Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Both valve covers were badged "OMC 460"

The paint stripper turned the clear covering to goo so I worked them off with the heat gun.

The crinkle didn't end up as even as I would have liked, and I didn't get all the nicks out of the ribs prior to paint.

But I'm happy to have no leaks and like the look.

Need to paint the fill neck and get a grommet for the new breather now.

They look great. 👍 So good that I may order the other set on eBay. Tim has replied that his supplier doesn't have the flat ones in stock and doesn't have an ETA, so the OMC's look like the way to go.

What do you thing about placing wire separators in the blank spot? Or, maybe I could come up with a special badge?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They look great. 👍 So good that I may order the other set on eBay. Tim has replied that his supplier doesn't have the flat ones in stock and doesn't have an ETA, so the OMC's look like the way to go.

What do you thing about placing wire separators in the blank spot? Or, maybe I could come up with a special badge?

I really don't know what I'm going to do about mounting the wire separators.

For a second I thought about cutting the ones off my tin valve covers, but they are in great shape due to being oiled all the time.

I would rather re-home them.

Sure you could make some kind of badge the go there.

Wasn't it Reamer who used to make those for various 'special edition' cars and trucks?

I really don't know what I'm going to do about mounting the wire separators.

For a second I thought about cutting the ones off my tin valve covers, but they are in great shape due to being oiled all the time.

I would rather re-home them.

Sure you could make some kind of badge the go there.

Wasn't it Reamer who used to make those for various 'special edition' cars and trucks?

What size are those rectangles on the valve covers? I'm thinking both about a label to put there as well as the base for a wire separator.

And, I think it was Reamer. Perhaps he will chime in.

One possibility is this from CJ's, which measures 7/8" x 3-1/4":

emh13.thumb.jpg.8333bb524c4f0f152ecb5d74a1ab9dd0.jpg

What size are those rectangles on the valve covers? I'm thinking both about a label to put there as well as the base for a wire separator.

Had to replace this little PITA today, went to get fuel for the lawn equipment (non-ethanol) and noticed a hot antifreeze odor. Since it was a short trip mostly a lower speeds I figured I would check when I got home. Opened the hood, and sure enough the bypass hose had split.

DSCN2297.jpg.fdd7abb593ab14d0ed407f99f0c3cb6a.jpg

DSCN2298.jpg.0dbe394ad646a35cf73a18ffae09d8e2.jpg

Had to replace this little PITA today, went to get fuel for the lawn equipment (non-ethanol) and noticed a hot antifreeze odor. Since it was a short trip mostly a lower speeds I figured I would check when I got home. Opened the hood, and sure enough the bypass hose had split.

Bummer! Those things are a pain. Did you get it on w/o removing anything else?

That's one advantage of the 335 series engines - internal bypass so no hose. The downside is that you have to have the right thermostat, but since Tim is now having those made it isn't a problem.

Gary,

The flat spot is 1 1/2" x just under 4"

You can change the bypass if you cut it just right and fold it in half to get it on.

Someone could have made a killing if they had come up with a tube that could be swapped in when the water pump is replaced.

Gary,

The flat spot is 1 1/2" x just under 4"

You can change the bypass if you cut it just right and fold it in half to get it on.

Someone could have made a killing if they had come up with a tube that could be swapped in when the water pump is replaced.

Jim - I think you are saying a decal could be cut and installed in the recess if folded in half and laid in. Like maybe a 460 decal? Thanks. 👍

Finally got the transfer case in the 1981. The job was extra difficult because my floor jack failed so it was pretty much just a matter of walking it up on blocks as high as I could and then muscling it into place... not my preferred tactic.

IMG_5307.jpg.9b9ef4c54153aa68181147f0a3f252ae.jpg

It really bothered me to put it in without cleaning it, opening it, and correcting the oil pump flange design flaw. I can also tell both input and output seals are tired. But the show must go on! Eventually I want to replace this transfer case with the gear vendor one, and have the drive shaft shortened. But that will have to be another day and another chapter in the build process.

IMG_5309.jpg.590c105db775db4f9a7eda36803bfc06.jpg

The drive shafts would have gone in, but the U joints did not have grease fittings. I draw the line there, I'm not installing U joints that I can't grease. Hopefully by Wednesday or Thursday I will be able to test drive it around the block and give the 4x4 a try 🙂

Edit: I'm not quite sure why my photos are showing up inverted. I wonder if it has to do with the phone orientation while typing??? Let's try inserting them again... just to test it, with the phone upright:

IMG_5307.jpg.9b9ef4c54153aa68181147f0a3f252ae.jpg

IMG_5312.thumb.jpg.3698823386d168a7920e03a666426eb3.jpg

IMG_5313.jpg.4869216adb59704bd8b324e3d9735bd4.jpg