbacks on facebook. My neighbor down the street called me and ask me what was going on and I told him. He said he had the same problem happen to him, and he ask me what i plan to do and i told him. He told me he would call me back. He called me back and told me, " I just spoke to Joey ( Joey is a mechanic that owns a shop in Hester) he said there is nothing on this earth that you can use to get the ez out out, tow it to the shop in the morning and i will blast it out for you" So Sunday morning, here we go. we put everything in the back of Brutus and took us a trip to Hester. Once there, I think we were there for no more then 15 minutes. He took a torch and blasted the ez out and the rest of the broken bolt out, re-tapped it and even put my thermostat housing back on, filled it with water and we drove it home. I ask him how much i owe, he told me you dont owe me anything, just next time this happens, just dont try it yourself, call me. Yesss Sir!! and we put our happy little buts in Brutus, started it and drove home.

The new carpet came in. I ended up ordering it from stockinteriors.com It was just a few bucks more then the the carpet at rockauto and so on so i wanted to give them a try because they offer many different styles of carpet, and the ranchero has that ultra shag carpet that needs to be replaced and up until i found these people, i though i was going to have to go with regular carpet. Anyway, the carpet came in and i have it laid out. The color is dead on perfect and the quality is very good from what i can see. That's going to be next weekends project

A masonry bit is only useful because it is carbide tipped.

But it doesn't have a good geometry or even the 'proper' carbide for hardened steel like an EZ-Out or a tap.

That's why I said carbide burr, or EDM.

But a torch works too. 👍

Nothing is stuck -when it's molten-

Glad you like your carpet!

I looked at John's T-50 bit and think about these seatbelt retainer screws...

I've done that a bunch of times, but I'm better and better at using an impact to work those screws back and forth, flushing with PB Blaster to get them loose without stripping.

Thank you both!

I'm not sure why Ford decided they should turn the oil pressure gauge into another idiot light, there's already a warning lamp that comes on at 5 psi.

Jim, I did Darth's 1995 cluster that way and put the older sender in the port on the back of the block.

I'm pretty sure the '88, '89, '90 trucks still had the sender.

Ford just put the resistor in so the gauge would never go higher than 'O'

I had to do the same thing on a Chevy G30 van my wife's cousin owns. All the accessories on the front of the engine are mounted to a big steel yoke that is attached to the four bolts where the 1955-57 front motor mounts went (GM never quit using providing those holes) the driver's side ones had sheared and one hole had a broken drill bit, the other a broken ez-out. I borrowed a plasma cutter from a friend and burned them both out. They had been intercoursed with by two different shops here and ended up oversized. I was able to drill the resulting mess out and made two "inserts" from gr8 1/2-20 bolts drilled and tapped for 3/8-16.

One of the things (other than being in a van) was the engine is a special HD model with apparently a high nickel content cast iron and is a royal PITA to drill into.

• 2 weeks later...

The forum software is not advanced enough to read the metadata encoded in the images.

While the phone or camera IS advanced enough to tell which way is up, what device and settings were used and exactly where you were when the picture was taken, the forum is blind to that.

(Which is not exactly bad, because it amounts to some inkling of privacy from creepers in our surveillance state)

Yep, and one way to properly rotate your pics is to open them in an editor app and then save them. The editor usually recognizes the camera's orientation code and rotates it, but if not you can rotate it manually. Then save it, but save it as a file about 500 Kb as anything larger than 1 Mb can't be uploaded to the forum.

I've been using the rustoleum plastic satin canyon black on the dash trim to match. The door panels I bought from LMC and the floor of the cab I had sprayed with bed liner when I had the bed sprayed - just after painting the truck. I use this truck and need it easy to clean - sprayed in bed liner seemed the way to go.

I've been using the rustoleum plastic satin canyon black on the dash trim to match. The door panels I bought from LMC and the floor of the cab I had sprayed with bed liner when I had the bed sprayed - just after painting the truck. I use this truck and need it easy to clean - sprayed in bed liner seemed the way to go.

I figured I’d attempt to get the family on board with the project underway, no one was excited as I was hahah. His, hers, and two junior wrenchers. Browse his store, lots of selection.

TeePublic Bullnose T-Shirt

240FBCE2-6097-4AB4-9C7E-EA53C9AC5179.jpeg.b91ddbb9af3dd216d9099b087044162b.jpeg

I figured I’d attempt to get the family on board with the project underway, no one was excited as I was hahah. His, hers, and two junior wrenchers. Browse his store, lots of selection.

TeePublic Bullnose T-Shirt

Today I had 4 new tires and a front end alignment done.

The ride is definitely better but I still have some wandering steering , especially over bumps and bumps going around curves. I replaced the front shocks already.

Kinda of a jerky back and forth feeling.

Any advice as to what to look at next?

Those shirts are awesome !

Thanks